Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning Oil off a Matte Black Helmet

• 13-05-2013 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Howya boys and girls!
    So I did an oil change on the bike today and I got some oil on my helmet which was on the ground beside me (yeah I know), then when I tried to wipe the oil off, all I did was spread it around, and my matte black lid is now a shiny black lid. Any ideas as to getting the matte finish back, or have I b*****ed it up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Should clean off with fairy liquid on a cloth ,then warm soapy water...did you buy it matt or spray it..???...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

Should clean off with fairy liquid on a cloth ,then warm soapy water...did you buy it matt or spray it..???...

Bought it. :) Thanks! Will try that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

That worked perfectly! Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

BTW...dont EVER use white spirits or any solvent cleaner on matt...it'll turn it grey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

BTW...dont EVER use white spirits or any solvent cleaner on matt...it'll turn it grey...

Could also damage the casing on the lid of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Could also damage the casing on the lid of course!

How? Then rain would damage it as well? Lol

It could cause only cosmetic damage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Fairly sure white spirits would be a little more acidic than rain water ? Would probably lead to some sort of unseen degradation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

White spirits or other such solvents attack the chemical make up of the plastic shell and weakens it. Rain wouldn't do the same thing but environmental pollution and even UV rays do eventually cause lids to weaken...that's why you are recommended to change them every five years (depends on brand but I'm sure it is 5 years for Shoei and Shark at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Exactly as above, solvents, and some adhesives (which is why you're recommended not to put stickers on helmets) can weaken the plastic casing on the helmets, compromising their safety.

Advertisement