Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

eh.......thanks. I gathered that already:rolleyes:

I am more interested in finding out if people have tried this route while trying to get into their chosen career in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

frag420 wrote: »
    eh.......thanks. I gathered that already:rolleyes:

I am more interested in finding out if people have tried this route while trying to get into their chosen career in London?
    when i did it it was 40 years ago i went in as a live- in barman,untill i found a better job

getz wrote: »
    when i did it it was 40 years ago i went in as a live- in barman,untill i found a better job

So you are there 40 yrs later? Well thats what I like to hear, give me some confidence that it will work!!

Any other advice is more than welcomed and thats at least one pint I have in the pot for you when I get over!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

frag420 wrote: »
    So you are there 40 yrs later? Well thats what I like to hear, give me some confidence that it will work!!

Any other advice is more than welcomed and thats at least one pint I have in the pot for you when I get over!!

frAg
    i was very young and foolish, then i got older and wiser and moved to the north,

Well im old enough to know better but young enough to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

There is tons of low paid bar / fast food / retail jobs in London mainly because you barely earn enough to survive. If you have a friend or relative who can offer you cheap accommodation or a decent lump sum go ahead. When I did it (in the last recession) I had about a months money. I got a bar job evenings and weekends which stopped me burning through the money both from a nights out and getting a bit coming in point of view. I kept days free for a disciplined search for work - treating it like a job. Still took me 4 months to find a graduate level role.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kevin james murray

does it have to be london try the suburbs for bar work its nice around kent cheaper to live & eat out. if your heart set on london try hope & anchour pub upper street islington
    i think they do accomadate workers to. seen u2 play there in 79 they got 50 for the nite
    i got a dose of the clap

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Keep it helpful, constructive and on-topic please folks; this thread is for folks to request or provide advice, not idle chatter or sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Topcat1234

I can only concur with MR Fysh! So if anyone else has any advice about finding work in the business sector and would like to share their experiences and on using recruitment agencies, job-sites and Linkedin nowadays, i'm sure we'd all be very interested. Best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanp86

I came over in early June for a 10 day period to meet with recruiters and got a job through that. I found them to be very useful. In terms of marketing and communications chemistry search and selection are very good. The best way I found with recruiters is to ring them and ask can you meet them and talk through your cv, way better than just emailing your cv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Topcat1234

Hi peoples. A friend of mine at a top university's careers department recently send me a list of recruitment agencies, so I decided to make an Excel spreadsheet out of it. Its a pretty definitive list, the Greatest hits of London even. So if anyone else is in the same position as me, just moved over or about to move over and wants to see the list with all the names and hyperlinks just send me a PM on here and I'll email it to you. Its pretty convenient, just click on the links each day and and the sites will pop up on your Google chrome. About 60 in total!!!

A few Folks on here were sound enough to reply my emails when I contacted them, so I thought I'd just return the Favor to the online community here!

All the Best,

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 1 londonerbound

Very early days yet, but with the way things are economically in Ireland right now I am considering moving, with my partner.
    I thought I’d touch base with London boardsies.
    I work in media/communications, are there many opportunities in London right now? I’ve also worked in education.
    What is the state of play economically right now? Are there more jobs/less than six months back?
    I reckon I must need a UK address/mobile phone number, is this advisable?
    What are the top job recruitment websites?
    Salary wise, whatwould a couple need to earn £ per annum. My partner can get work in her field in the morning.
    Am London bound next month for a holiday, over a weekend, thinking I’ll get in touch with recruitment agencies and try and get in the loop on the one weekday I’ll be there.
    Has this worked forother boardsies?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 perpetualdaze

Hi there!

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks so much for the very useful Information and time and effort that went in to preparing it! Very much appreciate it as another person who is planning a move to London!;)

I am planning to move over to London in January:)
    I have quite a few friends there in all directions from far north to south but ultimately feel I will be landing there by myself and want to make sure I get off to a good start.

Can anyone recommend some good hostels that would be great as a starting point to meet people and may be more on the "long term" side rather than the transient fashion of most Backpackers that are just good for a night or two??

I would like to land somewhere that I can meet people in the same boat that are there to live and take proper time to find an actual place to live/job etc.

I've heard that the Barmy Badger in Earls Court is a smaller hostel that's good for long-termers with an 80% permanence in guests that are all living and working. Does anyone have any personal experience staying here?

I have just returned from living in Australia for the past 2 years so am well versed in hostel living which is very much the standard in starting out anywhere there. I understand Australia has much more of a backpackers lifestyle so I'm wondering what is the norm for starting out in London and how do people go about meeting friends/like-minded types/housemates??

