Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Whats the cheapest way to get about? Ive used Oyster cards in the past and I found I was spending a fortune, how much is a monthly, travel-all-you-like pass, if one exists?

Using your oyster on a pay as you go basis bleeds you dry. The travel card options are on the tfl website. You'll have to do some maths to work out which is best.

Note that you don't necessarily need an oyster any more. Contactless bank cards can be registered with tfl and used in the same way as an oyster now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Whats the cheapest way to get about? Ive used Oyster cards in the past and I found I was spending a fortune, how much is a monthly, travel-all-you-like pass, if one exists?

If you're just travelling from home to work and back, it might be easier to get a point to point ticket on the train. Streatham to London Terminals, which covers a multiple of stations is about £80 power month. If you're South of the river, it could be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

And that's unlimited travel between zone 1-2 yeah? I was in London for a weekend last Christmas and spent 40pounds on my oyster card in one weekend!!!

The only way that could have happened is that you got a bunch of penalty fares for not tapping off at ungated stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

In general do people like living in London, I get bored easily, im hoping to move over in the summer.

Is it easy meet new people? I love zumba and badminton so would love to be able to jobs a few clubs

Ya London's a great spot.
    Its easy to meet new people if you make the effort. If you don't make the effort then you will just get lost in the crowd.
    You won't get bored in London. There is a never ending list of things to do. Now I really should get off my ass and do some if those things!! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just a general heads-up - if you're looking to rent and find yourself dealing with Next Move London in Islington, read this article before deciding to go ahead.

It's also a good reminder to read through the fine detail of whatever contract you're offered for a tenancy before signing - charging over a grand to replace two tenants in a tenancy agreement when the landlord's already approved them is taking the piss on an Olympic level.

Also worth noting that according to the article, letting agents can't charge prospective tenants a registration fee any more, which is welcome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fysh wrote: »
    Just a general heads-up - if you're looking to rent and find yourself dealing with Next Move London in Islington, read this article before deciding to go ahead.

It's also a good reminder to read through the fine detail of whatever contract you're offered for a tenancy before signing - charging over a grand to replace two tenants in a tenancy agreement when the landlord's already approved them is taking the piss on an Olympic level.

Also worth noting that according to the article, letting agents can't charge prospective tenants a registration fee any more, which is welcome news.

They never could charge a registration fee , thats why they whack you on admin fees

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They never could charge a registration fee , thats why they whack you on admin fees

Every time I dealt with an estate agent in London I had to pay a registration fee to the agency as part of getting the tenancy processed. Couldn't tell you whether they called it an admin fee or not, they were all very blunt about it being a tenant registration fee in practice. I suppose it was too much to hope for legislation that would properly prevent them from abusing their position like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fysh wrote: »
    Every time I dealt with an estate agent in London I had to pay a registration fee to the agency as part of getting the tenancy processed. Couldn't tell you whether they called it an admin fee or not, they were all very blunt about it being a tenant registration fee in practice. I suppose it was too much to hope for legislation that would properly prevent them from abusing their position like that...

I know you did, it is just another exsample of a law that cannot be enforced.

Dealt with one sod in South London who tried to charge me a months rent to take up references , he was politely told to jog on

• Advertisement

anyone know what the area of Langley near Slough is like? is it rough?

has anyone got any ideas of the best areas to live in close to Heathrow as I am moving over soon to work in Heathrow so I need to be close to tube etc? Its hard to know which are good/bad areas...... any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

has anyone got any ideas of the best areas to live in close to Heathrow as I am moving over soon to work in Heathrow so I need to be close to tube etc? Its hard to know which are good/bad areas...... any help would be great

Ealing is a good area about 20mins on the tube from Heathrow

Langley is one of the better areas of Slough but that's not saying much. I work in Slough and live in Ealing.

If you need easy access to Heathrow via tube then somewhere near South Ealing tube station would be good. Its on the Piccadilly line which goes straight to Heathrow in about 20 minutes. And it's beside the M4 if you have a car you can drive to Heathrow.

South Ealing is also good because its cheaper than Ealing Broadway, there are loads of busses that bring you up to Ealing Broadway in about 10 minutes for the Central line.
    You can also catch the Overground from Brentford.

