Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New router.

Options
  • 12-05-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Long story short, I'm with Vodafone at home broadband and the router they supply is absolutely brutal and kept cutting off ever half our or so. So I replaced it with an old Eircom Motorola one that I had lying about. Problem solved but the routers range isn't the best and around the house where I'd have full strength with the wireless on the Vodafone router, I only have 75% on the old Eircom one. So what router would you recommend that has good signal strength?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You're looking for a wireless N router. Tplink, linksys (aparentally some are not very good) and netgear are good brands.

Brutal is the word alright :D

Try changing the channel first. Say if its at 6 change it to something like 11 (have it far away from any of your neighbours' networks also). I recommend 11 really, never have problems at that. By default most ship at 6, I recommend changing it but it doesn't stop me from sleeping.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mr. G wrote: »
    You're looking for a wireless N router. Tplink, linksys (aparentally some are not very good) and netgear are good brands.

Brutal is the word alright :D

Try changing the channel first. Say if its at 6 change it to something like 11 (have it far away from any of your neighbours' networks also). I recommend 11 really, never have problems at that. By default most ship at 6, I recommend changing it but it doesn't stop me from sleeping.

A wireless n router will be of absolutely no use unless all the devices attached are of the N standard otherwise your network will be dragged down to the G standard.

Also beware of very definite recommendations - it is genuinely quite difficult to predict the performance of any wireless equipment in any particular situation.

If you are surrounded by other wifi networks try downloading a program like Insidder - http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ it will help you see what networks are around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I had a call to a house with a Vodafone router recently. It was the newer black upright one that looks like a blade ? The user also had issues with the connection being lost whilst all the time seeming to have full wireless signal.

The offending device was a Toshiba laptop, all other devices in the house - iPad, Android Phone and my own phone - all worked fine.
    The symptoms were full wireless signal but no internet access which would come and go.

Tried all the usual things - disabled WPA/WEP - changed channels etc. to no avail. There's a setting in the wireless setup on the modems configuration to do with channel width - 20 or 40 MHz - that proved to be the issue. Setting this to 20MHz cured it.

Just to add . . again with full wireless signal none of the other devices in the house could be accessed, unable to share between laptops or see DLNA servers on the network. In other word there was no LAN connection at all.

May not be the same as your issue but it might help someone !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers for the replies, lads.

It's definitely the router that was the problem. Since I've switched to the old Motorola one I had lying about, the connection hasn't dropped once! A lad from Eircom even called out yesterday to check the line and said it was perfect. I live in the suburbs so there's only a handful of wireless connections around and none within close proximity to my house.

On the look out now for a new router that will provide a stronger signal. Leaning towards Netgear..

Advertisement