Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

You need to have a look at the FAQ post at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Moved to the Megathread.

Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

zweton wrote: »
    Guys,

Is my p45 from ireland all i need to get setup tax wise? Will be working in London initially,are there any forms i need to fill out etc. Sorry for the silly question just want to be prepared.:)

Thanks

As far as I know, an Irish P45 means nothing in the UK and employers wont ask for it. You will be treated as if it is your first UK job tax-wise and your employer should work out your tax code based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Can you all suggest a few areas in London where I could rent a 1 bed apartment for £1200 pcm?

Not much less than or more than.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I'll assume you are planning on renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Guys,

Is my p45 from ireland all i need to get setup tax wise? Will be working in London initially,are there any forms i need to fill out etc. Sorry for the silly question just want to be prepared.:)

Thanks

Inter alia, you'll need to find a relevant JobCentre Plus and register for a NINO (national insurance number similar to a PPS).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm#3

I'll assume you are planning on renting.

Yes to rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

PH4T wrote: »
    Can you all suggest a few areas in London where I could rent a 1 bed apartment for £1200 pcm?

Not much less than or more than.

Cheers.

Have you tried typing that question into rightmove or zoopla? It's rather a large list to be fair! Think zone 3 outwards.

enda1 wrote: »
    Have you tried typing that question into rightmove or zoopla? It's rather a large list to be fair! Think zone 3 outwards.

Telling me to Google it is not helpful.

Telling me to Google it is not helpful.

I didn't.
    I did help however.
    And coming on with a ridiculously vague question is not helping anyone, least of all yourself.
    Maybe perform the most simple piece of research before disrespecting this community with an expectation of us doing your groundwork for you.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    I didn't.
    I did help however.
    And coming on with a ridiculously vague question is not helping anyone, least of all yourself.
    Maybe perform the most simple piece of research before disrespecting this community with an expectation of us doing your groundwork for you.

I'm not disrespecting any community. I am trying to determine where people think would be a decent place to live in my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm not disrespecting any community. I am trying to determine where people think would be a decent place to live in my budget.
    The list of possibilities is endless. You could find a one bed flat for £1200 per month pretty much anywhere outside Zone 1.

Now, if you could provide some more specifics on what you'e looking for, you might get more specific answers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod note:Let's get it back to being helpful and on-topic, please.

This thread is here for people to request and/or offer advice. If you're asking for advice, you are also expected to do your own research to try and answer questions about moving to/in London. Please take a look at the FAQ thread for an aggregation of useful advice and links that should provide further information.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have just discovered a potentially useful interactive map of London areas that lets you apply filters based on average rents for various property types. You can then cross reference this with the information on other sites (eg bealondoner.com's area guides) to make sure it's not an aberration and start to draw up a shortlist of potential areas to live.

Fysh wrote: »
    I have just discovered a potentially useful interactive map of London areas that lets you apply filters based on average rents for various property types. You can then cross reference this with the information on other sites (eg bealondoner.com's area guides) to make sure it's not an aberration and start to draw up a shortlist of potential areas to live.

Thanks Fysh, that is really helpful.

I work in the City so somewhere with links to the City is what I need.

Somewhere like Highgate, Putney or Whitechapel looks about right based on that map.

Somewhere like Highgate, Putney or Whitechapel looks about right based on that map.
    Don't know Highgate so can't comment. Putney's ok. Not my cup of tea personally (doesn’t have much of an “edge” to it), but it’s affordable and pleasant. As for Whitechapel, my missus worked there for two years and I doubt she’d recommend it – unlikely to be much in the way of local amenities on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

djpbarry wrote: »
    As for Whitechapel, – unlikely to be much in the way of local amenities on your doorstep.

probably the most politically correct way of describing it alright!

probably the most politically correct way of describing it alright!
    My wife is half-Pakistani and she still hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

djpbarry wrote: »
    Don't know Highgate so can't comment. Putney's ok. Not my cup of tea personally (doesn’t have much of an “edge” to it),

Your Putney comment could apply to Highgate to be honest - very nice place, lots of lovely cafes, restaurants etc but a bit sleepy. I lived in Rathgar in Dublin for a while and Highgate reminds me of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hi Guys,

Just moved into greenwich area recently(westcombe park) and was wondering if anyone can recommend decent bars/restaurants and general things to do on the weekend or any night for that matter? Dont know my way around yet as only here 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sadnav

well, there is a mulitplex within walking distance from you on the peninsula, but the picturehouse is an altogether nicer experience in my opinion.
    You will be at the O2 and all that goes on there in a 10 minute bus ride.
    the town centre is busy with tourists every weekend, and the bars are the same. The Trafalgar, on the riverfront, is a must do once, and sitting outside on a warm summer evening is great for people watching.
    Blackheath village, and around the Standard has a few good bars and eateries if you like to explore.
    By far the best football team in London is a 15 minute walk away.
    If you do like to eat out a lot, especially at the likes of Prezzo, get yourself a taste card. It will quickly save you money.

welcome to se london

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

sadnav wrote: »
    well, there is a mulitplex within walking distance from you on the peninsula, but the picturehouse is an altogether nicer experience in my opinion.
    the town centre is busy with tourists every weekend, and the bars are the same. The Trafalgar, on the riverfront, is a must do once, and sitting outside on a warm summer evening is great for people watching.
    Blackheath village, and around the Standard has a few good bars and eateries if you like to explore.
    If you do like to eat out a lot, especially at the likes of Prezzo, get yourself a taste card. It will quickly save you money.

welcome to se london

What football team is that? Would love to go to a game.Sorry all new to me. Any good jazz bars around greenwich.

What football team is that? Would love to go to a game.Sorry all new to me. Any good jazz bars around greenwich.
    The Pelton Arms is a great pub not far from where you are. They'll likely have Jazz on some nights:

www.peltonarms.com

Charlton or Millwall I'd guess :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

sadnav wrote: »

welcome to se london

You must have the stride of apollo to be able to walk to White Hart Lane from Greenwich in fifteen mins!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Does anyone have a rough idea how long it would take to walk from one side of London to the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea how long it would take to walk from one side of London to the other?

Depends where you consider the outer boundaries to be. But if you're talking about Greater London then from East to West I'd say around 7-8 hours at a brisk walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Depends where you consider the outer boundaries to be. But if you're talking about Greater London then from East to West I'd say around 7-8 hours at a brisk walk?

Im not sure from where to where, i dont know London that well. Im just looking for a general idea. Thanks for your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sadnav

frag420 wrote: »
    You must have the stride of apollo to be able to walk to White Hart Lane from Greenwich in fifteen mins!!:cool:

If I'd known there were Tottenham supporters reading this, I would have typed slower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

13 hours according to a map app where I entered the westernmost and easternmost points which I got from here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=107163173475171438908.0004380c26eb8f82e2525&z=10&om=1 which is a link I got from here: http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.ie/2009/05/west-london.html

Advertisement