Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

tok9 wrote: »
    How long roughly is it from the city center to Watford?
    Depends on what you mean by "city centre" - different people will give you different definitions and they can be miles apart.

The train from Watford will leave you at Euston, but that still leaves you with a 30-minute tube journey to, say, Canary Wharf (a random example). Also worth bearing in mind that doing that journey during peak times on a regular basis is going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

who defines canary wharf as the city centre

who defines canary wharf as the city centre
    In the context of commuting to work it's a reasonable example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya I'd be taking train or the tube line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Watford Junction is the main station in Watford.e.

Watford High Street station would be a lot handier (or more main) for centralWatford.

• Advertisement

Right, my 2nd day around the place and I'm getting into it a bit thankfully. With my job, I'll be working in the telegraph till at least the end of July so i'm basically looking for a place north side of London I'm thinking.

Was told about Camden today but the place seems way out of my price range.

I'm looking for somewhere that would make it easy to get transport to euston as I'll need to go to Watford a bit I imagine and my price range is around the 450 mark.

Even an idea of areas to check would be handy, thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, my 2nd day around the place and I'm getting into it a bit thankfully. With my job, I'll be working in the telegraph till at least the end of July so i'm basically looking for a place north side of London I'm thinking.

Was told about Camden today but the place seems way out of my price range.

I'm looking for somewhere that would make it easy to get transport to euston as I'll need to go to Watford a bit I imagine and my price range is around the 450 mark.

Even an idea of areas to check would be handy, thanks.

Look for house shares around NW6 - some areas are pricey (West Hampstead, Maida Vale) but Kilburn generally should have a fair amount of reasonably-priced options. Depending on where you end up you'd have access to the Jubilee & Bakerloo lines (which can get you to Euston via Baker St/Finchley Rd and changing to the Metropolitan line to Euston Square) and/or the Overground to Euston.

Camden may be doable but theres a lot more demand for housing in the area. Transport wise you'd be looking at the Northern line to Euston.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Euston is also on the Victoria and there's loads of places in North London that are either on that line (it's the quickest line for doing north/south) or else easily connected to it. You could look at places like Finsbury Park or Archway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BreakingGood

Hi guys.

Was thinking of going to see the Wimbledon Tennis Courts tomorrow. Just wondering how accessible is it without having to pay anything or is it a case of pretty much having to pay at the gates?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Hi guys.

Was thinking of going to see the Wimbledon Tennis Courts tomorrow. Just wondering how accessible is it without having to pay anything or is it a case of pretty much having to pay at the gates?

Thanks

There's a museum on site that tells the story of the Championships, and as part of the admission fee (I forget how much, but not exorbitant) you can access a viewing gallery of Centre Court. You're not really allowed wander around indefinitely however.

Worth bearing in mind that this year's tournament starts in just over a week so that may already be affecting access.

• Advertisement

Hi guys.

Thanks
    http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/museum_and_tours/201205091336561036163.html

Anyone here living in Finsbury Park?

Kind of the area I've been looking at most but I've been told it's a bit dodgy. Just curious what others think.

So far, I'm looking at places on Victoria, Piccadilly and Northern Line. Seems best suited to me.

Was looking at places on the Jubilee line but it looks like it would add a lot more time to my journey if I was to travel back to Watford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Anyone here living in Finsbury Park?

Kind of the area I've been looking at most but I've been told it's a bit dodgy. Just curious what others think.

So far, I'm looking at places on Victoria, Piccadilly and Northern Line. Seems best suited to me.

Was looking at places on the Jubilee line but it looks like it would add a lot more time to my journey if I was to travel back to Watford

One of my friends owns a flat in Finsbury Park (she's just emigrated to Australia actually) and my girlfriend stayed with her for a couple of months when she moved over. It's an up and coming area that is very multicultural. You'll find plenty of ethnic shops, some that stay open all hours which can be handy. There are some dodgy looking places right next to brand spanking new flats. There are some parts that don't look the best but we've never felt in danger or anything. It's very well connected for traveling with tubes, trains and buses all available. There are also plenty of nice bars and restaurants within about a 15 minute walking radius.

If you could find a nice place it would be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Not a question about moving to London, rather moving within London.

Does anyone have any recommendations on 'man-with-a-van' services? From Clapham Junction to Streatham, so a short hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Otacon wrote: »
    Not a question about moving to London, rather moving within London.

Does anyone have any recommendations on 'man-with-a-van' services? From Clapham Junction to Streatham, so a short hop.

We used a guy based in Tooting who was reasonably priced.. I'll ask the missus for his number

I live in Finsbury Park and I wouldn't live anywhere else to be honest. I can be in the city centre in less than ten minutes on the tube, which is handy because you're bang on the Picadilly and Victoria lines. It also has National Rail and is an arterial bus route for the rest of north and central London. For transport and accessibility it can't be beaten. I first moved to London 7 years ago and the place was dodgy enough but it has changed massively since then. Yes, there's a few saucy characters around but you'll find that anywhere in London to be honest. In terms of pubs and restaurants you're spoiled for choice and you're only a quick bus away from Stoke-Newington, Shoreditch, King's Cross or Camden Town. Rents can be pricey enough but I really couldn't recommend the area enough. I'm the happiest I've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

Hello fellow Londoners! Just looking for some advice if at all possible.

