Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Pattern interrupted - potty training?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

this is a bit long winded, but if anyone could advise I'd really appreciate it.

Our 2 1/2 year old daughter has always been a great sleeper, she was in her own room since 5 moths old, and always slept through the night. My wife is currently expecting our second child (due in 2 weeks).
    Our daughter is aware that a new baby is on the way (I dont know how much of an understanding she really has, but we havent kept it a secret from her). In preparation for the new arrival, we moved my daughter to her first proper bedroom about 4 months ago. She took to it like a duck to water and it didnt affect her sleep patterns at all.

However, we have been potty training for the last week, which is really going well, the only problem is, for the last 3 nights she has really kicked up a stink at bedtime, screaming her head off, wanting one of us to stay in the room with her. we've managed to get he settled the first two nights, but last night she woke again at 11 and was demanding to be taken out of her bed and to come over to our room.

Normally she would never sleep in with us, it something we've always discouraged, however last night there was no settling her so we relented.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, we'd really like to get her back on track before the new baby is born.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Just started potty training our daughter who is nearly 2 and half and have also run into difficulties with bedtime. Was also wondering if it was related to potty training - nice to know we're not the only ones!

We have an 8 month old and they share the same bedroom and usually sleep quite well in same room together. Like you bedtime problems started a few days into potty training. Just running around room, doesn't want to sleep, keeping the baby awake by talking/playing with her and throwing some things into the cot. We also have her demanding to be fed like a baby at some mealtimes (we started solids with baby about 2 months ago and no problems then!).

My theory is that the potty training is something out of their control and they are not used to it, so they try to control other things like food or bedtime etc. We've been sticking to our bedtime routine and trying to be strict - no not tucking you in again, we only do that x times etc and just let her cry it out for few minutes and go back in with same story. I think its important to try to stick to what's normal there. Hopefully it will all resolve itself when they get more used to the potty and it becomes normal.

My other theory is that her daytime nap needs to be shortened but wont be changing that unless I'm absolutely sure.

If your baby is due in a few weeks then I think you need to try to be as strict as you can with the bedtime routine and if she wakes up, to try to get her back on track before the baby comes. Easier said than done I know! If you're consistent she should get the message soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, I'm thinking that its very much an attention thing, shes very clued in, and when people meet my wife there is a lot of "not long now" talk, etc, etc. I think it might be making here insecure and clingy which is why she doesnt want to be left alone.

looks like we're just going to have to tough it out and see how things go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a 30 month old who isnt potty training but has been trying it on for 3 night when it comes to the bedtime routine. This has never been an issue, usually she loves to see her bedroom, she also shares with her 16 month old brother.

We tried potty training for 1 days a few weeks ago but she wasnt ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Update on last nights situation.

Her room has a cot bed type thing that shes slept in always, and also a single bed. Last night she demanded to sleep in the single bed, despite our initial worries, she slept through the night in it. (she did get up about an hour earlier, but tbh this isnt an issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Thats great! Looks like they just go through these phases. Our daughter slept well last night but have to admit am expecting tonight to be worse!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement