Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and Ride - Bus Strike

Options
  • 13-05-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I use park and ride everyday and found this morning that there are private operators running the buses while the strike is on. Needless to say, I didn't use it today as I felt like I'd be passing a picket line eventhough there was no picket there this morning. If the strike continues tomorrow, can anyone let me know if I get it using the private bus transfer, will this be classed as passing a picket line. Its something I feel strongly about and would like to know that I'd be supporting the workers for standing up to the pay cuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Why should you do so. They are separate entity.
    It's like you shop in Dunnes but there is a strike in Tesco, therefore you don't shop :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

verat wrote: »
    I use park and ride everyday and found this morning that there are private operators running the buses while the strike is on. Needless to say, I didn't use it today as I felt like I'd be passing a picket line eventhough there was no picket there this morning. If the strike continues tomorrow, can anyone let me know if I get it using the private bus transfer, will this be classed as passing a picket line. Its something I feel strongly about and would like to know that I'd be supporting the workers for standing up to the pay cuts.

Sorry but. lols.

Get on the bus and use it. Its a private entity and nothing to do with BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It is normally operated by bus eireann. They brought it in private operators to cover strike. So technically it would be crossing the strike to use it. If you are into that kind of thing Not that I am by the way).

I'm surprised the strikers haven't blocked it to be honest seeing as they apparently blocked a go Bus from leaving Cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i saw a kearneys double decker earlier turning into the park and ride, i assume they got them to cover,
    people still need to get to work, i would have no problem taking that bus,

what services are running? are all the city buses stopped, eg to douglas etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Ludo wrote: »
    It is normally operated by bus eireann. They brought it in private operators to cover strike. So technically it would be crossing the strike to use it. If you are into that kind of thing Not that I am by the way).

I'm surprised the strikers haven't blocked it to be honest seeing as they apparently blocked a go Bus from leaving Cork today.

Are you sure it is operated by Bus Éireann? According to [HTML][PHP]http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/blackashparkandride/[/PHP][/HTML]

Cork City Council was the first Irish local authority to obtain a Bus Operator licence for the Park and Ride Service under the 1932 Road Traffic Act.

Why obtaining a license and outsourcing the service to BE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I find it funny that you would use the service, thus undermining the strike as long as you aren't crossing a physical picket line.

It seems you're more concerned about not being seen to cross a picket rather than supporting the strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

verat wrote: »
    In alot of circumstances i wouldnt pass the picket line, in this situation i have no sympathy. The company is going to fail unless everybody takes a hit, the LRC made some reasonable reccomendations, and they rejected them outright. These guys have some ridiculous terms regarding pay at weekends, overtime pay and loads of others. Bus eireann wont give in, because they cant.

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Are you sure it is operated by Bus Éireann? According to [HTML][PHP]http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/blackashparkandride/[/PHP][/HTML]

Cork City Council was the first Irish local authority to obtain a Bus Operator licence for the Park and Ride Service under the 1932 Road Traffic Act.

Why obtaining a license and outsourcing the service to BE?

Pretty sure:

DD32No3S.jpg

Bus Eireann logo on side of bus.

All the staff wear Bus Eireann uniforms also. Much cheaper to outsource operation of the service to someone who already has staff and buses rather than getting them all yourself...normal business practise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Black Ash P&R facility along with the buses (afair) belong to the city council itself with BE providing the drivers under contract. If the P&R buses were not being used today then its probably because they are parked up in Capwell. The council are well within their rights to engage with another bus company to provide the service if BE are unable to.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Black Ash P&R facility along with the buses (afair) belong to the city council itself with BE providing the drivers under contract. If the P&R buses were not being used today then its probably because they are parked up in Capwell. The council are well within their rights to engage with another bus company to provide the service if BE are unable to.

Absolutely they are within their rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

I think the issue is not the operator of the service here but the union the workers belong to. Reading the comments, Ireland has sure changed the past 30 years with regards to beliefs and workers rights. These workers work hard, long, unsociable hours and I know some bus drivers, none of which live in big houses and go on lavish holidays every year. They are hard working men and women who have decided that 'enough is enough' and I agree. If I saw the people at the top taking as big a percentage of a cut then I might be against any kind of industrual action but anyone I've heard being interviewed today couldn't tell the interviewer if that was the case. If they don't take action now and take what the LRC proposed, then where does it end and to what cost? It would also create a precident for the rest of the sectors. Look into what they really earn and not the figures being shown in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Bus Eireann drivers are earning about 30-40% more than what their private sector counterparts, so why should the rest of us feel sorry for them? It's the private guys, and the extremely unlucky GoBe driver who was blocked in by some Scargill types, that I feel sorry for, especially as they have no job security and could lose their jobs in the morning if the private company goes bust.

The drivers who participated in the picket of the GoBe vehicle should be fired - and it should be easy to do this since they were videoed on the Six-One News this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Panic over. The buses will be running tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Bus Eireann drivers are earning about 30-40% more than what their private sector counterparts, so why should the rest of us feel sorry for them? It's the private guys, and the extremely unlucky GoBe driver who was blocked in by some Scargill types, that I feel sorry for, especially as they have no job security and could lose their jobs in the morning if the private company goes bust.

The drivers who participated in the picket of the GoBe vehicle should be fired - and it should be easy to do this since they were videoed on the Six-One News this evening.

The stupid actions of ill-informed, ignorant of the facts, strikers. This blocking of the GoBe bus driver yesterday was a disgrace and the strikers involved should be disciplined at the very least up to and including dismissal. People need to know that strikes are not a free for all, learn some manners and get their facts straight. This self-righteousness that follows strikes from time to time make ignorant people do stupid things, such as block that man from driving his bus, which is not owned nor operated by BE. If the strike kicks off again after 48 hours I would insist that the Gardai do their job this time and disperse a breach of the peace as this was and not an attempt to block a strike break, which GoBe in no way is.

Advertisement