A few friends and I have decided to move into a five bedroom house in August. For a variety of reasons the onus has fallen on me to find said house! We are looking in the Hackney area, particularly Clapton. A Victorian house would be the ideal! Our budget is max £3000 plus bills.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of estate agents, or ones to avoid, how we could go about renting privately, if that's even advisable, and so on. I have heard many stories of evil estate agents fleecing people dry so want to steer clear of that! I've been living in Clapton for about a year so am free to view places, meet agents etc.

Any tips most welcome! Thank you kindly.

• Anyone know what Shepherd's Bush is like?

Grand spot, it'd be pricey enough too though as it's quite central. Loads of Irish knocking around there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

borabora wrote: »
    Hello fellow Londoners! Just looking for some advice if at all possible.

A few friends and I have decided to move into a five bedroom house in August. For a variety of reasons the onus has fallen on me to find said house! We are looking in the Hackney area, particularly Clapton. A Victorian house would be the ideal! Our budget is max £3000 plus bills.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of estate agents, or ones to avoid, how we could go about renting privately, if that's even advisable, and so on. I have heard many stories of evil estate agents fleecing people dry so want to steer clear of that! I've been living in Clapton for about a year so am free to view places, meet agents etc.

Any tips most welcome! Thank you kindly.

We found Blake Stanley on Broadway Market pretty good..they have some stuff in the Clapton direction? I did look into private renting but there was so much rubbish out there and little protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

Thanks for your reply LadyMayBelle! Yes I think I am just resigned to going with an agency. Have signed up to Blake Stanley, and going to sign up to Rayners, Big Move, Right Move, Foxtons, Felicity J Lord, Sterling Ackroyd, Keatons, Curells and Shaw & Co. They all come recommended. So hopefully will have it covered with those!! I want to find a lovely house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

borabora wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply LadyMayBelle! Yes I think I am just resigned to going with an agency. Have signed up to Blake Stanley, and going to sign up to Rayners, Big Move, Right Move, Foxtons, Felicity J Lord, Sterling Ackroyd, Keatons, Curells and Shaw & Co. They all come recommended. So hopefully will have it covered with those!! I want to find a lovely house!!

Rightmove was the best bet for us when searching to be honest, as you can filter it down nicely to 'stuff uploaded in the past 24 hours' and sketch out the area you want it to search in... it gets a bit obsessive to be honest!
    I'll keep an ear to the ground, but I mostly hear about flats :/ Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

So I've just gotten a job offer in the city and will be moving in the next 2 weeks.

I'll be working in the square mile and am undecided on whether to look for somewhere nearby to avoid a commute or stay somewhere with a bit more life to it......any suggestions on where I should look?

I was over on Friday to get my national insurance number sorted but can anyone tell me what i'll need to do to open a UK bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

When I moved to the UK I just needed my Irish passport and a UK address to open an account with Lloyds TSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

So I've just gotten a job offer in the city and will be moving in the next 2 weeks.

I'll be working in the square mile and am undecided on whether to look for somewhere nearby to avoid a commute or stay somewhere with a bit more life to it......any suggestions on where I should look?

I was over on Friday to get my national insurance number sorted but can anyone tell me what i'll need to do to open a UK bank account?

Get out of the City i'd say. Everything else depends on budget. Looking for a place on your own/sharing etc. Checkout Farringdon its walkable though still a bit quiet on the weekend, I like it around there. Angel/Highbury & Islington also more lively and with a short commute. There is a first capital connect commuter train that runs into Moorgate Mon-Fri only via H&I/Essex Road/Old Street which is dead handy.

I would suggest looking a bit further out - you don't want to be living in a weekend ghost town. As for where to look, well, you're going to working centrally, so that gives you a lot of options - depends on what you're looking for really.
    As suggested above, Lloyds TSB is pretty straightforward, although I'm sure there are other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Just a heads up that Lloyds TSB wouldn't allow me to open an a/c without proof of employment.

Most people who have a job before they come over will be grand and will have a job offer letter to show but for those who don't it's not as easy as having just an NI number and a UK address.

I used my Irish a/c until I got a job offer and then opened an account with Barclays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Jamey wrote: »
    Just a heads up that Lloyds TSB wouldn't allow me to open an a/c without proof of employment.

Most people who have a job before they come over will be grand and will have a job offer letter to show but for those who don't it's not as easy as having just an NI number and a UK address.

I used my Irish a/c until I got a job offer and then opened an account with Barclays.
    Hi, I have a job lined up and have an NI number, but I don't have a permanent address as I will be staying with friends for a week or two until I get sorted, will that be a problem when opening a bank account? not having a permanent address? is it possible to use your Irish bank account in the meantime untill it is sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Hi,
    Im going to be moving to London shortly, and as Im unemployed, will be relying on doing the 3 month sw transfer. I heard a lot of horror stories a few years back about people left waiting for weeks/months for the trafer to go through, but it seems the system has changed since then and its now transfered directly into your bank account for the three months. Has anyone succesfully done this *recently* and how smooth was the process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Hi, I have a job lined up and have an NI number, but I don't have a permanent address as I will be staying with friends for a week or two until I get sorted, will that be a problem when opening a bank account? not having a permanent address? is it possible to use your Irish bank account in the meantime untill it is sorted out
    scratch that, have an UK Ulster Bank account sorted out

Advertisement