Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distilled media passport

Options
  • 12-05-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Seems as boards dot eye E is part of the Distilled media group, would you not consider allowing users log into the journal and daft etc through their boards account?

It'd put the name out there even more for the site being one of the reasons. More attention means more users means more revenue.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But.. then we'd know who the journal trolls were on here :D:D

Kidding, good idea, +1 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The same way as nearly every site now wants you to log in with your Facebook details? No thanks.

It's a great idea for Distilled Media, and no doubt they'll have thought of it already, but then probably decided against it on the basis that it's just that tad too invasive, as in being able to relate what you posted on Boards.ie to jobs you looked at or products you bought on Adverts.ie, what articles peaked your interest on Journal.ie while you were looking at property in a specific area on Daft.ie, and then being able to serve you up personalised content without even going to the bother of using cookies to track your activity.

They probably decided it wouldn't get off the starting blocks as too many would find that creepy as fcuk. I for one anyway value what little privacy I have left without sites building up a profile of my person based on my Internet activity.

It'd be convenient certainly to have the same login across all Distilled Media sites, but do you remember the great boards hack of 2010? There's a gaping hole in the plan right there. If anyone were to get their hands on that database, you'd have nobody to blame but yourself for giving identity thieves paydirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As a Google fanboi this doesn't bother me to be honest. If I was renting a room out I probably wouldn't use my boards login. A lot of people already use their boards accounts for adverts. Why not keep it consistent with the likes of the journal and so on. Frankly, I'd rather use my boards login to the journal than my bookface or tweeter. I'd find it less invasive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MugMugs wrote: »
    As a Google fanboi this doesn't bother me to be honest. If I was renting a room out I probably wouldn't use my boards login. A lot of people already use their boards accounts for adverts. Why not keep it consistent with the likes of the journal and so on. Frankly, I'd rather use my boards login to the journal than my bookface or tweeter. I'd find it less invasive.
    Which would imply you'd get a second account to do this but now you'd be in breech (of the assumed) 1 account per person policy instead.

I think the option could be there for people who want it but also leave an option to be seperate as well. Seeing what information people already share on boards (phone number, real life name, very sensitive events etc.) which honestly probably should not be shared I'm inclined towards not sharing simply because there are to many people sharing to much as is (and giving more ammo for stalkers and trolls is not exactly a route I'd like to see things go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's something that can be done with Adverts, I agree it'd be nice to get it implemented for TheJournal too, maybe even Daft, but there's less of a need and as it's more "business" than fun, people would probably want to keep that separate.

I've mentioned it to TheJournal folks before, I'll do so again and see if we can make it happen without too much fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nody wrote: »
    Which would imply you'd get a second account to do this but now you'd be in breech (of the assumed) 1 account per person policy instead.

Not really. Daft is a seperate entity. Whilst owned by the same group it stands alone. I've got a seperate login for daft already. The using boards part is just another option for people.

I wouldn't use my boards account on daft as I'm a regular to boards and like to keep my animonity between my real ID and my boards login.

But Fred from down the road who logs onto boards once in a blue moon to ask a question might find it handy to use the same login. It's just an option open to people.

:)

Advertisement