Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callers thi Revenue have credit card details stolen by Abtran employee - Mod note #9

Options
  • 12-05-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Revenues decision to outsource property tax wireless to a low cost callcentre sweatshop in Cork is being queeied after callers had credit cad details they gave fraudulently used for purchases on the Internet.

Revenue has already been embarresed when it was revealed that the company to which it is paying millions is registered in the British Virgin Islands.

Abtran hit Tge headlines last year when it's disastrous handling of the student grant application processing which had been outsourced by the Dept of Education caused widespread hardship for students.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It was just on the rte news at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I've never heard anything positive about Abtran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Its mostly staffed by starving students and those on short term contracts I think? I suppose there's more scope for fraud.. Glad I haven't paid my property tax yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

'Eleven members of the public were affected by the alleged fraud attempt but no one has suffered any losses.'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/property-tax-security-breach-was-discovered-quickly-594236.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

'Eleven members of the public were affected by the alleged fraud attempt but no one has suffered any losses.'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/property-tax-security-breach-was-discovered-quickly-594236.html

yet, probably been sold on to some gang. it doesnt surprise me really government more than likely went with the lowest bidder to their tender!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

yet, probably been sold on to some gang. it doesnt surprise me really government more than likely went with the lowest bidder to their tender!

And people would be complaining also if they didn't go with lowest for wasting money!

So let me get this straight...in a company of hundreds, one person "stole" peoples CC numbers by asking them for the numbers on the phone. He was caught.
    And people are making a big deal of this why? There are gonna be bad apples in every group of people...I am surprised it doesn't happen more often to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm not going to let this drift into an Abtran bashing thread please lads, as Ludi says, this was one person who committed a criminal act.

Like them or not, Abtran provide employment for nearly 1000 people across Cork, so keep it on topic please.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

BBoyle7 wrote: »
    Just heard Abtran had another huge messup, They sent an sms to social workers that are registered with their regulator CORU, (another Gov quango who outsourced their work to Abtran) but Abtran sent it from their eFlow account so all social workers received a message from eFlow to requeting them to send in their official documents to them!! Wonder the Data Protection implications for that messup, not good if eflow are now regulating healthcare professionals!!!
    Just heard from where? It would appear as though you've set up your account on boards with the sole purpose of badmouthing Abtran. Disgruntled ex employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Lemag wrote: »
    Just heard from where? It would appear as though you've set up your account on boards with the sole purpose of badmouthing Abtran. Disgruntled ex employee?

this is simply one thing that really annoys me about adverts .... if someone posts something negative about a company/business they "must" have a grudge against a company (usually the next post claims they are either a former worker who lost their job or in the case of the many civil servant/garda bashing threads they must be a garda/civil servant)

Strange how no-one ever defends the politicians !! (well rarely)

why cant we just accept this person said they heard something bad about a company - at the end of the day - the company could sue the person for defamation/lible if the matter is untrue (you do know that no matter what you say online you cant hide behind a username, everything you say/type can actually be used against you if someone decides to sue you)

I could similarly turn the question to you - do you work for the company Abtran ?? you are jumping to defend them straight away when someone said something bad about them (by jumping to defend them I mean question the validity of the person making accusations therefore defending the company by proxy)

I dont really want to get into an online argument - yes the post is the persons first post and they have simply posted against a company - which usually means you take the information "with a grain of salt" until its reported in mainstream media....maybe the person is associated with the company or has an online boards profile and doesn't want to post under their normal username (granted this would be a breach of boards terms and conditions) - but no reason why someone wouldn't do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Corkbah wrote: »
    this is simply one thing that really annoys me about adverts .... if someone posts something negative about a company/business they "must" have a grudge against a company (usually the next post claims they are either a former worker who lost their job or in the case of the many civil servant/garda bashing threads they must be a garda/civil servant)

Strange how no-one ever defends the politicians !! (well rarely)

why cant we just accept this person said they heard something bad about a company - at the end of the day - the company could sue the person for defamation/lible if the matter is untrue (you do know that no matter what you say online you cant hide behind a username, everything you say/type can actually be used against you if someone decides to sue you)

I could similarly turn the question to you - do you work for the company Abtran ?? you are jumping to defend them straight away when someone said something bad about them (by jumping to defend them I mean question the validity of the person making accusations therefore defending the company by proxy)

I dont really want to get into an online argument - yes the post is the persons first post and they have simply posted against a company - which usually means you take the information "with a grain of salt" until its reported in mainstream media....maybe the person is associated with the company or has an online boards profile and doesn't want to post under their normal username (granted this would be a breach of boards terms and conditions) - but no reason why someone wouldn't do this.
    If someone posts as such and has only just set up their account it would be a logical assumption that they have a personal grievance with the company and have set up their account with the sole purpose of getting back at them rather than joining boards.ie to make a meaningful contribution to the community. If not though, this is a public forum and they would be free to respond to my post to tell me otherwise.

I don't work for Abtran but I do have friends who do across various departments. Some are happy there. Some are not. Unlike the poster of the message to which I have responded, I do have a posting history on boards within which I don't think that I have ever before mentioned Abtran so there little if anything there to suggest that I would have any personal reason to defend them.

Advertisement