Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need fathers permission to bring your children on holidays

Options
  • 12-05-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I am a mum of 3 children judicially separated since last year. I have booked to bring my children abroad during the summer. They all have their own passports an have return date on tickets. They have very little contact with their father even though we have joint custody. Could he stop me bringing them abroad? Do I need to get a letter giving his consent? I have a friend travelling with us also so it wont just be the children and myself. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If he is the guardian (as it appears you were married then he is a legal guardian) then, technically, yes you do need his permission. It's highly unlikely that anyone would actually stop you though as you are also a legal guardian. You don't need a letter for this. He can stop you but would need to apply to the courts to do so and to be honest it's extremely unlikely they would do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunflower60

Hi thank you so much for that wasn't sure what the story was will just take a chance I think will let him know few days before he would only try to stop us to be vindictive nothing else thank you so much again

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss_diagnosis

I have a son from a previous relationship and aside from getting my ex to sign the passport forms its never been an issue taking my son on holidays.I tell him out of courtesty but he even came to america with me and my husband on honeymoon with no issues.As long as you dont intend to flee the country Im sure your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sunflower60

Thank you so much wasn't sure what the story was its just for a few weeks abroad but usually we have gone down the country and there hasn't been an issue.

Advertisement