Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1yr old up at the crack of dawn

Options
  • 13-05-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭

5am every day. Wide awake like an old school washine machine/tumble drier combo, bouncing all over the gaf.
    Is there a way to get him to sleep a bit longer? he's off to his leaba at 8pm and sleeps about 2/3hrs during the day. Mostly because he's up so early.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is he wet, hungry, cold, is it too bright in the room? There's a reason he is waking up early. Try and find it.

Some babies are just early risers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My now 17 month old is an early riser too although we're 'lucky' that she doesn't wake until 6am.

I'd love to get her to sleep longer but haven't yet found a way unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

3 of them here. we have to be up at 7, so if we get to 6 it is a good day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maybe blackout blinds would help? is he going to bed too early?
    mine do 8/8:30 - 8 most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My 1 yr old was rarely reaching 6am, every morning. Blacked out his window 2 weeks ago and he normally goes to quarter to 7 now, I can live with that ;)
    And he's in bed by 7pm, so not bad at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I would suggest trying to limit day-time naps. 2-3 hours is too much, I reckon.

Black-out blinds are a big help also, imo.

Sleep routines are crucial for parent and child sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

taped black sacks to the windows with masking tape when ours were small worked a treat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Leftist wrote: »
    5am every day. Wide awake like an old school washine machine/tumble drier combo, bouncing all over the gaf.
    Is there a way to get him to sleep a bit longer? he's off to his leaba at 8pm and sleeps about 2/3hrs during the day. Mostly because he's up so early.
    so hes getting about 12 hours sleep a day? Sounds about right. Possibly a little more is needed.

As another poster said, try to cut his nap time during the day. take maybe 10-15 mins a day off it (or every other day).

the other problem could be teething...that might be the reason too...along with hunger/thirst/wet or dirty nappy.

Or you could be unlucky (like me) and he might just not need so much sleep. Our eldest was similar...would usually sleep for an hour during the day (at most) and 8-6 if we were lucky!-and a nightmare to get to sleep.

Gotten better now though...does 7.30 to 6.30/7 daily...and usually out like a light at bed time. Even does the odd daytime nap too :)

so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I would suggest trying to limit day-time naps. 2-3 hours is too much, I reckon.

Black-out blinds are a big help also, imo.

Sleep routines are crucial for parent and child sanity!

Length of nap is fine - at 1 babies should still be napping 2-3hours daily, usually 2 naps a day & then between about 15 & 18 months they tend to get rid of 1 nap & nap about 2 hrs a day. My daughter is 19 months & naps for between 1 & 2 hrs a day, sometimes 1 a day, sometimes 2. Like a bag of cats if she doesn't get a nap.

Must really get blackout myself as I think the bright evenings & mornings are causing my little one to wake more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I remember reading somewhere that the time of their nap is imprtant. For example if he gets up at 5, nap should be around 10 not 8 or 9.
    I tried it at the time for my toddler, but didn't work! He grew out of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

If he wakes at 5, don't let him go down for another sleep til at least 9.30 then let him sleep for 1.25 hours max and wake him up. Then allow max an hour in the afternoon.

If you let him nap early after waking there is no incentive for him to sleep longer. A few days of controlling naps and hopefully his system will get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Blackout blinds are your friend. You can get ones that sucker onto the window in smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

We have shutters on our windows which completely block any light from coming in, but A still wakes at 6 or 6.15 every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

T (13months) gets up at 5am every morning, bouncing around. Goes to bed at 630 now, and only has 1 nap a day generally for just under 2 hours. But we've adapted to it. We changed to the early shift in work aswell and she actually goes to daycare for 6am now and we are all home to play by 215.

So we have no chance of ever getting her to sleep longer lol.

I know not everyone can change their schedule around like that, but we tried everything for the year I was on Mat leave and nothing worked to get her to sleep longer so we gave in.

Advertisement