Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post not arriving

Options
  • 13-05-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure if this is in the right place but I have a problem with mail not arriving at the house we moved into in Jan.

We are getting bills etc no problem but we had to cancel our new bank cards that should have arrived at the end of April (posted 16th April from Scotland) The replacements for those were sent out 2 weeks ago, and still no sign of them. Also had a couple of personal letters that were sent to me but no sign of them either.

I have been on to An Post Customer Services and was told 'we'll look into it and get back to you'. No word back after 2 weeks, despite further emails from me.

I went into the sorting office regarding the personal letters on the off chance they were there. When told them they weren't registered I got little more than a shrug.

I'm sure (hope) there is a reasonable explanation for all this, but it seems strange that bank cards and the like aren't arriving, whereas bills are. Could this potentially be a matter for the guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Unless bank cards were intercepted in the mail and used fraudulently, it's unlikely the Gardai will get involved. The attitude in An Post is frankly that they don't care, I alerted them to the fact that virtually every letter that's delivered to my house shows signs that someone tried to lift the flap but they just didn't want to know.

An Post is a heavily unionised business with a poisonous 'them and us' attitude on the shop floor, nobody in management will take on the workers unless they can prove straightforward theft of cash and that only applies to money in transit for the Dept. of Social Welfare (to rural post offices) who pay An Post for the service. Stealing from ordinary mail is impossible to prove so they just pretend it doesn't happen.

Are you sure you're using the correct address for your house? In Dublin all you should use is the street and postal district number, you do not need a suburb name which in a lot of cases is incorrect anyway - if you were to analyse post in D4 I bet almost nobody claims to live in Irishtown, they're all Sandymount and Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KBarry wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is in the right place but I have a problem with mail not arriving at the house we moved into in Jan.

We are getting bills etc no problem but we had to cancel our new bank cards that should have arrived at the end of April (posted 16th April from Scotland) The replacements for those were sent out 2 weeks ago, and still no sign of them. Also had a couple of personal letters that were sent to me but no sign of them either.

I have been on to An Post Customer Services and was told 'we'll look into it and get back to you'. No word back after 2 weeks, despite further emails from me.

I went into the sorting office regarding the personal letters on the off chance they were there. When told them they weren't registered I got little more than a shrug.

I'm sure (hope) there is a reasonable explanation for all this, but it seems strange that bank cards and the like aren't arriving, whereas bills are. Could this potentially be a matter for the guards?

1. Put your complaint in writing to An Post. Its not much good otherwise.
    Complaints about postal services provided by An Post
    Contact An Post’s dedicated customer service team, outline the complaint and ask for it to be resolved.

Phone: 1850 57 58 59
    Letter: Customer Service, GPO, FREEPOST, Dublin 1
    Fax: (01) 809 0900
    Email: customer.services@anpost.ie
    2. If no reply is forthcoming, get onto www.comreg.ie The postal regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

KBarry wrote: »
    Hi,

Might also be worth getting on to the bank in Scotland and find out if they use Royal Mail or a private postal service, then chase them up too. Are the missing stuff coming from abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are getting some post then it sounds like a problem with the sender or confusion over the address. I'd get details from the bank before going off half-cocked suggesting An Post are thieves - like one reply did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If the cards are posted from Scotland they can go missing at various points. Also, I'm guessing that they are Ulster bank cards - Ulster banks have outsourced so much of their admin that it is quite unbelievable how many things they can get wrong.

You first need to confirm directly with ulster bank card services - not your local branch - that the cards have indeed gone to the new address. I say this because despite them getting the address changed on an account and vurtually everythign else, they have an inate inablility to change it on their card department and it might take you 2-3 weeks to actually get it across to them that you have a new address.

Also, why oh why do people blame the last point of contact for everything - check the whole chain and see where in the chain it can go wrong. There's more in your chain than An Post!!!!!! -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 very foggy lad

Get onto your local postmaster op.

Advertisement