Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a wire :)

Options
  • 13-05-2013 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry for maybe silly question, but i'm not sure where can I get at least 20m of 1mm wire in Dublin or online? I would like to use it as wire antenna.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

ebay.

I use a roll of insulated car electical wire along with a 4:1 balun for a long wire which works a treat on 17m.

worked pretty much all of Europe yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

ebay.

I use a roll of insulated car electical wire along with a 4:1 balun for a long wire which works a treat on 17m.

worked pretty much all of Europe yesterday

acutally i was hoping to get such cable in person in some dyi store, but i'm not that familiar with those stores :)

anyways don't know why i didn't took ebay into consideration :)
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

B&Q's have some sort of selection for cables

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

B&Q very expensive for cable. Maybe 5m is cost of a reel!
    Buy a reel of twin bell wire from any electrical wholesale and short the wires at both ends, or at a minimum the Radio end.

Even metal cored €3 Tesco washing line can work.

Any kind of wire really, and insulation just stops it corroding.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Is there any requirement as to the minimum thickness of wire when used for a transmitting HF antenna? I wouldn't be talking about using an amp, just something that would be suitable for 100W straight from a typical HF radio. Would like to use something as discreet as possible. For example, could the twin bell wire mentioned above be separated to make thinner legs for a dipole? How thin can you go before performance becomes an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Paulo check this and / or this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

As far as I remember I've seen Cobwebb Plans using bell wire......

Advertisement