Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Access - Lost

• 13-05-2013 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I've hit the RESET button on the back of my Modem instead of the OFF switch yesterday and my access to Internet at home is gone.
    Can anyone advise how to restore it.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You were connecting with wifi to the router?
    When you reset you removed the connection between the computer and the modem/router.
    What you need to do is to connect to the modem/router with a data cable and then open a browser and go to this address 192.168.1.1 (most common router address).
    Once you can see the router setup page you can create a new wifi password and then connect again from the computer over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Hi
    Actually its the Wifi connection thats gone.
    I can get into Internet on my PC - but not on my Laptop, I dont know why
    Can you advise me Please ??

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

That's what he did advise you on. From your browser on your computer which still gives you internet access (because it has a wire going from it to the router), type in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, or if that doesn't work, try 192.168.0.1 or maybe 192.168.1.254

That is the IP address of your router, and brings you to the router's configuration page, where you will need to recreate your wifi settings, such as SSID name, password for connection to the network, and wifi security (encryption) type. Choose WPA/WPA2-PSK or similar.

The default username and password to log into the router configuration page is probably "admin" and "password" (without the quotes).

If you still can't get the IP address of the router configuration page, and it's not written on a sticker on the router somewhere (maybe underneath it) then open a command window by typing CMD into the start/search or start/run on your windows computer. Once in the command window, type IPCONFIG and look for the four groups of digits similar to the format above, after the term DEFAULT GATEWAY in the resultant list of connection properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your PC is connected to the modem with a cable yeah? But the laptop connects to the modem via wifi.
    As I said, you probably removed the wifi setup when you did the reset.

What to do is: go to this address on your PC - http://192.168.1.1
    You should see a page with the name of your router/modem somewhere.

Let me know if you can see that.
    Also I need to know the name of your modem/router. Is it Netgear, Linksys or similar?

edit, thanks pye

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Hi
    I got that thanks for your help, I'm back up n running again

Thank you
    Kind regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Great! Thanks for posting back.

Advertisement