Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal conditioning period for brews in bottles

Options
  • 12-05-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peps think is the ideal time to drink your brews (kitbrews) after you have bottled. The kits usually say after 3 weeks but they don't taste to good do they at that stage.
    My oldest brew is about 5 weeks old now (Coopers Aus Pale Ale) and it has been tasting pretty good in the last week, will the taste improve much over the next week.
    I'm thinking maybe 3 months would be optimum but I don't have enough experience to have this opinion, what do you guys reckon ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Three weeks does me. I find hop freshness starts to deteriorate noticeably after three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

1 week tastes no different than a few weeks for me usually but stouts do seem to need more!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I've generally found that after 3 weeks the carbination usually comes good. Anything before that and it can be quite flat, little head retention, few bubbles. I use PET bottles so can tell how carbed the bottles are by giving them a squeeze. Anything upward of three weeks is good with me. With the stouts I've done it is anything upward of about 6 weeks.

Just bottled a Yorkshire Bitter and am planning on leaving this for about a month before sampling. And sure won't have them all polished off before my self-enforced soberity for the month of July (might end up being 6-weeks in the end). This'll mean that it'll have some good time conditionning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Would the fact that I'm using tap water make any difference to the taste of my brews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Would the fact that I'm using tap water make any difference to the taste of my brews

If you can detect noticable chlorine when you drink water from your tap, then yes, it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

mmm I think that could be the problem, I have noticed a chlorine type taste from the brews for a few weeks after secondary primer but it usually goes after 3 or so weeks, must try my next brew with filtered water

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

mmm I think that could be the problem, I have noticed a chlorine type taste from the brews for a few weeks after secondary primer but it usually goes after 3 or so weeks, must try my next brew with filtered water

I've started to use Bottled water from Lidl for my brews since I moved to a rural area. The water has a very high lime content and am just being ultra-cautious with it. If doing a hop tea I'd have no problem using the tap water though I would make sure to filter it... just to take some of the lime out of it. There is still loads of lime left though... my poor kettle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

2 weeks to a month is what I leave, seems to work fine. I think a month is the perfect point tbh, but it's always hard to wait that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

You could also buy camden tablets for removing clorine/cloramines ,half one crushed to each brew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've found mine are good to start drinking at three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have heard the chlorine escapes from tap water after a day or so being lefty to sit - surely this would happen in a fermenter too?

Sky King wrote: »
    surely this would happen in a fermenter too?
    AFAIK, the brewing/fermenting process turns the chlorine into chloraphenols, which don't go anywhere.

Ah right.

I go out to the folks house myself for water anyway, they are on a group scheme. My own tap water tastes like it came out of the pool at Mosney.

Ah right.

I go out to the folks house myself for water anyway, they are on a group scheme. My own tap water tastes like it came out of the pool at Mosney.

Stray plasters in it?

Must add to the taste of the beer!

'If you see a plaster, drink it faster'

I have heard the chlorine escapes from tap water after a day or so being lefty to sit - surely this would happen in a fermenter too?

Clorine yes but not cloramine it does not evaporate , i found the camden tabs good .

When do the campden tabs go in?

Before the boil? when pitching the yeast?

When do the campden tabs go in?

Before the boil? when pitching the yeast?

Half one ,crushed then add to the 18- 20 or so ltrs of cold water ,at start ,then add water to kit mixture after dissolved into f.v. Then pitch yeast last when you have correct temp etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Generally I drink them after four weeks of conditioning. Wheats are ready pretty much after two weeks and I don't find they get any better or worse after a long length of time. I have found the longer you leave the bottles in the fridge the smaller the bubbles get, after fully carbonating.

I kept a coopers lager for over 12months. Clear as day and lovely sized bubbles.

I had a Coopers Draught that got worse over a longer period. Medicinal taste got stronger with time.

Are these campden tablets readily available anywhere bricks and mortar? Doing a large brew day this weekend, and a few previous brews have had a fairly strong chlorine taste from them that we need to eliminate.

• Advertisement

Try camping supplies shops.

Are these campden tablets readily available anywhere bricks and mortar? Doing a large brew day this weekend, and a few previous brews have had a fairly strong chlorine taste from them that we need to eliminate.

Some tesco stores ,clear water d11 has them

tteknulp wrote: »
    Some tesco stores ,clear water d11 has them

Really? Do you know exactly where in the store they are? I live in Finglas so could drop in this afternoon.

Really? Do you know exactly where in the store they are? I live in Finglas so could drop in this afternoon.

I seen them in homebrew section a few weeks ago ,beside caps,bottles etc....

Youngs brand ,in a white container

Thanks for that, I picked up 2x100 - so just to be clear.

I use a half a tablet in 20 litres, how long should it be left?

I'm doing an extract, not a kit.

Thanks for that, I picked up 2x100 - so just to be clear.

I use a half a tablet in 20 litres, how long should it be left?

I'm doing an extract, not a kit.

Left ? as stated above ,it disolves ,and chemical reaction occurs with clorine etc.. Thats it

Ah right, so it's an immediate thing, I didn't know that.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

sorry, slight thread hijack... but it is conditioning period related - can you condition for too long? I've part of a batch (Coopers Canadian Blonde ale) of my first brew which I'm hoping will improve with age :) I brewed it in mid Jan, so it's been conditioning for about 5 months so far, it wasn't bad, but I just didn't get to drinking it yet - will it still be okay if it hasn't been refrigerated and subject to some (pretty minor, slow) temperature fluctuations?

There are a lot of variables there, cyburger, and the biggest factor is personal taste. It's not likely to "go off" if that's what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

fair point on the variables.

If I was to have a more... stable conditioning environment, is there a maximum time that a homebrew will keep at 18-19 degrees celsius before you should fridge it, or is it all just down to experimentation and personal taste?

Advertisement