Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

caesar wrote: »
    I got off to a great start, got my o2 sim free at the airport upon arrival back in Jan. Was thinking of switching to a contract but they all seem to be 24 months. I need a new phone anyway but will have to weigh up the pros and cons.

As for the bank account I was waiting until I got a permanent address so that I could get BOI to issue a statement to that and then I'd have proof of address. I thought it was really difficult to open an account without it. Granted I probably should have popped into the bank and asked but was convinced you needed more than your passport from what I heard from people and read on here. Probably spent a small fortune withdrawing from my Irish account. I should have the statement in the coming days but if I can open an account without it I will. Would save a lot of hassle.

I called Llyods just there. They said you do need a utility bill from your permanent address in the UK.

Incidentally, have many people on Boards gone with the HSBC Passport option? Or has the 8 quid a month been too much of a turn-off? Is it really as easy to set up as it appears to be?

Also, how long have people had to wait for the National Insurance interview? And did you have any say in when it was held?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I called Llyods just there. They said you do need a utility bill from your permanent address in the UK.

Incidentally, have many people on Boards gone with the HSBC Passport option? Or has the 8 quid a month been too much of a turn-off? Is it really as easy to set up as it appears to be?

Also, how long have people had to wait for the National Insurance interview? And did you have any say in when it was held?

Cheers!

HSBC passport account is the way to go. The main benefit is that when you have a proper UK address, you can upgrade to a normal account immediately.

With the most basic bank accounts at most of the banks (the ones that you can open without a UK address) you only get a cashcard, but the biggest problem is that you cannot then upgrade for a minimum of 6 months. It is assumed that as you haven't opened a normal bank account, then there is a reason for it, and so a waiting period is imposed before you can upgrade (it is a FSA regulation). The HSBC passport account gets around this, and lets you upgrade before the six month waiting period, as well as giving you a proper switch card. As far as I am aware, that is a unique product, and presumably a risk to HSBC, hence the monthly charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You don't - it says as much on their website. Just go into any branch with your passport, explain yourself (refer specifically to the website) and they will open an account for you. They will ask you for your addresses over the last 3 years, but you will not require proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Why not just pop up to Northern Ireland and set up an Ulster Bank account or something similar (they accept Republic addresses, and then change it over to your home address in the UK when you arrive)? The same with the phone SIM, just pop over the border to get it. Then you'll have all that stuff sorted before you come over.

If you're over here already, registering for an account shouldn't be that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

steve9859 wrote: »
    HSBC passport account is the way to go. The main benefit is that when you have a proper UK address, you can upgrade to a normal account immediately.

With the most basic bank accounts at most of the banks (the ones that you can open without a UK address) you only get a cashcard, but the biggest problem is that you cannot then upgrade for a minimum of 6 months. It is assumed that as you haven't opened a normal bank account, then there is a reason for it, and so a waiting period is imposed before you can upgrade (it is a FSA regulation). The HSBC passport account gets around this, and lets you upgrade before the six month waiting period, as well as giving you a proper switch card. As far as I am aware, that is a unique product, and presumably a risk to HSBC, hence the monthly charge

Thanks for that.

The girl I was talking to said that I would have to wait 6 months to upgrade though. Having said that I pulled her up on a few things as mentioned on the website and she seemed to backtrack and say that it all depends on the specific branch. I'll just see what happens when I go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Hi Choccie Lover,

I don't know if this will be much use to you as you don't have a job yet (do you?) but perhaps will be useful info for someone else.

I got a full HSBC bank account without a permanent UK address but explained my situation: that I was working there, needed an account to be paid into, was looking for accommodation and they agreed to use my work address as my correspondance address which would be amended to my home address when I got one...had my Irish utility bills / passport with me and a letter from work stating that I was employed by them. That was HSBC Belgravia branch just outside Victoria station. They even set up my internet banking on the spot which was very useful.

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm going to be moving over to London for the summer in June. I'll be getting accommodation sorted when I get over there so I know I'll have to wait until then to sort out a bank account. What I was wondering is can I get a national insurance number before I go over or do I need an address/to be living in the UK to get that?

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    What I was wondering is can I get a national insurance number before I go over or do I need an address/to be living in the UK to get that?
    You need to be living in the UK - it's relatively straightforward to sort out once you get here.

