If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 A/V + speakers + accessories

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Guys, I'm back again for more nice goodies.

This time it is a wedding present for my good friends.

I want to get a 5.1 system to match their nice tv (Samsung 59” D550 afaik) 

I have between €800-1000 to spend but for this I will need a/v receiver, speakers, stands for the satellites, interconnecting cable ~30m + sublink, a hdmi 1.4 cable and delivery!

Phew.

The only feature that I think is required is at least 3D pass-through for the receiver.

I was looking at these in another thread:
    Yamaha RXV 673:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v673

Monitor Audio Vector 5.1:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-vector-av10 

Since I know those vectors sound good (part of the last setup I got from you guys!) They would seem like a reasonable go-to.

Any recommendations/deals welcome!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Chuckk wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm back again for more nice goodies.

This time it is a wedding present for my good friends.

I want to get a 5.1 system to match their nice tv (Samsung 59” D550 afaik) 

I have between €800-1000 to spend but for this I will need a/v receiver, speakers, stands for the satellites, interconnecting cable ~30m + sublink, a hdmi 1.4 cable and delivery!

Phew.

The only feature that I think is required is at least 3D pass-through for the receiver.

I was looking at these in another thread:
    Yamaha RXV 673:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v673

Monitor Audio Vector 5.1:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-vector-av10 

Since I know those vectors sound good (part of the last setup I got from you guys!) They would seem like a reasonable go-to.

Any recommendations/deals welcome!
    What a nice system that would be (and what damn lucky friends!)

OK how about this:

Yamaha RXV673 ( Still be best sub £500 AVR around)
    Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 - 5.1 Speakers
    Pixel T80 Speaker stands * 2 Pairs 
    Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 speaker cable * 35 Mtrs
    Philips SWA3523 3 Mtrs 75Ohm Sub cable
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

Our normal discounted retails should be about €965 - how about a Boardie deal at €849.99 or including a 5 year warranty at €899.99?

All in stock & ready to ship,

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chuckk

What a nice system that would be (and what damn lucky friends!)

OK how about this:

Yamaha RXV673 ( Still be best sub £500 AVR around)
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

Our normal discounted retails should be about €965 - how about a Boardie deal at €849.99 or including a 5 year warranty at €899.99?

All in stock & ready to ship,

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    That's a great deal! Ok, so basically I have to try and sneakily measure their tv unit so I can make sure that the receiver will fit. 

Other than that I be happy to go with the boardie deal and more than likely with the extra warranty.

I will get back to you as soon as I know

Cheers!

Chuckk

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

That's a great deal! Ok, so basically I have to try and sneakily measure their tv unit so I can make sure that the receiver will fit. 

Other than that I be happy to go with the boardie deal and more than likely with the extra warranty.

I will get back to you as soon as I know

Cheers!

Chuckk
    Hey Chuckk.

No worries at all.

Just give us a shout when your ready.

Slight problem! I was able to measure their shelf space last night. Only 14cm available for the height which would rule out the RXV673 for now...

Are there many a/v receivers that will fit into this height?

L_nr1504_n_b_34.png
    Marantz NR1504
    Slight problem! I was able to measure their shelf space last night. Only 14cm available for the height which would rule out the RXV673 for now...

Are there many a/v receivers that will fit into this height?
    Ah.... now that's a spanner in the works!

you are really restricted if they only have 14Cms to play with - however thankfully at least ONE manufacturer (there are 2 actually :) ) has foreseen this issue:

Marantz offer the excellent new NR1504 VA receiver at £399.95 which to be fair is a full featured and excellent quality AVR - have a look at the specs here: http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?Catid=NetworkProducts&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=NR1504

As with most Marantz Kit this really is a superb piece of kit and sounds amazing - Marantz normally eschew features for quality but this unit is still pretty well featured and retains the Airplay and all the important features - it does shed the Zone 2 outputs and its a 5.1 as opposed to a 7.1 - but generally this is all that most Customers require.

Pioneer also make an alternative ( and I have some of these available from stock that I'm keen to shift) - the model number is VSX-S500 and its a little beast of a unit - have a look at the specs here: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/VSX-S500/print.html - I can do you a cracking price on the VSX - S500 in your system if you are interested and of course its only 85Cms high?