All suggestions and experiences very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    xx

Hey perpetualdaze,

I'm moving over next fri. Although staying with relatives til end of jan il be looking for a place then so if you're still looking then and have job sorted then give me a shout and perhaps we can help each other.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

Any good short term accom while im looking for a flat. Would prefer a single room for a couple of weeks while i look for my own flat. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 perpetualdaze

Hi Frag420,

Happy New Year! Thanks for your interest. Best of luck with your move. Let me know how you go. I probably won't be moving over till the end of January/start of Feb but would be interested to hear how your experiences go.
    Do you have an Idea of what area you'd like to live or more so dependent on where you end up working?

Good Luck! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Travel tip - if you're using National Express buses to get from one of the airports to London, they will let you on any bus, even if you booked a later one online. I found this out yesterday when I got the 6.20pm bus from Stansted instead of the 7.20pm one I had originally booked. Saved me arsing around the airport for an hour :)

Cheers for that as getting them into city fri morn, cheaper than stanstead express I hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Very early days yet, but with the way things are economically in Ireland right now I am considering moving, with my partner.
    I thought I’d touch base with London boardsies.
    I work in media/communications, are there many opportunities in London right now? I’ve also worked in education.
    What is the state of play economically right now? Are there more jobs/less than six months back?
    I reckon I must need a UK address/mobile phone number, is this advisable?
    What are the top job recruitment websites?
    Salary wise, whatwould a couple need to earn £ per annum. My partner can get work in her field in the morning.
    Am London bound next month for a holiday, over a weekend, thinking I’ll get in touch with recruitment agencies and try and get in the loop on the one weekday I’ll be there.
    Has this worked forother boardsies?
    Thanks

Thinking of doing the same thing the end of January. I would be hoping to look for a job in digital/online marketing with languages, and have been informed by people working there that it would be easy for me to get a job. How "easy" they mean is another thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey guys,

Just so people know www.anyvan.com is a cracking website for getting large items (furniture etc) transferred between Ireland and the UK.
    Basically you post what you want moved, and people bid on it.

I am getting all my stuffed moved from London to Dublin for 170 where I was getting quotes from removal companies of 500+

----i have no affiliation with the website, just posting as i posted a request on here as to where to get my stuff moved on the cheap and got no answers---

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey guys, can I butt in here for a moment?

Just wondering, is going to London to pick up casual work and paying rent on such wages a non-runner or a feasible idea?

I'm a teacher by trade and I'm teaching at the moment but I'd love to live in London for a few months, if not longer, just to soak up the atmosphere etc. So any job I'd do would only have to pay for bills and a few drinks at the weekend. I wouldn't be going to save money. Just to have a job with minimum responsibility and enjoy life a bit after a tough couple of years where I am at present.

Is there much casual labour on offer over there? I have office experience and warehouse experience but it's been quite a while since I did either of those but given the chance I'd do anything really. I've no bar experience but something like that is what I have in mind, if you get me.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

kraggy wrote: »
    Is there much casual labour on offer over there?
    Probably, but I doubt it pays very well. You’d probably have to be working fairly long hours to make it worth your while. If you really want to enjoy London while you’re here, and assuming that you’ll be living in shared accommodation, you’d want to be aiming for the high £20k’s in terms of income as an absolute minimum – I think that could be difficult if you’re looking at “casual” work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

You could try some of the temping/contracting agencies for office work, etc. but I suspect you'd want recent specific experience in office admin or the like.

• Hey guys,

Just hoping for some advice on living a bit outside London (wasn't sure whether i should post this here or start a new thread - mods, feel free to move if necessary!)

I spent over 3 years in London, living in Zone 1 and later in Zone 4. I'm moving back to the UK with my partner in July and will probably end up heading back to London because there are jobs there, but I don't particularly want to live there again. I can't really afford anywhere central and I didn't really enjoy Zone 4 because I felt like I had the worst of both worlds - I was so far out that I never bothered going into town at the weekend, so it was as if I didn't really live in London anyway, but I had all the problems of London - noise, pollution, expensive rent etc. I am strongly considering the possibility of living outside the city and commuting in.

I'm looking to live somewhere nice, reasonably safe, with somewhat of a community atmosphere and a station with regular trains to London (weekends and late night as well as commuting timetables). Ideally, I'd be within 45 minutes of Euston and not pay ridiculous amounts of rent. Is this at all doable or am I in lala land? We were paying £950 pcm for our one-bed in Zone 4, and almost £165 per month each for monthly Oyster cards. I don't want to pay more than that, but am happy to pay less rent and spend more on travel, particularly because I might well be working from home a lot. I'm thinking of Herts (St Albans? Potters Bar?), Surrey or Sussex, mostly. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Hey guys, can I butt in here for a moment?

Just wondering, is going to London to pick up casual work and paying rent on such wages a non-runner or a feasible idea?

I'm a teacher by trade and I'm teaching at the moment but I'd love to live in London for a few months, if not longer, just to soak up the atmosphere etc. So any job I'd do would only have to pay for bills and a few drinks at the weekend. I wouldn't be going to save money. Just to have a job with minimum responsibility and enjoy life a bit after a tough couple of years where I am at present.