EDIT: Details here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm going to be moving over to London for the summer in June. I'll be getting accommodation sorted when I get over there so I know I'll have to wait until then to sort out a bank account. What I was wondering is can I get a national insurance number before I go over or do I need an address/to be living in the UK to get that?

I do hope you're quite sure you can get accommodation sorted - there will be huge demand during and around the Olympics times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

snowfinch wrote: »
    Hi Choccie Lover,

I don't know if this will be much use to you as you don't have a job yet (do you?) but perhaps will be useful info for someone else.

I got a full HSBC bank account without a permanent UK address but explained my situation: that I was working there, needed an account to be paid into, was looking for accommodation and they agreed to use my work address as my correspondance address which would be amended to my home address when I got one...had my Irish utility bills / passport with me and a letter from work stating that I was employed by them. That was HSBC Belgravia branch just outside Victoria station. They even set up my internet banking on the spot which was very useful.

Good luck with the move.

I'll second this, I did have an irish Ulster bank account and put an english address on it so I had a bank statement with a real address. I told them I was living there and would be getting paid when I find a job. They let me open a full account in HSBC Muswell hill as long as 500 a month was paid into the account. You have up to 90 days to lodge the money so that should cover you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bill_lehane

I considered the passport account as well, but ended up just going with a free Lloyds account since I had a corporate flat rental that was temporary but which I could use as my UK address and then change it online afterwards. No problems since, aside from the hefty 10 pound ( or is it 15) fee to send money to my Irish account, which is or was until recently free in the other direction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

How long did other people have to wait to hear from them after applying for the passport account? I applied online on Friday evening and haven't heard anything back from them since, is that normal?

No problems since, aside from the hefty 10 pound ( or is it 15) fee to send money to my Irish account, which is or was until recently free in the other direction...
    Don't use Lloyds to send money abroad - use currencyfair.com or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nicoleide

Hi lads,

I am based in Dublin but I am moving over to London as I will start working for a Media company based in Sheperd's Bush at the beginning of May. Next week I will be in London for 2/3 days in the hope of sorting things out at least for a new bank account, sim card and National Insurance number. I would have a few quick questions and I would really appreciate if anyone would be up to give his/her opinion about these topics:

a) since I will be based in Sheperd's Bush, how do you see Battersea or Acton as potential places to live? would you recommend some better area around West London?

b) how long will I need to wait before receiving a NI number? I guess that it would be quite annoying to overpay tax on my first salary...

c) between Barclays and Lloyds for which bank would you go?

sorry if these too many questions all at once! any kind of advice is welcome!

cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Nicoleide wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I am based in Dublin but I am moving over to London as I will start working for a Media company based in Sheperd's Bush at the beginning of May. Next week I will be in London for 2/3 days in the hope of sorting things out at least for a new bank account, sim card and National Insurance number. I would have a few quick questions and I would really appreciate if anyone would be up to give his/her opinion about these topics:

a) since I will be based in Sheperd's Bush, how do you see Battersea or Acton as potential places to live? would you recommend some better area around West London?

b) how long will I need to wait before receiving a NI number? I guess that it would be quite annoying to overpay tax on my first salary...

cheers ;)

1 How much are you willing to pay (rent + travel ), how long do you want to commute , then have a look at parts of London

2 Read here, how long does it take god knows

3 Lloyds , but then I have been carrying out a vendetta against Barclays since 1989

1 How much are you willing to pay (rent + travel ), how long do you want to commute , then have a look at parts of London

2 Read here, how long does it take god knows

3 Lloyds , but then I have been carrying out a vendetta against Barclays since 1989

Hi whothefug, thanks for your reply.

Well we should be 2 friends renting - so we were thinking of a budget of 1400 max 1500 £ per month.

I read before that section on the gov website, but you know I tend to distrust a bit the waiting time on the official websiteand I was more looking for real life experience from people who already dealt with getting this 'holy' NI number :)

Hi lads,

cheers ;)

a) I don't know Acton so can't comment. I know Battersea and I think it's a good area (though like most places in London you get good and bad pockets mixed in). However, Battersea isn't that close to Shepherd's Bush - train and Tube journeys would be difficult, but there are probably buses.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    a) I don't know Acton so can't comment. I know Battersea and I think it's a good area (though like most places in London you get good and bad pockets mixed in). However, Battersea isn't that close to Shepherd's Bush - train and Tube journeys would be difficult, but there are probably buses.

Hey Louche

Thanks for ur advice.

