Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Found out today I'm not working for Christmas... Couldn't face the 13 hour trip on the train/ferry so £200 just went onto the credit card. Quite possibly the only time I'd be willing to spend that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Found out today I'm not working for Christmas... Couldn't face the 13 hour trip on the train/ferry so £200 just went onto the credit card. Quite possibly the only time I'd be willing to spend that!

Did you look at LCY flights? Given increase in capacity, there have been some great prices, even around Christmas.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Did you look at LCY flights? Given increase in capacity, there have been some great prices, even around Christmas.

Yeah I looked up pretty much everything and that was the best I coud find! Need an early evening flight back on the 28th as I'm working 7am on the 29th! Had been hoping to not get the 6.30am flight out of stansted but a later one was another £30! Tbh, it's pretty much what I was expecting 3 weeks before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You're lucky - my OH ended up going from Bristol his first Christmas in London after moving over the first week in December!

• Advertisement

You're lucky - my OH ended up going from Bristol his first Christmas in London after moving over the first week in December!

I never even thought of looking at other English airports, looked at irish ones but not England. Ah well too late now, I'm just glad I can make it home!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

£200 for a return flight to Ireland so close to Christmas? That's not bad at all. I paid close to that for just the leg home a few weeks ago.

Need to sort my flight back yet as I'm still not sure what day I'm flying back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Do the tube service call a whole line to a standstill for someone 'fallen ill' at a tube stop? FFS - took me 3 hours to get home today because tubes were all stopping at King's Cross as someone had fallen ill at Holloway Road. Unless they had ebola or had 'fallen' ill onto the tube line, why the **** close the whole line????????????

As an aside, if anyone is looking for work, and I think I may have accidentally made my CV public on a website, but I got a call today from someone who had seen it. I would have never thought making your CV public on a website would ever get interest, but apparently it did - so don't rule it out. That said, the recruiter was based in Birmingham, with myself in London, but I guess if you have critical words in there that people search for, it might gain results for someone else. I'd say if you have some very specific knowledge or experience this might be more true, so to the poster who was looking at a niche industry (copyright or something), maybe try that option too.

Sclosages wrote: »

As an aside, if anyone is looking for work, and I think I may have accidentally made my CV public on a website, but I got a call today from someone who had seen it. I would have never thought making your CV public on a website would ever get interest, but apparently it did - so don't rule it out. That said, the recruiter was based in Birmingham, with myself in London, but I guess if you have critical words in there that people search for, it might gain results for someone else. I'd say if you have some very specific knowledge or experience this might be more true, so to the poster who was looking at a niche industry (copyright or something), maybe try that option too.

This is exactly what I did and how I got the job I'm starting next week. Within an hour of posting it I'd had calls from several recruiters and different restaurants. Turns out there quite the demand for chefs in London. Also if anyone is looking for hospitality work I'd highly recommend caterer.com!

Sclosages wrote: »
    Do the tube service call a whole line to a standstill for someone 'fallen ill' at a tube stop? FFS - took me 3 hours to get home today because tubes were all stopping at King's Cross as someone had fallen ill at Holloway Road. Unless they had ebola or had 'fallen' ill onto the tube line, why the **** close the whole line????????????
    The service is run tight enough at peak times that even a short delay (waiting for an ambulance at a station for an ill/injured passenger etc) would have a significant knock-on effect on the rest of the line. You were stopped at King's Cross though - one of the busiest interchange stations, there were alternatives.

• Advertisement

The service is run tight enough at peak times that even a short delay (waiting for an ambulance at a station for an ill/injured passenger etc) would have a significant knock-on effect on the rest of the line. You were stopped at King's Cross though - one of the busiest interchange stations, there were alternatives.

Yup - a bus.

Why would waiting for an ambulance have stopped the whole line though. Wait for the ambulance! Don't call the whole line to a standstill?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Maybe it was a suicide. Or someone was ill on the train and couldn't get off it so the line may have to stop for safety reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

My understanding was that a "person falling ill" on the tube is in most cases a heart attack. Serious enough to stop the line in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Anyone able to answer a phone questions? If I'm calling a London mobile from an Irish mobile are they charged roaming or am I the only one paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

chancer12 wrote: »
    Anyone able to answer a phone questions? If I'm calling a London mobile from an Irish mobile are they charged roaming or am I the only one paying?

"London mobile" I presume means UK mobile.
    Where are each of the respective parties, you and them?

