Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can get a monthly travelcard on your Oyster - cost depends on how many zones you want it for. I live in zone 2 and pay £120.60 a month for a zone 1-2 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

So I'm thinking of picking up a bike to get myself to and from work. I'm living in archway, and work in camden. Has anyone any recommendations of somewhere to get one? Looking at spending between £100-150 on it, so most likely I'll go for second hand. I know the usual check gumtree, but if there's some place people usually go to I'd appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BikeZTube on Junction Road sell some secondhand bikes, worth a look?

(didn't know you were in Archway, N19 high five :D )

I'm halfway between archway and Tufnell Park but yeah N19 woo hoo! I think that place might actually be pretty much at the top of my road.. Is it near the tiffin tin/the hideaway house?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm halfway between archway and Tufnell Park but yeah N19 woo hoo! I think that place might actually be pretty much at the top of my road.. Is it near the tiffin tin/the hideaway house?

Yes, that's the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

So I'm thinking of picking up a bike to get myself to and from work. I'm living in archway, and work in camden. Has anyone any recommendations of somewhere to get one? Looking at spending between £100-150 on it, so most likely I'll go for second hand. I know the usual check gumtree, but if there's some place people usually go to I'd appreciate the advice!

Might as well walk only take 25 minutes , another N19 one here

Might as well walk only take 25 minutes , another N19 one here

After a 16 hour shift that seems very long. The joys of working in a kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

After a 16 hour shift that seems very long. The joys of working in a kitchen!

Do chefs start out mad or do the long hours make them

I think it's a combination of both. You have to mad to decide to go down this road, but then hours make you turn even madder! I wouldn't dream of doing anything else anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

My DS is moving to London on Friday to start a new job on Monday. He's looking for a flatshare or short-term stay, preferably in the Shoreditch area, but is running into difficulties. he was on spareroom.co.uk and flatclub but the agents were looking for a bank transfer and we're afraid of a scam. Any recommendations on who we could use. He's working at 'bank and doesn't want to have a long commute. He lived in Shoreditch previously. This is only for 3 months or so because he has some people to share with once they organise themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

chancer12 wrote: »
    My DS is moving to London on Friday to start a new job on Monday. He's looking for a flatshare or short-term stay, preferably in the Shoreditch area, but is running into difficulties. he was on spareroom.co.uk and flatclub but the agents were looking for a bank transfer and we're afraid of a scam. Any recommendations on who we could use. He's working at 'bank and doesn't want to have a long commute. He lived in Shoreditch previously. This is only for 3 months or so because he has some people to share with once they organise themselves.

Airbnb (or similar) for a few days to give him a bit more time, and to ease the hunt as he'd be on the ground?

Air b n b is coming in at approx 90 stg a night!

Can anyone recommend anywhere for short-term lets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Can anyone recommend anywhere for short-term lets?

spareroom.co.uk
    gumtree

Enda, anyone who came back to him from Spareroom wanted money transferred via bank transfer which he isn't going to do. Really looking for a list of agents where there would be a guarantee that it wasn't a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Rightmove.co.uk might work better for you. It's all estate agents, which has its drawbacks, and I don't know what it's like for short lets but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Why does he have to live in Shoreditch? It's one of the most desirable parts of town and is Zone 1, it costs a fortune to live there. He could probably get something infinitely cheaper a bit further East or close to an Overground line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Air b n b is coming in at approx 90 stg a night!

You can get some surprisingly cheap places in London. Here are some in and around Shoreditch:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1463183
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3286947
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/870790
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3141762
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1463183

FTA69 wrote: »
    Why does he have to live in Shoreditch? It's one of the most desirable parts of town and is Zone 1, it costs a fortune to live there. He could probably get something infinitely cheaper a bit further East or close to an Overground line.

He's opted for that because he lived there previously and its near where he works. He doesn't want to have transport costs and can't even afford a bike atmo. He'll be walking to work until he can afford a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He's opted for that because he lived there previously and its near where he works. He doesn't want to have transport costs and can't even afford a bike atmo. He'll be walking to work until he can afford a bike

I understand that but unfortunately having travel costs is often an inescapable part of living in London. Similarly the amount he'd spend living in a place like Shoreditch would probably cost a lot more than living somewhere cheaper and commuting in a few stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Shanedohc

Hi I'm a 23 year old Irish man movin over to London cause I got a job in a kitchen in headdon street just of regents street on west London. I was just wondering would anyone no were there might be a room in a shared house that would be cheap and easy travelling distance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

We have had a terrible time so far looking for a flat.

My OH has started her job already and we've been staying with friends.

I'm job hunting and have been as good as promised a job following feedback on my 2nd interview but the company are still finalising paperwork etc so I'm still classed as unemployed until I receive their contract offer.

Having been unemployed for the last few months in Dublin we don't satisfy many agents criteria as understandably
    the landlords want to have 2 working professionals renting their properties, and we've also been asked to stump up 3 months rent in advance on top of the 6 weeks deposit by certain agents to act as a sort of guarantee of our status etc.

We've also been asked for large holding deposits and 3 months worth of payslips and bank statements, which for me again makes it impossible to deliver on as I was living on social welfare whilst job hunting.

It's hard to find many decent private landlords and even then satisfying their criteria in terms of background checks as above can prove difficult.

We have savings, we have a very strong reference from our previous landlord, my OH has her work contract and is in a senior position but we're still struggling to find a place.

We had an offer in on one place which was ideal but we lost out to someone who apparently put in a higher offer over the monthly asking price in order to secure the property.

And as anyone will tell you, dealing with agencies and finding that properties listed on rightmove etc aren't available when you call them up is something you find out very quickly. They really do move very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property. You might get a more meaningful response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

What kind of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There are banks in every town so choose where you like best. Is it teller work you're looking for, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Make sure you are clear in specifying if you're looking for work in retail banking

There seem to be hundreds of recruiters working in the Investment Banking sector. They aren't likely to have much interest in retail roles so won't be of much help

• Advertisement

Advertisement