Is there much casual labour on offer over there? I have office experience and warehouse experience but it's been quite a while since I did either of those but given the chance I'd do anything really. I've no bar experience but something like that is what I have in mind, if you get me.

Thoughts?

I'm a teacher here, there appears to be plenty of casual teaching work in London if you fancied doing some subbing. Have a look at some teaching recruitment agencies and they may be able to offer more advice. I have met lots of teachers doing agency work and enjoying it, money is fine and don't have the responsibility of planning your own lesson, or assessments so might be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Hey guys,

Just hoping for some advice on living a bit outside London (wasn't sure whether i should post this here or start a new thread - mods, feel free to move if necessary!)

I spent over 3 years in London, living in Zone 1 and later in Zone 4. I'm moving back to the UK with my partner in July and will probably end up heading back to London because there are jobs there, but I don't particularly want to live there again. I can't really afford anywhere central and I didn't really enjoy Zone 4 because I felt like I had the worst of both worlds - I was so far out that I never bothered going into town at the weekend, so it was as if I didn't really live in London anyway, but I had all the problems of London - noise, pollution, expensive rent etc. I am strongly considering the possibility of living outside the city and commuting in.

I'm looking to live somewhere nice, reasonably safe, with somewhat of a community atmosphere and a station with regular trains to London (weekends and late night as well as commuting timetables). Ideally, I'd be within 45 minutes of Euston and not pay ridiculous amounts of rent. Is this at all doable or am I in lala land? We were paying £950 pcm for our one-bed in Zone 4, and almost £165 per month each for monthly Oyster cards. I don't want to pay more than that, but am happy to pay less rent and spend more on travel, particularly because I might well be working from home a lot. I'm thinking of Herts (St Albans? Potters Bar?), Surrey or Sussex, mostly. Any advice?

£950 for a one bed in Zone 4 three years ago!? That's crazy money. Even now, with a quick search:

OK, some of these aren't going to be as good as they look & househunting is never a nice job, but there's plenty out there without going to Zone 4, unless you want to. (& no, I'm not on commission from SpareRoom.co.uk ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm a teacher here, there appears to be plenty of casual teaching work in London if you fancied doing some subbing. Have a look at some teaching recruitment agencies and they may be able to offer more advice. I have met lots of teachers doing agency work and enjoying it, money is fine and don't have the responsibility of planning your own lesson, or assessments so might be worth a look?

Hey, just saw this now. Thanks for the post :)

Are you a secondary or primary teacher? I'm primary but heard that I can only do subbing with an Irish qualification. Subbing is a bit too unpredictable and if you don't get work, the rent still has to be paid.

Could you tell me some of the names of recruitment agencies? Thanks.

• Feathers wrote: »
    £950 for a one bed in Zone 4 three years ago!? That's crazy money. Even now, with a quick search:

OK, some of these aren't going to be as good as they look & househunting is never a nice job, but there's plenty out there without going to Zone 4, unless you want to. (& no, I'm not on commission from SpareRoom.co.uk ;) )

It wasn't 3 years ago, it was just under 2 years ago. The price went up when we moved out and they got tenants immediately. The places you posted are mostly studios and only suitable for one person (the one in Kilburn is tiny and still almost 800 pcm plus council tax :eek:) - we're a couple. Our last place had a big kitchen with loads of storage, a nice bedroom with double bed, big bathroom with a bath and nice living/dining room with table and 4 chairs. That's the minimum standard I'd really go for. I'll be working from home a lot, so I need somewhere reasonably nice and reasonably spacious in an area I feel safe in. At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice proximity to central London if it means a nicer, bigger place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Hey, just saw this now. Thanks for the post :)

Are you a secondary or primary teacher? I'm primary but heard that I can only do subbing with an Irish qualification. Subbing is a bit too unpredictable and if you don't get work, the rent still has to be paid.

Could you tell me some of the names of recruitment agencies? Thanks.

I'm a primary teacher, and there is no shortage of teaching work here. I haven't dealt with any agencies myself as was employed directly by my school, but google it. A few emails and you will find out exactly the situation in regard to teaching with irish qualifications here, and the availability of work. But from what I've gathered from agency teachers I have met, they have no problem getting hours, and many also get short term contacts, like maternity cover etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm thinking of Herts (St Albans? Potters Bar?), Surrey or Sussex, mostly. Any advice?
    St. Alban's is supposedly one of the most expensive places in the country to live, so that may not be an option. Potters Bar is completely dead. There is literally nothing there. If you need to be commuting into Euston (or that general area), then Surrey/Sussex doesn't really make sense.

So, how about somewhere in the vicinity of Watford? Rickmansworth, for example, is quite nice.

Advertisement