Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen bins

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I changed from Oxegen to AES a couple of weeks back....I paid a years subscription for Oxegen from May 12 to April 13 and intended to look around for deals (as I always do) a couple of weeks before my subscription ended. So for this year, I decided to go with AES, set everything up and then called Oxegen in the last week of April to say that I won't be continuing with them. I did this out of courtesy and the fact that the texted me saying that I owe them 270 (for a new year's worth of service)

Anyway, when I called I was told that I needed to give a month's notice as it was in the T&C and that I was liable to a months pay (approx €23 or so). I never signed anything, setup a direct debit with them or anything like that. I paid for a years service, got it and now am moving on. Seriously, who reads through these terms and conditions...

Am I completely in the wrong in arguing this as it is in the T&C?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

have you ever been provided with the T&Cs of the product? Even verbally?

I would think you have a reasonable case to tell them to go and shove it. You signed up for 12months(evidenced by virtue of fact you paid 12mths upfront) ...not an ongoing product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

If it's in the T's and C's, you have to pay. 1 month is standard for cancelling a service.

There's a chance you agreed to them over the phone when making an account with them. If you're unsure, call them and ask them for a copy of your signature and/or voice recording of you agreeing to the terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Called Oxegen and spoke to the woman who sent the letter out. Basically her only fall back was “its in the T&C” – I gave out to her about lots of things…the cancellation charge, the reference to the external legal advisor in the letter, no call back from my original call to them, the bad weather, liverpool’s inconsistent form this season, everything…but no luck in getting out of the charge.

I said we are gone as customers, will be sure to tell all our neighbours about this sneaky charge (as I see it) and will be sending them their cancellation charge as a bag of pennies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, a month's notice is standard to quit most services. It does feel sucky, but I don't think there's anything for you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

most contracts last for 12 months and then go on a rolling basis after (broadband mobile etc) Is there anyway AES will delay theis a month? Failing that try and get your moneys worth from oxigen for the final month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair, a month's notice is standard to quit most services. It does feel sucky, but I don't think there's anything for you here.

While this is true, most bin companies go on 12 month contracts with annual renewals (at least out my way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

daheff wrote: »
    While this is true, most bin companies go on 12 month contracts with annual renewals (at least out my way)

T&C of Greyhound and Oxygen both stipulate 30 days notice. It's quite standard.

Edit . I see Panda do as well.

Advertisement