Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage without exs knowledge?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

My sister and her ex bought a house a few years ago with no mortgage, the house is in both names. They split up badly 3 yrs ago and have had no contact since, although there is a teenage child involved. Can my sister get a loan or mortgage without his consent as a few things now need doing to the house or does she need his permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Do you mean take out a mortgage on the existing house that is in joint names? If so then no she can't mortgage a house that he still part owns.

She could of course get a personal loan or similar and use the money for renovations, but to be honest she would want to take some legal advice maybe on the wisdom of putting extra money into a house jointly owned if they have not come to some agreement on what happens the money each put into the house day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Yes that is what she was wondering thanks.

The advice about her getting legal advice is certainly a good idea. I think she just feels as she has to live there it'll be money well spent.

Advertisement