Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Accommodation Question

Options
  • 13-05-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to move into an apartment with another person who advertised they needed a roommate.

It turns out the contract will be up soon with the landlord and so someone has to sign it, but if I sign it then I'd be liable for the rent of the other tenant if he or she moves out and vice-versa?

Is this relatively standard?

Will landlords never deal with an individual tenant? (i.e. I am responsible for my share of the rent only)

Sorry for being a bit naive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Does the landlord know that the current tenant is looking to sublet? A lot of the time the landlord will not allow this.

Yes, if you sign the lease then you are responsible for the entire rent. If you co-sign the lease then you are both jointly responsible for the entire amount.

It sounds like you are looking to rent a room, ie where you deal with the landlord regarding just one room in a property. Such an arrangement is common enough, but its different to what you are proposing here by the sounds of it. When looking at rooms, make sure that you are dealing with the landlord, not with a current tenant in the property.

Advertisement