Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

My background is online marketing/technical writing/languages, and I just finished a masters in journalism in UL, bad and all as my writing is! :(

So, while I would be more or less at the entry level for a traditional journalism type role, if I combined my online marketing experience, I wouldn't be.

But I am realistic enough to be not just looking for journalism roles. If writing could be a large part of the job, I'd be happy enough.

I was looking at an agency called Aspire last night. Looked pretty decent. I emailed them anyhow, but have yet to hear back.

It might be case of getting on the boat.... There's very little in terms of media jobs in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Paid £200 today to fly from City to Dublin on the 19th and back on the 4th with bags after seeing this thread :o

I imagine City will be much better priced than people expect given the massive increase in capacity coming on by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Marcusm wrote: »
    I imagine City will be much better priced than people expect given the massive increase in capacity coming on by Christmas.

To be honest, I prefer city anyway so any excuse, However is was much of a muchness to fly from there price wise as it was from stansted etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

This post has been deleted.

To get a more comprehensive view if what's out there, check out Efinancialcareers.co.uk or indeed.co.uk (or com, not sure). These amalgamate the jobs from a load of agencies and websites, and some directly from the big banks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

Hi all,

Car Insurance question:

I brought my car over and have been getting astronomical quotes (£850-1200 on average) from online comparison sites.

Is insurance really that expensive here?

I have an 11 year old 1.9 diesel saloon, I'm driving for almost 15 years and have over 5 years NCB.

I know factors like location, annual mileage etc come into it.

Can anyone recommend a few companies I could try, are there any Irish friendly even?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Hi all,

Car Insurance question:

I brought my car over and have been getting astronomical quotes (£850-1200 on average) from online comparison sites.

I have an 11 year old 1.9 diesel saloon, I'm driving for almost 15 years and have over 5 years NCB.

Can anyone recommend a few companies I could try, are there any Irish friendly even?

Have you re-registered the car in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

83ste wrote: »
    Have you re-registered the car in the UK?

Yep - well it's in process, should have the docs back next week, it was straight forward as it was ex-Uk anyway.

I will get the old reg plate back, which I know and can use when obtaining quotes as my car details show up on the insurance systems.

I know some companies don't seem to recognise non-UK no claims bonuses but surely
    I can do much better than the quotes I'm getting (I hope!).

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Yep - well it's in process, should have the docs back next week, it was straight forward as it was ex-Uk anyway.

I will get the old reg plate back, which I know and can use when obtaining quotes as my car details show up on the insurance systems.

I know some companies don't seem to recognise non-UK no claims bonuses but surely
    I can do much better than the quotes I'm getting (I hope!).

Are you parking on the street or in a secure garage/car park? If you're street parked in a postcode with a high rate of car crime, that could affect it.

Also, I believe UK insurance companies penalise foreign drivers, even if they're quite experienced, as they're not as 'used' to the UK road system as someone who's been driving on it their whole life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Can I ask, do you have to find a post office to buy a stamp? Can't find a bloody post office anywhere and need some stamps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sclosages wrote: »
    Can I ask, do you have to find a post office to buy a stamp? Can't find a bloody post office anywhere and need some stamps!

Most shops/supermarkets sell books of stamps. Like 10 1st class or whatever.
    And post offices are quite abundant in fairness! Have you looked for the nearest one to your postcode online?

Hmm. I was on one of those roads mentioned today and didn't see a post office. That said, it's a long road, so maybe I was on the wrong end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hmm. I was on one of those roads mentioned today and didn't see a post office. That said, it's a long road, so maybe I was on the wrong end of it.

What road mentioned today? :confused:

enda1 wrote: »
    What road mentioned today? :confused:
    No, I used the app you gave, and it mentioned a road I've walked up and down today but I didn't see a post office!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

No, I used the app you gave, and it mentioned a road I've walked up and down today but I didn't see a post office!

Sure it wasn't in the back of another store? Some comprise of little more than a booth in a stationers or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Most News agents sell stamps

Hi all,

Car Insurance question:

That would be about right, remember you have no NCB in the UK, it should drop very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hi all,

Car Insurance question:

Yup, it was expensive that first year or 2. I was getting quotes of 1100+ (1.6 fiesta) from the comparison sites. I went with tesco who were by far the cheapest that year. I have swapped every year since. Churchill to Aviva to direct line now (600ish for both of us, 1.6 Mazda 3). You just have shop around.

Coming from a €300ish policy in Ireland, it was a serious kick in the stones that first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That would be about right, remember you have no NCB in the UK, it should drop very quickly

They will take your Irish NCB, didn't seem to make much difference though. The question about how long you've lived I the UK is the one that brings most weighting in imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Thinking about moving to London for 9 months before I do my final year in college. How difficult is it to find unskilled work over there?

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    Thinking about moving to London for 9 months before I do my final year in college. How difficult is it to find unskilled work over there?

Loads of waitressing work from what I can see over here. Plenty of notices in shop windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's plenty scope for a bit of labouring too if you're up for that. The money would be better than pub/café work and the hours would be more social.

FTA69 wrote: »
    There's plenty scope for a bit of labouring too if you're up for that. The money would be better than pub/café work and the hours would be more social.

Cheers, I've experience labouring and by the looks of the cost of living in London, you simply couldn't survive there working close to minimum wage.

Cheers, I've experience labouring and by the looks of the cost of living in London, you simply couldn't survive there working close to minimum wage.

It's doable but it's crap. I did it for two years and it's very, very tough. Ideally you'd want to couple a few bar hours with the labouring as well.

It's doable but it's crap. I did it for two years and it's very, very tough. Ideally you'd want to couple a few bar hours with the labouring as well.

Matter of Interest what is the daily rate now labouring ?

Tbh, it's looking a bit too expensive. I don't want to bust my balls 6 days a week just to pay my rent. I'll probably move somewhere cheaper, as it's more of a working holiday for 9 months and I'd like some time to do some fun stuff at weekends.

Matter of Interest what is the daily rate now labouring ?

I've seen ads for £75 a day on the paper. Generally you could take slightly above or below that as a gauge.

I've seen ads for £75 a day on the paper. Generally you could take slightly above or below that as a gauge.

And after tax, was getting £ 35 in the hand off the Broadway back in 1988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Quick one. Someone might be able to offers some advice here. I'm heading over to London for a few days the week after next.
    The plan was to arrange some meetings with recruitment agencies and suss things out. (show I'm interested by coming over etc)
    I've emailed a few, told them the story, and have yet to get a reply.
    Obviously I will follow them up early next week, but is it just a case they are probably binning applications or enquiries coming from Ireland?

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Quick one. Someone might be able to offers some advice here. I'm heading over to London for a few days the week after next.
    The plan was to arrange some meetings with recruitment agencies and suss things out. (show I'm interested by coming over etc)
    I've emailed a few, told them the story, and have yet to get a reply.
    Obviously I will follow them up early next week, but is it just a case they are probably binning applications or enquiries coming from Ireland?

Do you have experience?

Sleep on a couch if you can and see what happens

Advertisement