Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Nokia ever break the MS deal?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's getting interesting again:
    "NOKIA HAS CONFIRMED that it will return to the mobile phone market, probably fuelled by Microsoft's announcement that it will cut nearly 8,000 jobs from its smartphone division.

Nokia has said that it will commence such work only when a binding agreement with Microsoft ends, and when a new relationship is made. However, the company noted that "it's complicated".

Robert Morlino, a spokesman for Nokia Technologies, said in a blog post: "It's not surprising that today the question comes up all the time: will Nokia return to mobile devices? The answer is: it's complicated.

"If and when we find a world-class partner who can take on those responsibilities, we would work closely with them to guide the design and technology differentiation, as we did with the Nokia N1 Android tablet."

More: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2414022/nokia-boss-yes-were-going-to-start-making-phones-again

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

PrzemoF wrote: »
    It's getting interesting again:
    "NOKIA HAS CONFIRMED that it will return to the mobile phone market, probably fuelled by Microsoft's announcement that it will cut nearly 8,000 jobs from its smartphone division.

That doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know ie. when the embargo on Nokia making phones lifts, they'll be able to make a phone in 2016 (at the earliest)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theothernt wrote: »
    That doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know ie. when the embargo on Nokia making phones lifts, they'll be able to make a phone in 2016 (at the earliest)

And even then, it's only going to be a phone created by someone else with a Nokia badge on it. While their post-microsoft tablet was good, it certainly didn't make any headway in the market, and I wouldn't expect any phones to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

CatInABox wrote: »
    And even then, it's only going to be a phone created by someone else with a Nokia badge on it. While their post-microsoft tablet was good, it certainly didn't make any headway in the market, and I wouldn't expect any phones to do the same.

Exactly. It's *very* important to understand that everything Nokia had to design, develop, advertise, deal with mobile operators, etc is gone. They're starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Haha maybe they'll rehire ask the staff MS sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

theothernt wrote: »
    Exactly. It's *very* important to understand that everything Nokia had to design, develop, advertise, deal with mobile operators, etc is gone. They're starting from scratch.

Is that really true (i.e. That everything is gone)? The reason I ask is the n1 had been very well received and surely this was after the Microsoft sale (I know manufacturing was done by Foxconn) although alot of the work may have been done pre sale.

I'm delighted to hear this and I'd love to see Nokia make a comeback but I think they have a long way to go to rebuild and I'm sceptical about it happening.

Hmmm maybe that could by jolla and incorporate that .... I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen but I might as well dream here as in bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Well if Commodore can come back from the fossilized dead and release a commodore smart phone then anything is possible
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

murphm45 wrote: »
    Is that really true (i.e. That everything is gone)?

I believe so, everything from the factory that made the phones, to the trucks and drivers that shipped them.

That said, I'm sure a name like Nokia could carry enough clout to get investors on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Scruff wrote: »
    Well if Commodore can come back from the fossilized dead and release a commodore smart phone then anything is possible
    :pac:
    Not to mention the new ZX Spectrum games console :)

Advertisement