Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers on June 1st, please vote on venue! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Porterhouse, Temple Bar or Nassau Street.
    Well, balls. My stepdad is playing the "overprotective parent" card and has forbidden me from going anywhere near Parnell Street at night. Apparently, it's full of unsavoury characters eager to prey on a single white female such as myself. :mad: :(
    The Woolshed is out. He hasn't raised any objections to Temple Bar, though, so the Foggy Dew would be a safe bet.
    Raging. I like the Woolshed. :mad:
    Stupid parents giving a damn about my personal safety...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

That tea place that RhoDoDenDron mentioned for pre-drinking tea!
    McChubbin wrote: »
    Well, balls. My stepdad is playing the "overprotective parent" card and has forbidden me from going anywhere near Parnell Street at night. Apparently, it's full of unsavoury characters eager to prey on a single white female such as myself. :mad: :(
    The Woolshed is out. He hasn't raised any objections to Temple Bar, though, so the Foggy Dew would be a safe bet.

Tbh, temple bar is full of a lot more unsavoury characters than those you would see in the woolshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Bernard Shaw

If you're with a group of people, surely you'd be safe enough? It's looking like the Woolshed so far, but that could change, all depends on how the voting goes.

Bernard Shaw
    Tbh, temple bar is full of a lot more unsavoury characters than those you would see in the woolshed.

This. I've never had any issues in The Woolshed, everyone there seems to be there for a few beers and a laugh. Scumbags hone in on Temple Bar tbh.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    This. I've never had any issues in The Woolshed, everyone there seems to be there for a few beers and a laugh. Scumbags hone in on Temple Bar tbh.

I haven't been in the woolshed a lot, but any time I have been its always had a nice laid back vibe. I wouldn't be at all worried about drinking there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

True, true, but my stepdad has completely vetoed the idea. If it turns out to be the Woolshed, I can't go. FFS, I'm 25 years old. Wish they'd stop being so ****ing overprotective. :mad:
    It would be a lot easier if there was a Swords meetup, though. Easier to get home for one. I go along with this crap from my parents for the sake of an easy life. I tried to reason with him regarding being with a group of people but he pulled the "strangers on the internet" card and said "You don't know these people. I'd prefer if you were somewhere local and safer."
    URGH. It's so frustrating. This is why I rarely if ever have nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

The Woolshed.
    That's a load of crap. I lived on Parnell Street for a year and never even came across anyone unsavoury. Templebar is busy, which is both a good and a bad thing.

And anyway, you'll be with a bunch of scary tattooed people! El problemo? :D

Bernard Shaw
    I haven't been in the woolshed a lot, but any time I have been its always had a nice laid back vibe. I wouldn't be at all worried about drinking there

I've been there 50 times easily. It's ALWAYS laid back and chilled out. The only thing that irritates me is how hot it gets when it's packed. But yeah, no safety issues in the place at all, and Eddie (the bouncer) is on his toes. He also patrols the pub itself during the night, not just the doors.

Bernard Shaw
    True, true, but my stepdad has completely vetoed the idea. If it turns out to be the Woolshed, I can't go. FFS, I'm 25 years old. Wish they'd stop being so ****ing overprotective. :mad:
    It would be a lot easier if there was a Swords meetup, though. Easier to get home for one. I go along with this crap from my parents for the sake of an easy life. I tried to reason with him regarding being with a group of people but he pulled the "strangers on the internet" card and said "You don't know these people. I'd prefer if you were somewhere local and safer."

Swords would be easier for you, but more awkward for almost everyone else tbh, that's why it's usually in town, it's only fair to accommodate as many people as possible.

Why not just not tell them so much? My mam has accepted me meeting people from the internet, after I told her how much I loved the April beers, but if I don't want them knowing where I'm going, I just say I'm meeting friends for a few drinks. You're 25, the venue hasn't even been decided, so why bring unnecessary hassle and stress upon yourself by telling them?

Without being rude here, if my dad told me not to go somewhere because HE thought it was full of unsavouries id politely tell him where to shove it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Market Bar
    Without being rude here, if my dad told me not to go somewhere because HE thought it was full of unsavouries id politely tell him where to shove it...

Yeah but you're from Tallaght. :pac:

The Woolshed.
    I very much second the above sentiment of circumventing their "approval".

It's not like you're 15, they're being out of line to tell you where you can and can't go.

Orim wrote: »
    Yeah but you're from Tallaght. :pac:

Yeah..... the posh part though

Bernard Shaw
    I very much second the above sentiment of circumventing their "approval".

