Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Primary Care Centre

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Planning permission has been granted for this.

I know it is a much needed and wanted facility in Balbriggan but it looks like it is going to be a big eye sore on Dublin Street.

http://rhonellen.com/index.php/balbriggan-primary-care-centre/

Balbriggan-PCC-620x326.png

Another artist impression
    primarycare.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It will only blend in with the other eyesores.
    I wonder how much/how long disruption to traffic we are looking at it. Although I fully agree it will eventually be a great asset to the town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Who in the name of f**k designs these WAREHOUSES?

seriously, its very perestroika, as if the town wasn't dull enough as it is. Doesnt surprise me that its gotten planning permission, usual crap from the county planners office. no consideration for how it will look. Why wasnt it placed into the industrial estate where it would be better suited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Where would you apply for jobs for this development?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

PlainP wrote: »
    Where would you apply for jobs for this development?

The developers are the Rhonellen Developments, which I have linked in my OP. You could contact them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I assume parking will be in the Church car park? While at the moment, that is ample and there are usually loads of spots after all the commuters park in the morning, I wonder will it be enough to accommodate peak times at the primary care facility?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

sgarvan wrote: »
    Planning permission has been granted for this.

I know it is a much needed and wanted facility in Balbriggan but it looks like it is going to be a big eye sore on Dublin Street.

http://rhonellen.com/index.php/balbriggan-primary-care-centre/

Balbriggan-PCC-620x326.png

Another artist impression
    primarycare.jpg

The first one is the one which got planning and afaik was designed with a lot of input from Fingalcoco!

The second pic was the original proposal which Fingal rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Is this going to be across from Spar on Dublin Street?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dubmick wrote: »
    Is this going to be across from Spar on Dublin Street?

It's where the Vet is at the moment and the temporary car par behind as well as sme of the vacant houses I think.
    Right opposite the Spar (first Spar as my youngest calls it !)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This will be great for Balbriggan.

The location is what I would question. There are morning when Dublin St is a right mess with traffic so where will all this extra traffic go? What if there is a funeral? where will the cars all park? Staff parking?

IIRC I saw the one in Ringsend and it was a very unusual design as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Looks like FCC have taken the beach shelter protest to heart, [snivellingfccadminmanager] " if they like them so much we will build a big one on the mainstreet" [/snivelingfccadminmanager]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

[Mod note]

Please refrain from making any statements that are potentially libelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Im just delighted that at last its happening.
    Eye sore, or what ever, its here and can only Help people.
    Parking, well, they can use my front Garden , as long as its HERE,
    it is such a track to swords, or lusk for the 30 mins speech therapy, or what ever service it is that you need.
    Hop they have proper service, Id love better Psy for adults , but that's just part of a list.
    Anyone know what's going in there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Typical one team is 1 physio 1 publisc health nurse social worker and OT , access to speech and language diatitian and phys. Then GP's are there also but even if GP not based there they can refer you to centre.

Should not be built where its planned to go. Whether we need it or not shouldnt allow fingal CC to throw something like this up where it is. it shows a lack of forward planning and a total disregard for traffic congestion. will they throw ANOTHER set of lights up not 20 yards from the existing set at the jn to market green? disgraceful.

What reasoning is there that the side of the building is like a giant warehouse? I have to laugh at the comments on balbriggans chamber of commerce about how its breathing life into the heart of balbriggan???

The second image - the rejected one - was far nicer and brighter looking.

Morpheus wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the comments on balbriggans chamber of commerce about how its breathing life into the heart of balbriggan???
    all full of hot air and their own self importance that lot. They are self-proclaimed 'business men & women' and yet I would argue that few of them have any claim to sit on a chamber of commerce as they seem to be oblivious to some of the most basic facets and principles of business. More of a 'old boys' club that chamber, than anything of use or purpose to the town.

totally agree with you about the traffic and pedestrian crossings. Bearing in mind that many of the people attending the clinic will be infirm, disabled or just unable due to illness, getting them to walk from the church in the first place and then not having a pedestrian crossing right out front is very silly indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Little Ted wrote: »
    and then not having a pedestrian crossing right out front is very silly indeed.

There is a pedestrian crossing outside the church car park if that is where people will be parking they can use that.

But if you are not very mobile, having to park in the church car park, (and it remains to be seen if people will be able to get car parking near the exit/entrance) then cross at the church, then cross over where the cottages are, it's not ideal. It's not just about traffic, for some elderly folk getting up and down a kerb is tricky enough. I know my dad wouldn't be able to do that at 78. I would have to pull up right outside. And as there are no pedestrian crossings right outside, I would have to ensure that I get a spot to pull in on the same side as the building. Then, I would have to risk the traffic warden to help him inside, then zip back to the car, and then walk back myself.

It really should be in an area, set back from the road which would at least allow for a 'set down area' so that people can drop off elderly relatives, see them inside and then park. It is a health centre afterall, so how come Fingal or the HSE don't consider such things?

I think there is parking in the plans... my issue is quite simply a primary care centre placed DIRECTLY onto the towns main thoroughfare smacks of idiocy. Its adjacent to one of the towns busiest junctions and totally not in keeping with the skyline already in existence along there. Its a WAREHOUSE. it belongs in the industrial estate, low volume of traffic and ample parking.

I'd disagree with Morpheus re the site. I think the more that is sited on the main street the better. It's the main thouroughfare and focal point of the town. Has the best links to public transport and is close to parking. I personally feel an industrial estate is the absolute wrong place for sick people to be sent!

That said agree with you re the design, it's awful....

• Advertisement
Advertisement