Don't live in Langley. There is nothing to do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I live in South Ealing myself, very handy area for transport links with the Piccadilly, Central, District and Overground all nearby and the Heathrow Express to Paddington getting you to central London in less than 10 minutes. 20 minutes to Heathrow and you've also got the A40, M4 and North Circular within a few minutes drive.

There's some nice parks, a few decent pubs and a shopping centre in the area and you've got Westfield and Kingston nearby for major shopping. Definitely recommend it as an area!

Harps wrote: »
    I live in South Ealing myself, very handy area for transport links with the Piccadilly, Central, District and Overground all nearby and the Heathrow Express to Paddington getting you to central London in less than 10 minutes. 20 minutes to Heathrow and you've also got the A40, M4 and North Circular within a few minutes drive.

There's some nice parks, a few decent pubs and a shopping centre in the area and you've got Westfield and Kingston nearby for major shopping. Definitely recommend it as an area!

sounds good - thats great advice. I'd heard about Langley and saw a lovely property there online but everybody says dont live there! Its hard to check things out as I'm living in Ireland until the New Year and start work with British Airways in February - so I wont get a chance to check things out until I get over - hoping to do this early January. Any more advice just shout! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hi, just wondering how ye think the cost of living compares to dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

zweton wrote: »

This is reasonably accurate.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Dublin&city2=London

how are you finding it there? much better than dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Rent and travel are the killers. Day to living excluding these is less, for sure. My weekly grocery shopping is considerably cheaper, and eating out can be cheaper (obviously can also be considerably more expensive...the point is that you have more choice). There is more to do on the weekend that is free / cheap compared to Dublin.

Its just the bloody rent that gets you!

tibor wrote: »

Generally its more expensive but depending on what your job is when you come over you will probably be earning more than you do in Dublin.

• Advertisement

have ye more or less disposable income compared to dublin do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Less at the moment because I'm squirrelling away as much money as I can to pay for my wedding, but a bit more in general. I'm on a good bit more than I was on in Dublin for similar work though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Considering a move. Question:

How far are you from London City Centre (lets say Oxford Street) in terms of your commute and how much is your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Edge of zone 2 (Archway is a zone 2/3 station) - 25 minutes on the train + 10 minutes walk to the station in the morning (alternatively 35 minutes run or 15-20 minute cycle) to Old Street. We (myself and my OH) are renting a 2 bedroom apartment which is significantly underpriced for the area we are in - we are paying £1130/month when you would struggle to find a 1 bed for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Edge of zone 2 (Archway is a zone 2/3 station) - 25 minutes on the train + 10 minutes walk to the station in the morning (alternatively 35 minutes run or 15-20 minute cycle) to Old Street. We (myself and my OH) are renting a 2 bedroom apartment which is significantly underpriced for the area we are in - we are paying £1130/month when you would struggle to find a 1 bed for that now.

That's an amazing price for what you're getting and the area

We have a 2 bed near East Finchley and we're paying £1350 / month which isn't bad either. There's good value to be had in North London

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

We've a 1-bed in Cricklewood which is in zone 3. You can get into the centre of town in 30 minutes or so (5-minute bus ride then 20-minute tube) but we don't work in town. We're paying £1,040/ month

how long have ye guys been in london, would you say it has helped your career by moving over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

how long have ye guys been in london, would you say it has helped your career by moving over there?

I've been here 3.5 years now. Moved straight over after college

Having only ever worked in the UK then I can't compare the two environments but I moved mainly because I could get a much better salary in London than in Dublin/Cork

FutureGuy wrote: »

How far are you from London City Centre (lets say Oxford Street) in terms of your commute and how much is your rent?

The price of rent is not all down to distance.
    You can live on the east side of the city and be closer to Oxford street and pay much less than living must further west and living in somewhere like Chelsea.

I live in Ealing and paying 520 a month for a room. I could probably move about 500 Meters south where there are no tube stations near by and save nearly 100 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

FutureGuy wrote: »

Living in spitalfields/shoreditch with a 7 min walk to work in old street. One bed for £1400 but no commuting costs/hassle and building has a concierge and communal garden area.

Advertisement