Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off road biking

• 12-05-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all
    I bought my first bike last week. It's a 125 Suzuki dirt bike.
    I have been riding it around the forestry close to where I live. Never meet walkers up there always alone.

However I am concerned that I might get into trouble for it? Is it illegal to ride through coillte forests? Don't want to get on the wrong side of the law?

Where do people with dirt bikes go for recreational riding? Am not interested in racing to be honest?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I can't recommened locations, but if you use the bike in areas to which the public have access, these are considered to be public spaces and insurance is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There is roads you can use up in the mountains. Some of the forest roads have no gates on them. The irish section on ukgser is a good place to ask
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
    Recommend that you get a good pair of motorcross boots and go with a mate. It's not that hard to come off awkwardly and do some damage to yourself.

(I know that sounds sad after watching or reading Oisins ride report!)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

Cienciano wrote: »
    There is roads you can use up in the mountains. Some of the forest roads have no gates on them. The irish section on ukgser is a good place to ask
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
    Recommend that you get a good pair of motorcross boots and go with a mate. It's not that hard to come off awkwardly and do some damage to yourself.

(I know that sounds sad after watching or reading Oisins ride report!)

Thanks for that! I will check out of ukgser! I have bought myself a good set of boots and a proper fitting helmet! It's more of a cruise around the hills of south Kilkenny at the moment am not comfortable going at any real speed and have no feeling for the front end grip etc..

They regularly go on off road trips, so they'll know some roads. On a 125 you'll want something local, hopefully they can help.
    Here's a picture thread of a rideout:
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1049436#post1049436

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Hi all
    I bought my first bike last week. It's a 125 Suzuki dirt bike.
    I have been riding it around the forestry close to where I live. Never meet walkers up there always alone.

However I am concerned that I might get into trouble for it? Is it illegal to ride through coillte forests? Don't want to get on the wrong side of the law?

Where do people with dirt bikes go for recreational riding? Am not interested in racing to be honest?

Any advice appreciated.

is it road legal? taxed and insured?

• Advertisement

No it's not road legal so I trailer it where ever I go!
    It's a dirt bike essentially.

then as above, if your on anything but private land then you will run into a whole heap of trouble if you have an accident or run into a walker.

If you hit a walker, just keep driving :pac: *

*don't

There are no walkers up there not where I go so not worried about that! Just wouldnt like to meet the law when I go back to the trailer after being through I suppose coillte woodland

if they catch you, you will lose the bike. they may make an example of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Do you live near any bogs? Myself and a few friends used to have dirt bikes and we would often take them to bogs that were nearby. As long as we stayed away from people that were there footing turf nobody seemed to mind. Bog is also like a big sponge and doesn't hurt much when you come off, which is definitely a plus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

serious3 wrote: »
    if they catch you, you will lose the bike. they may make an example of you.
    How can they take the bike? They aren't the law.
    No-one can take your bike from you except the police and customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CJhaughey wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he meant the Gardai

sean61 wrote: »
    Do you live near any bogs? Myself and a few friends used to have dirt bikes and we would often take them to bogs that were nearby. As long as we stayed away from people that were there footing turf nobody seemed to mind. Bog is also like a big sponge and doesn't hurt much when you come off, which is definitely a plus!

Afraid not! No bogs in south Kilkenny Waterford city area!! Am from Offaly originally!!! Couldn't look sideways up there without seeing a bog!!

It's beaches and woodland here

CJhaughey wrote: »

having dealt with coilte numerous times over the last few years while leasing various forests around the country for offroading, all the foresters are well aware of illegal quads, motox and buggies using forests. they will call gardai and prosecute to the full of the law. they have cameras at certain forest entrances as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Some mountains are SAC's - Special Areas of Conservation too. Definitely no biking on these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

New junior senior motocross track and 5 kilomettre enduro track opening up at waterford airport on the 25 of this month.
    Look it up on facebook airport motox & quads

Advertisement