Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rofab house advice

Options
  • 13-05-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm considering buying a house that is of rofab construction (precast concrete panels) built in the 1980s. I'm having trouble finding information about this type of construction and am concerned about the potential issues.

Obviously I will be get a structural survey done before purchasing but just wondering if anyone has any general advice about this type of construction before I hire a surveyor?

I'm wondering if adding an extension to this type of house might pose any particular problems? Also, the house in its current form has very few windows, would it be problematic to add new window openings to this type of structure?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Start with structural engineer and arch tech with thermal bridging experience. If it was me I'd be budgeting up front for external wall insulation & new windows + heat system - so there's 30-50k there alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

Thanks for the advice guys!

Any ideas whether it would be problematic adding new window openings where walls of a house are concrete panels rather than bricks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Almost anything is possible with the right skill-set and budget . The precast concrete does limit you to builders experienced with making alterations to reinforced concrete works. The "cheap and cheerful lads" won't be in the picture for this. And even the competent and experienced guys should be supervised professionally. I would be looking for a substantial discount off the price so as to provide funds for these additional cost factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm considering buying a house that is of rofab construction (precast concrete panels) built in the 1980s. I'm having trouble finding information about this type of construction and am concerned about the potential issues.

Obviously I will be get a structural survey done before purchasing but just wondering if anyone has any general advice about this type of construction before I hire a surveyor?

I'm wondering if adding an extension to this type of house might pose any particular problems? Also, the house in its current form has very few windows, would it be problematic to add new window openings to this type of structure?

This type of build was more common in the 1970's and any of them that I've worked with have readily accepted standard cavity construction as extension. Cutting through the panels was always very tough, but manageable. It depends on the actual manufacturers of the type of panels used as to their make up, but most I've seen include full angles as reinforcement as well as re-bars.

From a design point I've always found matching new wall thicknesses with existing ones to be challenging within the same room. As mentioned earlier, cold bridging will be an issue, attention to detail is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I would also consider exploring the idea of building a new block outer leaf completely and turning the build into a cavity wall. It may be slightly less costly than EWI.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭therightangle

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I would also consider exploring the idea of building a new block outer leaf completely and turning the build into a cavity wall. It may be slightly less costly than EWI.

With this idea in mind, just thinking re foundations. Were the original structures founded by digging holes for posts every panel width, and the panels just sitting on a strip (similar to post and panel fencing)?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

With this idea in mind, just thinking re foundations. Were the original structures founded by digging holes for posts every panel width, and the panels just sitting on a strip (similar to post and panel fencing)?

i couldnt tell you :)

Advertisement