Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone help decipher Father profession..

• 13-05-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Trying to decipher the father profession from the attached Birth cert,
    Obviously says Railway but not sure whether the word below is a place
    or description of his railway profession ...

The area will be Wexford / New Ross just in case it s an area,
    have searched for old railway stations that might match but am struggling as I'm not sure how the actual word its spelt ,

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To me it looks like "employee"

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

At first glance I think it says railway employee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agreed: railway employee

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

I must need to go to specsavers...

I can see the Em but after that ..especially the end doesn't look yee ,
    But so far jury says employee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Employee. It looks like she is using a pen that needs dipping in ink every so often.

You can see in the very good scan where the "l" is connected to the centre of the "p" as if she wrote "Emp" dipped the pen and then wrote "loyee". The first "e" in "Employee" merges withe the descender of the "y" in "Railway". The last "e" is pretty distinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Ahhh I see I see says the blind man !!
    Sorry everyone, the descender of Y as mathepac has pointed out was throwing me ..

Thanks everyone for replying , let the search continue ..
    mathepac wrote: »
    Employee. It looks like she is using a pen that needs dipping in ink every so often.

You can see in the very good scan where the "l" is connected to the centre of the "p" as if she wrote "Emp" dipped the pen and then wrote "loyee". The first "e" in "Employee" merges withe the descender of the "y" in "Railway". The last "e" is pretty distinct.

Advertisement