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Marantz NR1504

Ah.... now that's a spanner in the works!

you are really restricted if they only have 14Cms to play with - however thankfully at least ONE manufacturer (there are 2 actually  ) has foreseen this issue:

Marantz offer the excellent new NR1504 VA receiver at £399.95 which to be fair is a full featured and excellent quality AVR - have a look at the specs here: http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?Catid=NetworkProducts&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=NR1504

As with most Marantz Kit this really is a superb piece of kit and sounds amazing - Marantz normally eschew features for quality but this unit is still pretty well featured and retains the Airplay and all the important features - it does shed the Zone 2 outputs and its a 5.1 as opposed to a 7.1 - but generally this is all that most Customers require.

Pioneer also make an alternative ( and I have some of these available from stock that I'm keen to shift) - the model number is VSX-S500 and its a little beast of a unit - have a look at the specs here: http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/VSX-S500/print.html - I can do you a cracking price on the VSX - S500 in your system if you are interested and of course its only 85Cms high?

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

Great to know there are some options still. Based on the brief reading I got to do today on each of them I am leaning towards the Marantz.

Could you do me up the total prices for the total systems with the Marantz and the Pioneer leaving each of the other components:

NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

To be a complete pain... are there any 5.1 speaker sets in and around the cost/quality of the vectors that might have a centre speaker to fit in the 14cm height space? It is worth checking at this stage but might be something that we can live with

Many thanks,

Chuck

Great to know there are some options still. Based on the brief reading I got to do today on each of them I am leaning towards the Marantz.

Could you do me up the total prices for the total systems with the Marantz and the Pioneer leaving each of the other components:

NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

To be a complete pain... are there any 5.1 speaker sets in and around the cost/quality of the vectors that might have a centre speaker to fit in the 14cm height space? It is worth checking at this stage but might be something that we can live with

Many thanks,

Chuck
    oh dear that's a pity the V20 Vector centre is 14.5 high!!!!!!

I'll work the pricing out for ya and revert asap,
    Jeez .5Cm!!!!
    Damn..

Back soon,

john mc

NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included
    With the Marantz NR1504 = €817.99 (including the 5 year I'll do it at €879.99)
    With the Pioneer VSX-S500 - I'll do it at €799.99 (and including the 5 year at €849.99)

If you wanted to an alternative 5.1 package - how about something a bit radical - like the Tannoy HTS201 package http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/hts201/tann-hts201-5.1 - this is a system including a pair of slim-line floor-standers ( which saves money on one pair of stands and looks better!) - as a system they are significantly more expensive but they work really well with the Pioneer Receivers - so the system would be like this:

Tannoy HTS201 - 5.1 speaker package
    Pioneer VSX - S500 AV Receiver
    Omni Elo Speaker stands * 1 Pair 
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

€1049.99

The HTS201 has a dedicated AV Centre which is under 11 CMS high so it will work well and again the HTS201 really does sound great with the Pioneer S500 - really great cinematic sound!

Hope we haven't confused you - give us a shout of you are interested or if we need a rethink!

Thanks again,

John Mc

With the Marantz NR1504 = €817.99 (including the 5 year I'll do it at €879.99)
    With the Pioneer VSX-S500 - I'll do it at €799.99 (and including the 5 year at €849.99)

If you wanted to an alternative 5.1 package - how about something a bit radical - like the Tannoy HTS201 package http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/hts201/tann-hts201-5.1 - this is a system including a pair of slim-line floor-standers ( which saves money on one pair of stands and looks better!) - as a system they are significantly more expensive but they work really well with the Pioneer Receivers - so the system would be like this:

Pioneer VSX - S500 AV Receiver
    Omni Elo Speaker stands * 1 Pair 
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI 
    Delivery Included

€1049.99

The HTS201 has a dedicated AV Centre which is under 11 CMS high so it will work well and again the HTS201 really does sound great with the Pioneer S500 - really great cinematic sound!

Hope we haven't confused you - give us a shout of you are interested or if we need a rethink!

