Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using Garmin 405 for short interval repeats

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    this is not an issue with the garmin as such but how to set up the watch for short intervals, I'm starting the JD 5km-10km plan.

my R pace for 200m is 38 sec so that's 3:10km pace.
    i dont have access to a track so run on a flattish loop road.

i did the first session last weekend but could not keep my 200m constant.
    As it takes almost the entire distance before the watch actually "finds" the correct pace. So for instance i start to quicken on the 5 sec countdown, then the pace is constantly dropping, i find i'm either way too fast or too slow.
    i'm not used to short intervals so cannot guage the pace myself.
    is there a better way to set up the watch for short repeats.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Measure the route accurately on a stretch of road using landmarks (or sticking markers down), and then run it just focussing on the time taken to run each rep rather than pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

when you say measure it accurately, would i use the garmin?
    Yeah i had thought of doing the 200m over & back on the same stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How long does it take you to do the 200m? As you mentioned, it's 15-20 seconds before you can get a reliable average pace for the 200m, and that's on a straight stretch of road, with no satellite obstructions, so it's kind of tough. When I was doing the 200s it was a case of checking the pace at half way, and then either easing back or killing myself to complete it out on schedule.

Best bet would be to do as Peckham suggested and find a straight bit of road (or track) and mark a half-way point(100m). Use the Garmin if you have to, but if you could borrow a measuring wheel, it'd be far more accurate. Ignore the pace numbers on the watch, and just look at 'lap time'. If I was doing 200s again, I'd find a track and take the half way splits, based on time (not Garmin pace).

might be able to locate a wheel alright, from a builder. should do the job.
    thanks for the advise, thought maybe i had a setting wrong on watch.

hi lads, just wondering if any of you use the foot pod for track work?

i was doing the JD session 12 * 400m on a track & as i was using GPS the watch was constantly measuring short. i was finishing my workout a few metres shorter than the 400 on the track.

i then decided to calibrate the footpod as i had it with me in the car & don't often get to a track & after doing two loops of the track it measured 801m.
    far more accurate than the GPS.

is this the way to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jfh wrote: »
    hi lads, just wondering if any of you use the foot pod for track work?

i was doing the JD session 12 * 400m on a track & as i was using GPS the watch was constantly measuring short. i was finishing my workout a few metres shorter than the 400 on the track.

i then decided to calibrate the footpod as i had it with me in the car & don't often get to a track & after doing two loops of the track it measured 801m.
    far more accurate than the GPS.

is this the way to go?

The usual way to go is not to use a Garmin at all during track work. You know the distance, because it's a track, and a simple €10 stop watch from Argos will fulfill all your other needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I would measure 400 metres or whatever using a garmin. Pick out a marker like a tree or bottle to mark 200 metres/halfway.

Then just run it, taking a time check at half way. It takes a bit of practice to get a feel for the right pace. You should be aiming to run the 400 in a specific time rather than pace.

Advertisement