In the EU it's the caller who pays the expected charge to call a UK phone irrespective of where that other phone is. So if you're in Dublin with an Irish mobile and call a UK mobile number, the call cost is the same if they're in the UK, Ireland or USA.

For them, the origin of the call is not reflected in the cost of receiving a call. If they're in the UK it's free. If they're in the EU ex UK then it's a fixed per minute cost usually and outside EU a per country cost depending where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Is the London mobile in London a UK-registered mobile in London, or an Irish-registered mobile in London, or a UK-regsitered mobile outside the UK? Is your Irish mobile in the UK or in Ireland? So many possible combinations!:)

If a call is made or received by a phone that's in a different country from where it's registered, then (I think) roaming charges apply. So for example if you're ringing a UK-registered mobile that's in Ireland, and you're on an Irish-regsitered mobile in London, then both of you pay roaming.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I was phone from Dublin using an Irish mobile to London where he has a UK registered mobile. So, I guess he wasn't charged for receiving the call. thanks so much

Ye, they wouldn't be roaming if they have a UK mobile and are in the UK.

If however, you have an Irish mobile, and you're in the UK and someone from Ireland calls you, then the 'roamer' i.e. the recipient of the call in the UK, would be charged roaming fees for receipt of the call.

Wd anyone know if a prescription from a doctor in Dublin can be processed in London? My son has been in Lnd for the last couple of months but has only now signed up with a GP practice and can't get an appointment for another 2 weeks. he has an ongoing medical condition that requires medication and has run out of tablets, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! If I get a copy of the prescription and send it, will it be processed? Am afraid to get the tablets and send them via the mail in case they're confiscated. Could kill him for this!

• Advertisement

Generally surgeries have some capacity for on-the-day appointments, it might involve a bit of fastest-finger-first on the phone at 8am though. Tell him to check if his surgery has that and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wd anyone know if a prescription from a doctor in Dublin can be processed in London? My son has been in Lnd for the last couple of months but has only now signed up with a GP practice and can't get an appointment for another 2 weeks. he has an ongoing medical condition that requires medication and has run out of tablets, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! If I get a copy of the prescription and send it, will it be processed? Am afraid to get the tablets and send them via the mail in case they're confiscated. Could kill him for this!

Also try online prescription. Try have some previous test results to hand as an online doctor could ask for some info. Won't work for every condition of course but worth a shout.

Thanks so much for those suggestions, have passed them on, much appreciated

My mum works as a gp receptionist in Ireland and has mentioned to me before that it's possible to fax the prescription to a pharmacy in the UK. You should check with your gp to see if they do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Since 2013, EU issued prescriptions should be capable of being filled in the UK (and othe rmember states). Whether an individual pharmacy will have experience of this or even know how to charge for it - the meds themselves, the std prescription fee etc - would depend. Irrespective, if he had an ongoing meical condition, he should get his UK GP to address it to minimise difficulty and access to meds on a low cost basis. The surgery will have a set availability of "emergency appointments" - these are not actually for emergencies but atre for things which are not pre scheduled. Tell him to get on the phone and insist on one. It's a sad fact that those who insist are seen.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Since 2013, EU issued prescriptions should be capable of being filled in the UK (and othe rmember states). Whether an individual pharmacy will have experience of this or even know how to charge for it - the meds themselves, the std prescription fee etc - would depend. Irrespective, if he had an ongoing meical condition, he should get his UK GP to address it to minimise difficulty and access to meds on a low cost basis. The surgery will have a set availability of "emergency appointments" - these are not actually for emergencies but atre for things which are not pre scheduled. Tell him to get on the phone and insist on one. It's a sad fact that those who insist are seen.

Marcusm, thanks so much for that really good advice. Have posted the meds now as a precaution but will make sure he sorts this for next month.

Appreciate everyone's feedback, love this forum as I think people are so generous with their advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SockJudgement

Hello

I am currently living in New Zealand on a working visa hoping to move to London next year , can anyone shed some light on the costs involved and websites to find accommodation and best areas to live in. We are looking at Shoreditch as we know people living there, what it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SockJudgement

Whats the cheapest way to get about? Ive used Oyster cards in the past and I found I was spending a fortune, how much is a monthly, travel-all-you-like pass, if one exists?

Depends on how many zones you need to travel through. My monthly zone 1-2 travel card costs £120.60. Weekly is £31.40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement