Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

• 12-05-2013 11:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

hi there

il explain as best I can , two days ago I viewed pups for sale at a couples house , having decided on which pup I wanted , the lady of the house invited me to see the pups mum , unfortunately the mum bit me on the hand and while their was but a tiny amount of blood , one has to wonder if the bitch is carrying something unpleasant , the lady was extremely apologetic and pledged to give me a discount on the pups but she didn't offer me water with a disinfectant to bathe the wound , I had to ask for a plaster and even then it was a pretty poor one , her partner was in another part of the house when this happened and when he came in to see what happened , he was pretty indifferent and ruled out the discount his partner had proposed , for fear of potential gentic issue re_ temprement , I said I wanted to think about my purchase for a bit and said I would go down town to pick up some things in the shop , the lady showed me out and five mins later I got a text saying they would only sell the pups at the originally agreed price , clearly the ladys boyfriend had opposed her offer to give a discount in light of the mother of the pups lunging at me , I rang up and said I was a little disappointed as I had taken the ( albeit minor ) attack with good grace and humour , I said that many people would not be so understanding , she said she would talk to her partner , five mins later I got a call from her partner who came out with thee most inflammatory language , he accused me of trying to blackmail him and that he had phones the guards and that he wouldn't do business with someone who had that kind of attitude , I told him he was engaging in projection and that making me out to be the bad guy was a form of psychological stroke pulling

anyway , while you cannot do much about the reaction of some people to events , I can do something about my health and that of other people , I had a tetnus in the past five years and I bathed my hand with savlon within an hour of leaving the couples house but I do wonder if I should report the incident to the local dog warden , surely people have to be in control of their dog if presenting pups to the viewing public , im not usually one for running to the authorities but the reaction of this guy was particulary offensive , I feel he squandered any chance of good will being exercised

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Avoid, avoid, avoid. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from these people. Were the pups with the mother when you were bitten? It sounds like you might've got too close and Mum was just being Mum and protecting her babies. The guy sounds like an ***hole, anyway. I'd also get the bite properly looked at by the doctor. I guess you could send the bill to the seller, but doubt they'll pay.

Apart from that, I'm not too sure what else you can do. The dog warden will do nothing as from what you say, the condition for the bitch and pups are adequate.

What breed are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I'd imagine she felt threatened because you were around the offspring, and a stranger.

I think the mans attitude is a separate matter.

If it was me I'd just let it go.

There'll be other dogs from better and more reputable breeders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spot_light

bytheglass wrote: »
    I'd imagine she felt threatened because you were around the offspring, and a stranger.

I think the mans attitude is a separate matter.

If it was me I'd just let it go.

There'll be other dogs from better and more reputable breeders.

oh the guy already ruled out doing business with me , that's not where im conflicted , im wondering if I should report the incident to the dog warden as the couple will most likely have other potential buyers around

the mother was not close to the pups when she bit me , she was not even with them when I arrived at the house , the lady showed her to me and when I went to pat her on the head she bit me , blood was tiny but my hand is still sore and slightly swelled , was too late to see a GP and I didn't fancy queing in ER for six hours , ive had worse cuts in the past and as I have had a tetnus in the past five years , the GP saw no reason to send me to hospital

ps , I also reported the incident to my local garda station , the seargant on duty was bemused at such a nothing story but seeing as the male seller engaged in such disproportionate action , I thought it best to let AGS hear my side , they said the guy probabley made up the story about reporting me to the guards , not as if he had a good defense , his dog had bitten someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I definitely would not buy a pup from that bitch - fearfulness and fear aggression are in part genetically inherited.

I'd say leave it go, OP. I don't think there is anything a warden or guard can do.

FWIW, it's not a good idea not to pat any dog on the head as a greeting. All dogs find that threatening from people they don't know and anyways dogs enjoy it just about as much as we would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

spot_light wrote: »
    I had a tetnus in the past five years and I bathed my hand with savlon within an hour of leaving the couples house but I do wonder if I should report the incident to the local dog warden

We cannot offer medical advice on Boards, so if you are unsure of your Tetanus status please see your GP.
    wrote:
    surely people have to be in control of their dog if presenting pups to the viewing public , im not usually one for running to the authorities but the reaction of this guy was particulary offensive , I feel he squandered any chance of good will being exercised

OP, your post has a WHOLE HOST of questions that need to be addressed, but your post is confusing at best. If you would like to PM any of the Mods here, we will happily make your thread more understandable.

Cheers,
    anniehoo

Thread is closed pending further "enlightening" by the OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement