Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best way to start working :(

Options
  • 13-05-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

I'd really like to get working and after seeing a few mates get jobs I really just wanna get out there and start earning my own money. Ithink my age (21) and inexperiece goes against me:rolleyes: Can I just ask what you folks could reccomend to me? I'v been through jobs.ie and the fas website but they all want people who are experience and that's just somthing I aint got :o The only experience I have is working part time in a pet shop and that was when I was attending secondary school:rolleyes:..

So far i'v handed my cv out to chippers, shops, cinema, clothes shops ect.. and my cv is fairly good as I attended a fas course a few months ago and they done me out a very good cv.

I'd prefer a driving job but to be honest I'm not that picky anymore lol..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

love to be your age knowing what i know now, i know you would like to be earning, have some cash to spend,but i would look into training maybe IT , start training for a career, not just a job. I didn't do this ,not trained in anything, hard to find work now. Driving jobs are hard to come by, only owner drivers ,need to buy van and have to buy the route, big outlay, i wouldn't go down that run the way things are.
    good luck anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 071_Foamer

What are your qualifications? Then we'll be in a better position to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    love to be your age knowing what i know now, i know you would like to be earning, have some cash to spend,but i would look into training maybe IT , start training for a career, not just a job. I didn't do this ,not trained in anything, hard to find work now. Driving jobs are hard to come by, only owner drivers ,need to buy van and have to buy the route, big outlay, i wouldn't go down that run the way things are.
    good luck anyway.

I'v been looking around a lot lately but finding a job seems to be impossible, I went through jobs.ie and there was hardly any jobs I could do. I might just bite the bullet and go back to colllege, I really don't want to but I think it's my only option:o

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Sccop64 is right, driving is tough to find work in. A friend of mine has been looking for a year now, has all sorts of certs and full truck licences and still no luck. Why do you not want to go back to college?

Marsden wrote: »
    Sccop64 is right, driving is tough to find work in. A friend of mine has been looking for a year now, has all sorts of certs and full truck licences and still no luck. Why do you not want to go back to college?

Mainly because I hated school from a young age and it just doesnt suit me, Having to go back to school would be my idea of a nightmare,The only reason I finished secondary school was because my class was generally full of sound lads but even at that I did the bare minimum:o The other thing aswell is that going to college doesnt do anything for my financial problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Not meaning to sound arsey but have a think about what you really want to do, and find out the available routes to getting there. If you are aiming towards a particular job or career, a college course won't feel like school. The wrong college course will, obviously, but really it's a matter of taking the plunge.
    Also re applying for jobs make sure you're tailoring your letter of app for each individual job you apply for, outline in the letter why you feel you would be suited to the role (not why you want the job, but why they should consider you in particular), identikit CVs and letters just get binned, so make it stand out with an excellent format, and if you don't have a lot of work experience then focus on your hobbies and interests, achievements (even ones from school) etc, even if none of it is relevant to the role it shows attention to detail and individualism, both of which are positives in the eyes of most recruiters/potential employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

carzony wrote: »
    Mainly because I hated school from a young age and it just doesnt suit me, Having to go back to school would be my idea of a nightmare,The only reason I finished secondary school was because my class was generally full of sound lads but even at that I did the bare minimum:o The other thing aswell is that going to college doesnt do anything for my financial problems.
    I did the same meself, made it as far as the junior cert. I'm finished my first year of college now, and I have to say it's the best thing I've ever done. I wish I had of done it ten years ago. Loads of people going through college have a crappy financial situation, meself included, but it's just a case of grinning and baring it. If your dead set against it look into a course or some type of training that's right for you. Find out how the industry is and what future prospects will be like. I personally think FAS are useless and the fact that they're sending tons of people to the same type of courses will mean your CV won't stand out.

There's probably no quick solution for finding a good job that can give you a decent salary, job security and good prospects. Try to think long term whatever you do, you don't want to find a job that won't add much to your CV and leave you back in the same position in a few years. Good luck and let us know if you've any joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

carzony wrote: »

From reading your posts alone I can see that you are smart and eager to work, but I do think you are a little bit close-minded to think that college will be the same as college, I promise it is very different! And in these times, it is very hard to get a career going without some sort of qualification. But you are lucky as there are lots of schemes out there to help young people like yourself get the training they need.

In an ideal world, what would you like to work at? Even if it is something as crazy as be a professional footballer, there are ways you can achieve part of your goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You are 21 now and you have just decided you would like a job and make some money because a few mates have got jobs. I am really curious, what were you doing since you left school?

I am not being a d1ck head, I am genuinely curious?

Marsden wrote: »
    I did the same meself, made it as far as the junior cert. I'm finished my first year of college now, and I have to say it's the best thing I've ever done. I wish I had of done it ten years ago. Loads of people going through college have a crappy financial situation, meself included, but it's just a case of grinning and baring it. I personally think FAS are useless and the fact that they're sending tons of people to the same type of courses will mean your CV won't stand out.
    Well even 6 months ago the thought of going to college sent a shiver down my spine but I have been given some guideance by an advisor in Obair and I am really thinking about applying for college, I obviousally wanted a handy job but I don't think there is such a thing these days.

Lux23 wrote: »
    From reading your posts alone I can see that you are smart and eager to work, but I do think you are a little bit close-minded to think that college will be the same as college, I promise it is very different! And in these times, it is very hard to get a career going without some sort of qualification. But you are lucky as there are lots of schemes out there to help young people like yourself get the training they need.

Thanks for your reply mate:D I agree, I can/am close-minded which I suppose doesnt help me atall:(

murphym7 wrote: »
    You are 21 now and you have just decided you would like a job and make some money because a few mates have got jobs. I am really curious, what were you doing since you left school?

I am not being a d1ck head, I am genuinely curious?

Well while I was attending school I was working part-time in a pet store and was promised a full time position but just before I was due to leave school, the place just wasnt busy and I was eventually let go.

Since then I have worked a few months for a delivery company, Attended lots of fas courses like ECDL 2007 and 2005, Jobs initiative course, a technology course, I have also gotten my full B license and taken frequent advice from Obair and fas advisors, plus as I have said I have handed out my cv and applied for a good few jobs online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So what would you like to do?

Advertisement