Basically the room that I have been offered in Battersea should be located 7/8 mins walk to Clapham Junction station and I thought that from Clapham Junction there was an overground train that in 4 stops was taking me to Sheperds Bush. Would this be uncorrect?
    Would u prefer other area instead? do u know Putney? for what is my understanding is a good area with the bad side of being on the district line. would u confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi whothefug, thanks for your reply.

Well we should be 2 friends renting - so we were thinking of a budget of 1400 max 1500 £ per month.

I read before that section on the gov website, but you know I tend to distrust a bit the waiting time on the official websiteand I was more looking for real life experience from people who already dealt with getting this 'holy' NI number :)

1500 would be OK.

Got my NI number many moons ago so won't advise about current practice

Battersea to Shepherds Bush should be easy if you take overground to Hammersmith from Clapham junction

Hey Louche

Thanks for ur advice.

Basically the room that I have been offered in Battersea should be located 7/8 mins walk to Clapham Junction station and I thought that from Clapham Junction there was an overground train that in 4 stops was taking me to Sheperds Bush. Would this be uncorrect?
    Would u prefer other area instead? do u know Putney? for what is my understanding is a good area with the bad side of being on the district line. would u confirm?

:o Oh, I didn't know about that line from Clapham Junction to Shepherd's Bush! I keep thinking I've mastered transport in London, then find out something I didn't know! That journey looks fine, judging by the TfL site.

About Putney: only been there twice, but it looked like a good area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If you were on the Clapham Junction side of Battersea then you could walk to the station and get a direct train to Shepard's Bush. It's a busy train route though.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    If you were on the Clapham Junction side of Battersea then you could walk to the station and get a direct train to Shepard's Bush. It's a busy train route though.

cool! :)

on the tfl route planner says that it should take up to 19 mins. it sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

cool! :)

on the tfl route planner says that it should take up to 19 mins. it sounds good
    Yep, it'd be a very convenient route but I must say that I find it very busy at times. I could get the same train to/from work every day but from Balham and stopping just before Shepard's Bush but I take the tube every day instead.

It would be a nice run/cycle too if you were that way inclined.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Yep, it'd be a very convenient route but I must say that I find it very busy at times. I could get the same train to/from work every day but from Balham and stopping just before Shepard's Bush but I take the tube every day instead.

It would be a nice run/cycle too if you were that way inclined.

well thats a great tip as I love cycling!

cheers!

@Nicoleide: Which road in Battersea have you been offered a room in? I might be able to advise on suitability.

I am actually going to send an email to find it out and as soon as I will have it I will let you know!

many thanks for your help

cheerio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Is that budget for just rent or rent, bills etc?

I ask because 1500 for rent alone is an awful lot. I live in a really nice two bed place near canary wharf for 1275. Now I know if I looked a bit longer/harder I could have gotten a nice place somewhere for much less

x43r0 wrote: »
    Is that budget for just rent or rent, bills etc?

I ask because 1500 for rent alone is an awful lot. I live in a really nice two bed place near canary wharf for 1275. Now I know if I looked a bit longer/harder I could have gotten a nice place somewhere for much less

Canary wharf is south east right? unfortunately south west looks more expensive than other areas in London. I will be working in Shep Bush so I would like to get something not too far from there. Where did u look up to find your place?I am having a look mainly at gumtree and the price range for a double bedroom flat seems to be between 1350 to 1500 sometimes excluding bills.I mean ideally I would like to spend (myself and this friend of mine) no more than 1500 with all the bills included. Although I am wondering if it is feasible...

How is Hammersmith as area to live do you know anything about?

I really appreciate your advices,

Cheers

How is Hammersmith as area to live do you know anything about?
    Not nice, unless you like flyovers.

Shepherds Bush itself is a nice area, but probably expensive rent-wise.

Battersea's not a bad spot - plenty to do in the general Clapham Junction area. However, the main disadvantage is the lack of a tube station.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Not nice, unless you like flyovers.

Shepherds Bush itself is a nice area, but probably expensive rent-wise.

Battersea's not a bad spot - plenty to do in the general Clapham Junction area. However, the main disadvantage is the lack of a tube station.

thanks for the advice.

Is Acton Town a good area to live in your opinion? what do u think of Putney instead? is the lack of a tube station around Clapham is not balanced out by the great train system that seems to be down there?

cheers!

Advertisement