Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird PC issue

Options
  • 13-05-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I have a new build of a computer that I put together about two months ago, but I am running into some issues, recently one of my hard drives failed completely without warning, have replaced that but now when running games after playing for about 1/2 an hour, the game will crash, and I have to end process using task manager, but for anything else browsing/playing dvds, the system runs fine, Also I have had the display turn off (and need to be disconnected/reconnected to get it back) when plugging in some usb devices, and once when switching on PC no display came on but windows loaded in background, restarted PC, display was fine. Could this be a psu issue or graphics card?

Specs: i5 3570k, gigabyte ga-z77x mobo, corsair ddr3 1600 16gb ram, MSI radeon 7850 2gb, ocz agility 3, WDC 2tb hd, corsair cx600w psu, Windows 7 x64 pro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

It's likely to be the graphics card, either faulty, overheating, not in its slot properly, or you forgot to attach a required dedicated power supply to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

I checked the card in the slot and psu connector when it first happened, they were in tight, as for temps and voltages i've taken some readings of the pc at idle and load, i played modern warfare 2 for 10 mins, and the card temp topped out at 62 deg C which I don't think is that high. also i have a 200mm case fan blowing onto the card so that should also be keeping temps down

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

So you do have the power cable from the psu to the 6-pin connector on the card? Is there a second one you can try? Do you have a multimeter you can use to test to make sure there is power coming from the cable?

If it is getting power, maybe you have a short somewhere, so trying the stuff outside of the case on a non-conductive surface will help identify if this is happening.

Advertisement