Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

djpbarry wrote: »
    If it's money you're after then you're probably better off staying in Ireland - living costs in London are just too high to make such a plan viable.

Chalk it down. Chances are you'd save more on a minimum wage job in Ireland than you would on £20,000 in London. If you can get a construction-type job with Saturdays and a bit of overtime, live in a cheap houseshare and mind your money you can save a load but if your plan is work in a pub or something then forget it.

Also djbarry is also spot on regards the NI, I worked in London for almost two and a half years without a NI. You will initially be on emergency tax but you'll get that back. Just tell work you're waiting on your NI and they'll usually be grand.

Where abouts are you looking for a gaff Dean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Balls to that - Lloyds don't charge anything:

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/new_to_the_uk.asp
    It's really not that big a deal - I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.

Thanks for that! Looks like it's Lloyds TSB ! :)

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also djbarry is also spot on regards the NI, I worked in London for almost two and a half years without a NI. You will initially be on emergency tax but you'll get that back. Just tell work you're waiting on your NI and they'll usually be grand.

Where abouts are you looking for a gaff Dean?

Am looking at Zone 2 North London - Flat / House Share. Hackney springs to mind but only because the name is fairly well known.

I've lived in Dublin all my life and the sheer size of the London property market and my unfamiliarity with it is kind of knocking me off balance.

But yeah. North, Zone 2. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well done OP for researching your trip in such detail.

You'll be amazed of the number of people who arrive in London on spec in the hope that things will just turn up for them once they get there. They're often the ones who arrive home again a week or two later with their tales between their legs and a few quid worse off.

One thing I would add to your list of things to do is register with a GP or health clinic locally when you find somewhere to live.

They mightn't be able to put you back together again if you fail to 'mind the gap' on the tube, but the NHS is a great port of call for all manner of other unforeseen occurrences that might pop up.

Hopefully you'll never need to use their services but being registered with a GP will be a weight off your mind should you require medical attention at some stage. It only takes a few minutes and will save on a lot hassle should you need something as simple as a prescription.

Its also worth looking into whatever dental work you might need done while you're there. Even a simple check up and some basic treatment might be free to you, or cost considerably less than it would in Ireland.

Best of luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Lapin wrote: »

You'll be amazed of the number of people who arrive in London on spec in the hope that things will just turn up for them once they get there. They're often the ones who arrive home again a week or two later with their tales between their legs and a few quid worse off.

One thing I would add to your list of things to do is register with a GP or health clinic locally when you find somewhere to live.

They mightn't be able to put you back together again if you fail to 'mind the gap' on the tube, but the NHS is a great port of call for all manner of other unforeseen occurrences that might pop up.

Hopefully you'll never need to use their services but being registered with a GP will be a weight off your mind should you require medical attention at some stage. It only takes a few minutes and will save on a lot hassle should you need something as simple as a prescription.

Its also worth looking into whatever dental work you might need done while you're there. Even a simple check up and some basic treatment might be free to you, or cost considerably less than it would in Ireland.

Best of luck !

if you're only here for the summer, the NHS will treat you for free if you pick up any illnesses while you are here under a european agreement.

if you need to be hospitalised, you may be charged. primary care (GP, A&E etc) is free.

as for dental treatment, unless you have proof of exemption (JSA, income support, pregnant mothers, etc) you will have to pay. it might be tricky finding an NHS dentist in london willing to take on new patients.
    also, there is some work that i would not go to an NHS dentist for myself.

Fair points.

I was replying from the experience of living there for a number of years.

I didn't know there were differing circumstances applied for those staying on a short term basis.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Am looking at Zone 2 North London - Flat / House Share. Hackney springs to mind but only because the name is fairly well known.

I've lived in Dublin all my life and the sheer size of the London property market and my unfamiliarity with it is kind of knocking me off balance.

But yeah. North, Zone 2. :o

Great area man, you'll be laughing. Have a look at Hackney central, Homerton or Stoke Newington, although the latter might be a bit pricey.

balls,
    as for dental treatment, unless you have proof of exemption (JSA, income support, pregnant mothers, etc) you will have to pay. it might be tricky finding an NHS dentist in london willing to take on new patients.
    also, there is some work that i would not go to an NHS dentist for myself.

Most people have to pay for NHS dentistry but it's p*ss cheap. A check-up is about £18, a band 1 procedure e.g filling, extraction etc is £40 odd and a crown is about £209.

Still a bargain compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

stoke newington is fierce pricey nowadays because of all the hipsters!

if ya go a small bit further north its grand, around manor house/ finsbury park and youre still very close to city as well

stoke newington is fierce pricey nowadays because of all the hipsters!

if ya go a small bit further north its grand, around manor house/ finsbury park and youre still very close to city as well

The Finsbury Park ship has long sailed. I live in Finsbury Park and it's by no means cheap. Not nuts either though. Manor House is depressing but cheap.

• Advertisement

Most people have to pay for NHS dentistry but it's p*ss cheap. A check-up is about £18, a band 1 procedure e.g filling, extraction etc is £40 odd and a crown is about £209.