It's not like you're 15, they're being out of line to tell you where you can and can't go.

In fairness, if you live at home (at any age), you should abide by your parents' rules.

That said, my folks are pretty over-protective, but they'd never dream of telling me where I can and can't go. They freak out a little about me meeting people from the internet (I even flew to London a few times to meet people!), but as long I send a text their way, they're fine. At the end of the day, you're an adult, you're entitled to some level of independence, and there's no necessity to tell your parents the exact street/pub you're going to, and the exact people you're meeting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I know ye have to respect their wishes if you're under their roof, but that's mad!

Bernard Shaw
    jenizzle wrote: »
    I know ye have to respect their wishes if you're under their roof, but that's mad!

Respecting wishes is one thing, allowing yourself to be dictated to and treated like an 11 year old is a whole other story.

McChubbin, wasn't this an issue at the last beers we were arranging, too? Why are you asking your parents for permission to go out? Just tell them you're going out with friends and give them the time you'll be home at. It's not like you haven't got a phone you can text them from.I just don't get why you'd give them so much information voluntarily, when they were freaking out about going to Hell the last time.

Market Bar
    Yeah..... the posh part though

Reminds me of an old joke. Why is the shopping centre called the square?

Cause people from tallaght can't spell pyramid :pac:

@McChubbin: I'm coming from Sword as well so you can say you have a gentleman* protector.

* no sniggering any of you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Never had any issues with Parnell Street myself. Perhaps your stepdad is being slightly harsh on the area. I know the east side of the street (the Fibbers end) has a bit of a reputation but that's just being a tad silly

The Woolshed.
    Esoteric_ wrote: »
    In fairness, if you live at home (at any age), you should abide by your parents' rules.

Abiding by house rules and general life rules are different though, in my opinion. Saying "don't do drugs off the good coffee table" is a little different to "don't go certain places and be around certain people".

When you apply that kind of logic to other circumstances, you see how crazy it is. And besides, it should be basic respect not to make orders like that to a mature adult. Advise is fine, but telling them point-blank "no" isn't appropriate.

Gosh, I do seem to drag everything off topic! :eek:

Market Bar

Staying on topic too mainstream for you? :pac:

• Advertisement

Bernard Shaw
    Abiding by house rules and general life rules are different though, in my opinion. Saying "don't do drugs off the good coffee table" is a little different to "don't go certain places and be around certain people".

When you apply that kind of logic to other circumstances, you see how crazy it is. And besides, it should be basic respect not to make orders like that to a mature adult. Advise is fine, but telling them point-blank "no" isn't appropriate.

Nah, I agree with you on that 100%. I was saying that in general, abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean being told where you can and cannot go as an adult.

The fact that this was an issue with Club Hell for the last beers makes me wonder why she'd tell her parents this time, especially when the venue hasn't even been decided!

The Woolshed.
    Orim wrote: »
    Staying on topic too mainstream for you? :pac:

Man, there like ... IS no topic. Topic is just a concept constructed by the MAN to get you down! I'm neither inside or outiside the topic, I just kind of ... AM, y'know?

Bernard Shaw
    Man, there like ... IS no topic. Topic is just a concept constructed by the MAN to get you down! I'm neither inside or outiside the topic, I just kind of ... AM STONED, y'know?

FYP. :D

The Woolshed.
    Just sayin, you're all lucky I use my incredible hipster-potential for good and not for evil! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just sayin, you're all lucky I use my incredible hipster-potential for good and not for evil! :D

True, remember what happened the last time hipster powers were used for evil :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's a bit mean :( sure we're all lovely so your dad doesn't have to worry!

I've been going to beers since I was 17 and meeting people off the Internet since 15 =\ not that my mother knew though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

P_1 wrote: »
    True, remember what happened the last time hipster powers were used for evil :P

tumblr_m1uh6sG99t1r7g22ro1_400.jpg

The Woolshed.
    Adiboo wrote: »
    tumblr_m1uh6sG99t1r7g22ro1_400.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of hipster-Mario

"Your princess is in another castle. You've probably never heard of it"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've been going to beers since I was 17 and meeting people off the Internet since 15 =\ not that my mother knew though.

I went to London to meet people off the internet when I was 16 :eek: Granted, my parents were in London too but they didn't know where I was going or who I was going to be with... they just sort of trusted me... Worked out.

If you want to tell them I'm going (I'm a responsible mammy :p ) that's fine... I can't though cos I've got my stoopid school reunion that night... and I organised the bloody thing so I have to show my face.

• Advertisement

You dirty underager :p

Advertisement