Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in another eu country

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ok guys, this may have been answered before and have tried googling around. But am getting pretty confused as to what's actually true.
    Going to head local tourist office today to ask. But might as well post here and see if anyone can give me a quick run down.

I thought, as i am irish, living and working within the eu was restriction free.
    Moved to malta 2 weeks ago and want to stay for a few months to work.
    As far as I knew it was as simple as just not booking a return flight.

But some UK people here have said that when living in germany last year, they had to basically highlight to the german government that they were staying beyond 90days?

Googling around pops up the word Schengen visa quite a lot. But getting really confused as to what rules apply to which citizens.

So can anyone give me the story on staying for a few summer months in Malta? Do i need to fill a form out somewhere to flag that i'm here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Here is a good website with some info http://www.howtomalta.com/search/label/How%20to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Ok guys, this may have been answered before and have tried googling around. But am getting pretty confused as to what's actually true.
    Going to head local tourist office today to ask. But might as well post here and see if anyone can give me a quick run down.

I thought, as i am irish, living and working within the eu was restriction free.
    Moved to malta 2 weeks ago and want to stay for a few months to work.
    As far as I knew it was as simple as just not booking a return flight.

But some UK people here have said that when living in germany last year, they had to basically highlight to the german government that they were staying beyond 90days?

Googling around pops up the word Schengen visa quite a lot. But getting really confused as to what rules apply to which citizens.

So can anyone give me the story on staying for a few summer months in Malta? Do i need to fill a form out somewhere to flag that i'm here?

You DO NOT need a visa to travel/live/work anywhere in EU if you are an Irish citizen. EU treaty rights of free movement says so. You may need to register yourself as resident after 3 months in certain countries and sign up for whatever the PPS number equivalent is so you can work and pay taxes but you do not need a visa nor do you need to obtain prior permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ColBackAgain

RADIUS wrote: »
    You DO NOT need a visa to travel/live/work anywhere in EU if you are an Irish citizen. EU treaty rights of free movement says so. You may need to register yourself as resident after 3 months in certain countries and sign up for whatever the PPS number equivalent is so you can work and pay taxes but you do not need a visa nor do you need to obtain prior permission.

Yeah i get that. But i think beyond a 90 day stay is considered residency and tou need to declare your intent to live.

Eg. In malta we can get a resident card that gets us cheaper bus fair etc. but i think thats only available after 3 months. (Ie. after declairing residency)

I know im not in any immediate trouble. As the EU has free travel laws. But i just wanted to get everything boxed off early, so i dont forget basically.

Found out the irish embassy is down the street from where im staying. So might drop down and see if i can chag to someone if the tourist info office doesnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yeah i get that. But i think beyond a 90 day stay is considered residency and tou need to declare your intent to live.

Eg. In malta we can get a resident card that gets us cheaper bus fair etc. but i think thats only available after 3 months. (Ie. after declairing residency)

I know im not in any immediate trouble. As the EU has free travel laws. But i just wanted to get everything boxed off early, so i dont forget basically.

Found out the irish embassy is down the street from where im staying. So might drop down and see if i can chag to someone if the tourist info office doesnt help.

Your not in any trouble.
    You probably just need to register with the City Hall, no requirement to do it but if your staying long term probably better to do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RADIUS wrote: »

As an EU citizen you are entitled to travel to any other EU country to seek work for a period of up to 90 days. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining employment then you need to obtain permission to remain beyond the first 90 days according to what every the procedures are in that state. Permission may be refused in you are unable to show that you have the economic means to support yourself and that you will not become an economic burden on the state. It is not an absolute right.

• Advertisement

Here is the info from EURES:
    Registration procedures

All EU nationals have the right to live in Malta through the ‘right of residence’. This right is held whether the individual is working in Malta or not working but has sufficient financial support without relying on public funds. EU nationals do not require a visa to enter Malta. On arrival in Malta, the passport or the national identity card is checked for validity by the Immigration Office.

The residence permit

The Immigration Act (Chapter 217 of the Laws of Malta) is the legal instrument which regulates the inward movement of foreigners into the Island.

Malta hosts a number of expatriate residents. Nationals from practically all European and Mediterranean countries may remain in Malta for a period of three months from their date of entry under the 'no employment' condition. The permit is endorsed on their passport upon arrival in Malta.

EU nationals will automatically be allowed to remain indefinitely on proof of self sufficiency. If a person wishes to stay here for longer than three months, he or she is required to apply for an extension of stay to the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. Normally, such requests are acceded to provided that the person concerned can show that he or she is self sufficient (amongst other conditions). Foreign nationals would have to follow this procedure each time they wish to extend the permission if they wish to continue to reside in Malta.

And here is the link from the Ministry of Home Affairs on residency. It would appear that from J or A is what you are after, depending if you find work or not within the first 90 days. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Jim2007 wrote: »
    As an EU citizen you are entitled to travel to any other EU country to seek work for a period of up to 90 days. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining employment then you need to obtain permission to remain beyond the first 90 days according to what every the procedures are in that state. Permission may be refused in you are unable to show that you have the economic means to support yourself and that you will not become an economic burden on the state. It is not an absolute right.

It is as long as you are exercising your treaty rights. Working, self sufficient or jobseeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Permission may be refused in you are unable to show that you have the economic means to support yourself and that you will not become an economic burden on the state. It is not an absolute right.

That doesnt sound very fair. A "ship-you-back-to-where-you-came-from" clause would mean 2 classes of EU citizen (resident vs visitor) wouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

InTheTrees wrote: »
    That doesnt sound very fair. A "ship-you-back-to-where-you-came-from" clause would mean 2 classes of EU citizen (resident vs visitor) wouldnt it?

Why is that not fair, why should a country that you have never contributed to start giving you support?

jester77 wrote: »
    Why is that not fair, why should a country that you have never contributed to start giving you support?

Because everyone is a citizen of the EU?

But I can see how that would create problems.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Because everyone is a citizen of the EU?

Go read the EU directive, it is very clear: If you are in the workforce you are entitled to seek work in another EU state and if successful take up employment there. After period of 5 years employment (not sure on the period) you are entitled to become a permanent resident there. Similarly you are entitled to retire to another EU state, provided you can show that you have the economic means to do so. But that is it - you can't move to become a burden on another state, if however you have been granted permanent residence then you are entitled to remain regardless of your economic situation. Another exception is where you are made unemployed within the first 5 years and you are entitled to benefits in that state, you can remain until you entitlement runs out - if after that you fail to find new employment you must leave.

Go read the EU directive, it is very clear:

I'll take your word for it, and its interesting, thanks.

I emigrated to the US Federal system before there was an "EU" so I'm still learning. I still think of the EEC...

Advertisement