Still a bargain compared to Ireland.

it's a bargain because it's heavily subsidised, and the overheads are a lot cheaper, unlike in ireland.

however, some treatments such as root fillings have 'success criteria' which to be honest, are appalling. they may extend the life of the tooth for a few years, but to be honest, i'd prefer to have it done once, and not worry about it for at least 20 years.

private work in the uk is of a similar price range to private work in ireland.

Lapin wrote: »

Best of luck !

Cheers! I'll do that. I actually hadn't really considered a doctor. I'm not even sure if I have a GP in Ireland!! I just use the college doc :P I'll make sure to get one in London? Do I just pop into a GP or do I contact the NHS?
    Great area man, you'll be laughing. Have a look at Hackney central, Homerton or Stoke Newington, although the latter might be a bit pricey.

Thanks. Anything to make trawling through Gumtree less of a hassle! :)

it's a bargain because it's heavily subsidised, and the overheads are a lot cheaper, unlike in ireland.

Well subsidised healthcare is the basic premise of the NHS like.

Well subsidised healthcare is the basic premise of the NHS like.

yes, for the patients, but there's also a fair amount handed out in grants to practices to upgrade equipment etc. i'd wager that your average NHS dental practice is better equipped than an average private practice. obviously there's high end private ones that will charge you through the nose for it.

getting a GP is postcode dependent. the first thing you'll be asked when you go in to register is what your postcode is. if they can't help you, then they should be able to tell you of somewhere that can.

Do I just pop into a GP or do I contact the NHS?

Yep, once you have your accommodation sorted simply log on to NHS Choices and enter your postcode to find a list of services available in your area.
    Then simply pop in and fill out a couple of forms.

As was said above, if one doc's surgery cannot take you on, they'll put you right for another one in the area that can.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

i am registered with a gp and a dentist in the uk and i bled the gp dry while i could consdering its free. got everything checked out.
    as far as i know u cant register for anythn anywhere without an NI number.
    i can only go from my experience but when i worked there i needed my NI number. but from what i can remember ur legally allowed work for 90 days without one...

kelledy wrote: »
    i am registered with a gp and a dentist in the uk and i bled the gp dry while i could consdering its free. got everything checked out.
    as far as i know u cant register for anythn anywhere without an NI number.
    i can only go from my experience but when i worked there i needed my NI number. but from what i can remember ur legally allowed work for 90 days without one...

strictly speaking, that is true about the NI number. everywhere should be asking for it, but the reality is that very few do it (unless the receptionist is a wagon!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

kelledy wrote: »
    i am registered with a gp and a dentist in the uk and i bled the gp dry while i could consdering its free.
    No, it's not free. Going to a GP for absolutely everything and anything wastes valuable time and resources. It's not something to be proud of.

A conundrum of mine is that I don't have a couch I can crash on for a few days until I get myself set up in London. So I require a hotel room. This has opened up a couple of problems for me.

How many days should I book in advance? I mean, I don't want to book a week only to get set up in two days and then have a hotel room lying idle. Waste of £££. But then, I don't want to book too few and rapidly find myself sleeping in a tube station :p

One option is getting a hostel but as I'll be doing a crap load of research etc... I think a hotel room would make a better base for at least the first few days.

They're also quite pricey. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How many days should I book in advance? I mean, I don't want to book a week only to get set up in two days and then have a hotel room lying idle. Waste of £££. But then, I don't want to book too few and rapidly find myself sleeping in a tube station :p

One option is getting a hostel but as I'll be doing a crap load of research etc... I think a hotel room would make a better base for at least the first few days.

They're also quite pricey. :(
    Boom.

• Advertisement

If I could thank this post more than once I would!

:) Thank You!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Thanks. Anything to make trawling through Gumtree less of a hassle! :)

Try spareroom.co.uk as well, I've found it much easier to use than gumtree and with fewer scammers. It doesn't have a dedicated short lets section in the same way, but there are still loads of short lets on the site.

No, it's not free. Going to a GP for absolutely everything and anything wastes valuable time and resources. It's not something to be proud of.

Exactly. The NHS is the best thing about the UK hands down, and it was hard fought for. It shouldn't be open to abuse as it will just wreck it for the deserving people that rely on it.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/single-room-short-let-opposit-caledonian-tube-station/1016323643#1

So I sent this guy (or girl, not sure by the name) a text to check things out.

Seems legit or... ? No pictures :/

But it'd suit me down to the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I'm moving over in the summer, this seems like good craic.

Also if anyone could recommend where rent is a reasonable price and good to live I'd be very thankful for a pm.:)

Hi,

I'm moving to London in August or September so I thought I'd get the ball rolling. Is anyone else reading moving over and looking for a possible flat or house share? Or just looking to know someone in a similar situation.

Cheers, thanks for reading and get in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well it says single room, then says furnished with a double bed, and no pictures. See if they reply to the text, I'd ask for pictures etc! It's pretty expensive too, £585 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

That said it might be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm moving over in the summer, this seems like good craic.

Also if anyone could recommend where rent is a reasonable price and good to live I'd be very thankful for a pm.:)

Reasonable for one person is totally different to another, what's your monthly budget for rent.

• Advertisement

I'd say no more than £130 a week. I was looking on spare room and there seems to be a good few around this price including council tax and bills.

Advertisement