Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

This post has been deleted.

Not in retail sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Google! Use google.co.uk.
    Search for investment banking recruitment agents
    Or whatever it is you're looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Sorry, mis-read. google retail banking recruitment agents.
    a lot of retail banks recruit themselves though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Best place to start is an recruitment amalgamation site. Www.indeed.co.uk is probably the best. This amalgamates the jobs on other recruitment sites and covers a vast range of sectors. I stuck in retail banking London and got pages of hits of jobs as customer advisers, cashiers, relationship managers etc. This will capture some of the banks, but probably not all, so you should check their own websites as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

When do you guys normally book flights home for xmas? :o should I do so now or wait until December to book my flight home? or will it just cost 500 million pounds by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Booked flights to Dublin back in March I believe. Can't see them getting any cheaper I'm afraid. There's always rail sail as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Always book Christmas flights as quick as possible as they just go up as they know they can sell them. I was late booking mine this year and it was the most I have had to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I booked mine start of September. London City airport was the cheapest for the first time ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mint Aero wrote: »
    When do you guys normally book flights home for xmas? :o should I do so now or wait until December to book my flight home? or will it just cost 500 million pounds by then

Myself and Brianderunner booked ours in August. Took advantage of the new Flybe route from Southend and the new BA route from London City, heading home from 21-31 Dec. We have one checked bag between us on the way out and one each on the way back and it cost us under £200 between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

My DS left it too late last year and had to do the sail/rail option. He was the sorriest sight I ever saw arriving at Dublin port. Had been out the night before. the train took 5.5 hrs and he had to wait at Holyhead for another 2 - 3, only thing open was a Tesco express. Not to be repeated! However, the journey back was a lot easier and he was able to bring back lot of things from home as there is no weight restriction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I paid £100 for mine from London to Cork, bought them in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

August usually for Xmas flights. Although I could let it slide til early October. Anything after that & I'm staying put with the cat for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I left mine until the first week of November last year and paid 200 quid return from Luton to Knock.....Ouch! ........I'd book now...... or go the Sail Rail route if that suits....

Buddy of mine just shelled out £480 for him and his girlfriend. I'd sooner stay here rather than fork out that sort of coin.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Buddy of mine just shelled out £480 for him and his girlfriend. I'd sooner stay here rather than fork out that sort of coin.

Wow. Thats what I paid for return flights to Chicago at Chistmas

Wow. Thats what I paid for return flights to Chicago at Chistmas

£240? Good value!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I try to book mine by the end of October, although I booked my flight home a few weeks ago (I haven't booked the return to London yet). When I first lived here and was in a thankless retail job I wasn't able to book my flights until December because my manager was a cnut, and they were ridiculously expensive

enda1 wrote: »
    £240? Good value!

In Sterling. €650. Cheap, but not extraordinarily so. And for some reason return was the same price as one way. I don't understand airline fare structures sometimes

In Sterling. €650. Cheap, but not extraordinarily so. And for some reason return was the same price as one way. I don't understand airline fare structures sometimes

I think FTA was saying £240 for the lad and £240 for the lad's girlfriend (£480 in total). I was getting my hopes up about a hop for some skiing in Canada on the cheap. ah well.

Two one way tickets to Cork and two one way tickets from Derry is what they bought. Apparently you may as well be flying from Ulaan Bator as Derry or Belfast at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Wow look at me starting a conversation. Anyways I've decided to donate what I would've paid for a plane ticket to charity and I'm gonna stay and feed the homeless here instead.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I booked my flight home to Cork back in July and paid £65. I booked my flight back to London today and paid £38.69 for it, and it's a 6.40pm flight so no waking at crazy o'clock to get to the airport. Quite pleased with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Paid £200 today to fly from City to Dublin on the 19th and back on the 4th with bags after seeing this thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Boourns. It's times like this I hate working hospitality. I'm going home for fake Christmas in November!

I booked my flight home to Cork back in July and paid £65. I booked my flight back to London today and paid £38.69 for it, and it's a 6.40pm flight so no waking at crazy o'clock to get to the airport. Quite pleased with that!

Getting the early flight out to London is a balls but at least by the time you're home you're fit to go for a few pints or a bit of grub or whatever in the afternoon. It's the late night flights that bother me, there is nothing more soul-destroying than landing at Stansted at 11.30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Back again, now that school is out. I've been on the look out for jobs, and it looks like I'll have to take the plunge and try and get something in blighty.

From replies I have gotten off people, their experiences differ. A few suggested just upping sticks and moving over, then applying for a job. (the idea being "something will have to happen")

I would be hesitant moving to London of all places with no job.

Others suggested coming over and doing the rounds of the recruitment agencies, which might not be a bad idea. I could still use UK addresses and phone numbers while I'm there I suppose.

What to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

seachto7 wrote: »
    Back again, now that school is out. I've been on the look out for jobs, and it looks like I'll have to take the plunge and try and get something in blighty.

From replies I have gotten off people, their experiences differ. A few suggested just upping sticks and moving over, then applying for a job. (the idea being "something will have to happen")

I would be hesitant moving to London of all places with no job.

Others suggested coming over and doing the rounds of the recruitment agencies, which might not be a bad idea. I could still use UK addresses and phone numbers while I'm there I suppose.

What to do....

It really depends on what job you're looking for, what the prospects are for that particular industry and your own skills/experience/track record in the area.

If you have a good qualification, some experience and a strong track record in one of London's key industries (media, advertising/marketing, banking/finance, law/insurance, etc.), then you probably could take a punt on coming over and seeing what you can get.

But if you're just out of college, looking for entry-level positions, looking to change careers or just not that bothered what job you end up doing, it's probably better to come over only if you have a specific offer lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Generally pretty good

I'll list some agencies I've encountered below (not vouching for any of these btw, just skimming my linkedin inbox from when I left my last job in a bank here)

Astbury Marsden
    Palm Mason
    Links Resourcing
    Bruin Financial
    Zenith Group
    Investigo
    Aston Carter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Advertisement