Thanks again,

John Mc

Now you're talking! Very difficult to stay on budget around here but, in fact, the tannoy system would offer the most flexibility in terms of potential layouts. It's getting to the stage where the changes to the sound system will cost more than a change of tv stand! How and ever, I think the tannoy's fronts are nice and will probably have the same foot print as stand mounted speakers.

Is there a specific reason why you would pair this system with the Pioneer S500 over the Marantz? 

I like the idea of smartphone app support which the Marantz has but the Pioneer does not. Also, I like the ability to plug in an IR receiver for the remote control for the Marantz. 

Are there any gotchas with this that I am missing? Are the Tannoys a step up from the Vectors or is it just a compromise to get them to fit? And have you a price for the Tannoy system and accessories with the Marantz NR1504?

We are getting close! Thanks for all the help on this,

Chuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for the reply and I'm replying on John's behalf as he's on the road at the mo.

The Vector is a very good package although I think you may be stuck for space and on the speaker front. The vector is a very good allrounder for music and movies. Given that it originally sold for £649.95, it's a wee bargain too !

The Vector package has more impact than the Tannoy package but the Tannoy package offers more finesse and clarity and as far as a combination goes, I would match the Marantz receiver with the Vector as the Marantz will make the most of the impact of the Vector but I would put the Pioneer with the Tannoy as they gel much better together. The Pioneer thanks to the class D amplification brings out the best detail from the Tannoy speakers.

I can appreciate the logic behind the app control although I have a new Panasonic plasma and even though there is an app for it, I still use the remote ! Sometimes in this industry people go for features over performance and what sounds the best as a combination. I wouldn't let the extra features sway you unless they are absolutely essential.

Marantz NR1504 x 1
    Omni Elo Speaker stands * 1 Pair
    Subwoofer cable 1.5m / 5m
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI
    Delivery Included

€1069.99

Hope this helps in some way but keep us posted with any thoughts !

Cheers

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for the reply and I'm replying on John's behalf as he's on the road at the mo.

The Vector is a very good package although I think you may be stuck for space and on the speaker front. The vector is a very good allrounder for music and movies. Given that it originally sold for £649.95, it's a wee bargain too !

The Vector package has more impact than the Tannoy package but the Tannoy package offers more finesse and clarity and as far as a combination goes, I would match the Marantz receiver with the Vector as the Marantz will make the most of the impact of the Vector but I would put the Pioneer with the Tannoy as they gel much better together. The Pioneer thanks to the class D amplification brings out the best detail from the Tannoy speakers.

I can appreciate the logic behind the app control although I have a new Panasonic plasma and even though there is an app for it, I still use the remote ! Sometimes in this industry people go for features over performance and what sounds the best as a combination. I wouldn't let the extra features sway you unless they are absolutely essential.

Marantz NR1504 x 1
    Omni Elo Speaker stands * 1 Pair
    Subwoofer cable 1.5m / 5m
    NX2 2M 1.4 HDMI
    Delivery Included

€1069.99

Hope this helps in some way but keep us posted with any thoughts !

Cheers

Dave

Hi Guys,

I think I'm about ready to finalise this.

I think I will go with the Tannoy HTS201 and the Marantz NR1504 package. I feel that these two are going to allow the most flexible setup given the constraints of where the system will be placed. Hopefully there is not too big a compromise on the sound quality in making this choice. Better still, let's hope they don't, someday in the future, get to listen to it with the Pioneer and do a side by side comparison forcing me to rue my decision!

Drop me a PM and we can sort through the final details.

Cheers for all the help!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Guys,

I think I'm about ready to finalise this.

I think I will go with the Tannoy HTS201 and the Marantz NR1504 package. I feel that these two are going to allow the most flexible setup given the constraints of where the system will be placed. Hopefully there is not too big a compromise on the sound quality in making this choice. Better still, let's hope they don't, someday in the future, get to listen to it with the Pioneer and do a side by side comparison forcing me to rue my decision!

Drop me a PM and we can sort through the final details.

Cheers for all the help!
    Hi Chuckk.

PM sent.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.