Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

seachto7 wrote: »
    Quick one. Someone might be able to offers some advice here. I'm heading over to London for a few days the week after next.
    The plan was to arrange some meetings with recruitment agencies and suss things out. (show I'm interested by coming over etc)
    I've emailed a few, told them the story, and have yet to get a reply.
    Obviously I will follow them up early next week, but is it just a case they are probably binning applications or enquiries coming from Ireland?

Unless you send your cv, and are very clear about what you are looking for, they probably won't get back to you. You have to remember that they're not there to provide you with a service. They are there to provide their corporate clients with a service. So if you are vague, and they don't feel that there is immediate opportunity to put you forward, and ultimately get a fee off the back of that, then you'll struggle to get much of their time. Coming from overseas doesn't make it any easier. You need to sell yourself hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I agree. Agencies are a shower of bastards as a rule and they exist solely to service companies for a fee, they aren't an employment service. You won't get anything out of an agency unless you make it clear you're immediately available for work and provide the necessary CV etc to back that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I do have experience. I sent them a general email to tell them my story and to tell them I'd be over next week, and if it would be possible to call in to them to meet in person.

I'll follow them all up during the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Hi Seachto - what sector are you looking at?
    I'm over here and looking at the moment. Reed.co.uk, seems to have the vast majority of jobs (for my sector anyway).
    I was getting very few responses to applications, so decided to ring the agencies directly instead (the ones advertising the vacancies).
    Got a call back from one yesterday and went in and registered.
    Other ones will only ask you to register if they have a position they are going to put you forward for.

Sclosages wrote: »
    Hi Seachto - what sector are you looking at?
    I'm over here and looking at the moment. Reed.co.uk, seems to have the vast majority of jobs (for my sector anyway).
    I was getting very few responses to applications, so decided to ring the agencies directly instead (the ones advertising the vacancies).
    Got a call back from one yesterday and went in and registered.
    Other ones will only ask you to register if they have a position they are going to put you forward for.

Looking for a job in editorial/digital editing/copywriting/online content writer etc. (Don't laugh!)

I'm actually over here since Monday, got a UK number, and am using a UK address. I go back to Ireland tomorrow though, and so far no joy.

I registered with one yesterday, so will see how it goes. If I haven't made any headway before Christmas, I think I'll up sticks and move over here, and chance my arm.

How I will sort accommodation will be another thing though. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Any field in particular? And what level?

I work for a large publishing company and I could keep an eye out on jobs being posted on our intranet.

I'm no help to you on that sector I'm afraid. Hopefully SMB can help you out.

In terms of accomodation, I'm renting a room in a house - all bills included. Expensive enough - £140 per week for a double room for one person or £160 for a couple. If you'd prefer to live on your own, you might get a studio flat for £700 per month if you're lucky. I'm in North London - so the cheaper end. Going to stay here until I get sorted with a job and money.

Oh - have you applied for your NI NUMBER?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Looking for a job in editorial/digital editing/copywriting/online content writer etc. (Don't laugh!)

I'm actually over here since Monday, got a UK number, and am using a UK address. I go back to Ireland tomorrow though, and so far no joy.

I registered with one yesterday, so will see how it goes. If I haven't made any headway before Christmas, I think I'll up sticks and move over here, and chance my arm.

How I will sort accommodation will be another thing though. :/

Just saw the following position which may be in your line? Don't know enough about the industry lol to know whether it would be relevant or not!

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/group-copywriter/25947729#/jobs/new-look-retailers-ltd/p17877/london?proximity=30

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Any field in particular? And what level?

I work for a large publishing company and I could keep an eye out on jobs being posted on our intranet.

Open to anything at the moment. Finished a journalism masters, but the odds of getting a regular journo gig are slim these days.

Just my luck I got a call yesterday in the airport about an online marketing job. I have experience in paid advertising (PPC), but to be honest, I'd like to move away from PPC and into content writing/digital editing/ etc.

I also have some foreign lingos ;)

I haven't applied for an NI number. I remember working in France in the late 90s and I had to get an NI number. I'm not sure if it was just something temporary at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

What sites are you looking on for journalism jobs?

Gorkana? journalism.co.uk?

What sites are you looking on for journalism jobs?

Gorkana? journalism.co.uk?

I've been mainly looking at Linkedin, Gorkana, journalism.co.uk, The Guardian and Media Argh.

Many of the jobs would overlap obviously on these sites.

