Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop output to Full HDTV Via HDMI

Options
  • 13-05-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a tv recently, which I planned on using it for my laptop for movies etc.
    Got around to getting another HDMI cable today, not expecting any trouble, only to find that the Laptop wasn't outputting to the TV? :S

I started researching to see what the problem was. Nothing came up that was helpful.

The TV is a LG 42inch - Model is 42LH3000.
    Since experincing the problem, I've attempted to connect the laptop to other TV's via HDMI, both of which being Toshiba's. Not a problem.

When I connect the HDMI cable, the laptop knows theres a monitor connected, but it can't detect the name (Like it does with my acer monitor, or Toshiba TV's) Instead, it says: "Display device on: VGA"
    I've attempted all resolutions, and trying changing some settings on both the laptop and the TV, but nothing works!

Any help on this would be great.

PS-Laptop is a Dell Inspirion N5050

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Cheers for that. I'm not sure it's the laptop, if it's fine at connecting to other similar tv's? Could be wrong of course.
    I just seen somewhere, they recommend that the Laptop is off, and tv is off before booting. I've just tried that, and I get a little response from my laptop (Windows sound for plugging something in) but then I got the sound for something being plugged out. Seems very odd...

What "channel" are you putting on the TV? It's one of the HDMIs you want rather than the "PC" channel.

What "channel" are you putting on the TV? It's one of the HDMIs you want rather than the "PC" channel.

HDMI is plugged into HDMI 1 - I've tested the same channel with a PS3 and Xbox 360, and worked fine. Also tested the HDMI cable with same. No joy :(

*edit* - Just testing my TV with my desktop. HDMI out worked perfectly. Plugged it in, and it was working...

I've somehow gotten it working. I'm sure someone will google the same problem at some point, so it's work adding an my solution.

I went ahead and download the newest drivers for the Intel 3000 from the Intel website. I ran the setup. As it was running I was in the screen-resolution menu messing around. When the install was finished, the laptop detected the LG TV and said it was a working display. The screen remained blank, but I assumed the best. I restarted the laptop, and when to start messing with the display to see if I could get it working. To my shock, the the display was no longer detected by windows.
    I ran the install again, and the same thing happened. This time, I declined the restart, and changed the resolution. All of a sudden, the display was working perfect.

I'm assuming it is/was an Intel problem. I've restarted since a few times, and each time, I have to run the setup. Bit of a round-about way of getting it working, but at least it's working I guess?

Also-The TV i'm using requires you to use the correct HDMI channel (3 total channels, one of which is meant for PC connection) - Which is HDMI1

• Advertisement
Advertisement