I think I need to come back over to England and have meetings nailed down with recruitment agencies rather than what I just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Was that job with New Look in your line at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

83ste wrote: »

Hi, sorry to interrupt your conversation but you seem to know a lot about the London jobs market.... any advice on sourcing a legal job?
    Recommendations of recruiters / twitter accounts like above etc..... :confused:

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to interrupt your conversation but you seem to know a lot about the London jobs market.... any advice on sourcing a legal job?
    Recommendations of recruiters / twitter accounts like above etc..... :confused:

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the London jobs market. I know a lot about the London media jobs market. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The above list covers my workplace and the majority of vacant roles appear on our fees.

83ste wrote: »

Cheers for that. I think I need to refine the type of work I'm looking for. At the moment, I'm thinking: "a job that involved writing would be good", but that could span a lot of different areas.

I got a call last week about a PPC job, as that's what most of my experience is in, but I want to move away from that, hence me returning to study.

I wouldn't mind but the money is good, so I may have to bite the bullet yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DublinGirl22

Hi there!

I've recently moved to London myself (5 weeks ago, Islington) and I'm doing a masters in a Uni here. Basically I'm doing a podcast about the Irish who have relocated to London, and the things you found fairly odd, for example, nobody understands when I say 'yer man' or 'yer wan' etc etc.

Anyone interested? Your own experience of moving, why you came here etc can be serious, funny or whatever and I'll send you the audio after.

It's a nice, easy listening piece and I'd love to meet other Irish here as well! City can be a bit daunting haha!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/where_to_live_wizard.pl

I don't know how long this has been around but it's a clever little tool for anyone who isn't sure about where to live in London. You choose a few criteria and your max rent, and it offers a few areas that would suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I thought I was booking the rail-sail ticket early this year but it seems Saturday the 20th is all sold out for the day time trips. I want me to back for the Sunday meaning I'll have to do the journey during the night instead. Has anyone done it before? I'm expecting it to be awful - will it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i've always taken the overnight ferry. the vast majority of people just want to sleep so bring something to keep you warm and a pair of sharp elbows in the fight for seats. try and stay as far from the bars as possible, because there's usually a few people who think it's party central ... on a ferry in the middle of the irish sea full of families.
    whatever you do, don't upgrade to club class, or whatever it's called. it's noisier there!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

My son did it last year and it was dreadful. Didn't help that he had a massive hangover having come straight from his work 'do'! He got the train mid-afternoon on the Sat before Christmas from Euston to Holyhead and had to hang around there for a couple of hours. Tesco Express was the only place open. The boat trip itself wasn't too bad in terms of comfort but there were a lot of people travelling with small children who didn't settle well. Travelled through the night and arrived in Dublin Port at approx 6.30 (dreadful place). However, the trip back was a lot easier because the train was waiting for the boat and there was no hanging around. The good thing is that there are no weight restrictions and when he went back he was able to bring lots of stuff that had to be left behind when he originally went. most important thing is to get home, you'll survive it.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Yeah the worst part by far is the wait in Holyhead to get on the boat. Dress warm! I always bring a sleeping bag for the boat itself.

If you decide to get the train on Friday night (i.e. the ferry in early hours of Saturday morning) then bear in mind that the train out of Euston could be EXTREMELY busy so keep your eyes glued to the noticeboard and move your ass when the platform is announced!

Is taking the Friday off and going on the day ferry an option? It's a much more pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

One other thing to bear in mind is that he came with Stena and while they confirmed his boat ticket the rail ticket doesn't guarantee you a place on the train as 'breadmonkey' says you need to be sharpish about getting to the station. I'm not sure if all providers are the same but you might want to check that out. I was terrified he wouldn't get on the train and then miss the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

It shouldn't be quite as bad this year with Christmas being on a Thursday. If it is a Saturday through to a Tuesday, then the Friday night train is hell on earth. But there will be a lot of people working for a couple of days on Christmas week, and the travel volume will be a little more spread out.

Nevertheless, approach Euston with a view to running for the train. Elbows out. Don't be ashamed!

And if you can, ask a guard which the unreserved carriages are so that you can run directly to them.....to save you having to walk through the reserved ones to get to the ones with free seating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Wages in the financial sector in London are generally quite good

What area are you working in? How much experience have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Have a browse through the study below:
    http://www.michaelpage.co.uk/minisite/salary-survey/greater-london#salary-results

I know that graduates in the investment banks in London (IT/Ops grads) come in at £35k upwards

Advertisement