Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads on DAFT attracting intimidating message

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi, I am advertising a house in Galway on Daft and I got this text on Thursday last.

I hav just noticed ur property does not accept r allow. i wonder y? not a prob really once u pay PRTB. will pass ur name on 2 revenue 2 ensure u r registered landlord.

Now i am fully registered, tax returns done, NPPR paid, PRTB paid etc.
    I am just wondering did anyone else get texts like this and should I reply to them. As I am afraid this will end in a text war or a brick through the window. What does everyone think????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ignore them and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Personally I would ignore, If you are all registered, nothing to worry about. Let them waste their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Vaughney40 wrote: »
    hi, I am advertising a house in Galway on Daft and I got this text on Thursday last.

I hav just noticed ur property does not accept r allow. i wonder y? not a prob really once u pay PRTB. will pass ur name on 2 revenue 2 ensure u r registered landlord.

I am just wondering did anyone else get texts like this and should I reply to them. As I am afraid this will end in a text war or a brick through the window. What does everyone think????

Sounds like an ideal tenant. Sign them up before another landlord grabs them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Molly1210

Can I ask why you don't accept Rent Allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id be temped to reply with "will pass your number onto the Gardai for harassment" but in reality the best thing to do is ignore the ****wit. They want to waste their time reporting every ad on Daft that doesnt accept RA then more power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its unlikely you can respond in such a way as to satisfy them, especially if you are not accepting RA due to hassle in the past and you inform them of this. Its none of their business anyway.

Ignore it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Do not reply, delete the text and just put it out of your mind. Its just some gob****e with free texts and too much time on his/her hands. Sadly though, some unsuspecting landlord who does accept " r allow " is probably going to end up with this numpty as a tenant. I can't see that ending well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dont respond I would think is best course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Vaughney40

Molly1210 wrote: »

Its just easier, no paperwork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Check out the numerous threads on delayed payments. The system is broken and pays rent in arrears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

stick his number up here to see if he likes abusive texts!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

To be fair with spelling and grammar like that i dont think the rev. will be able to make out what their on about, or that bothered, i reckon do as Doodoo said and they forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Doodoo wrote: »
    stick his number up here to see if he likes abusive texts!:D

Better still take out an ad on donedeal. Free silage to whoever collects.
    Call anytime.
    Then his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You should reply and tell him when he learns how to use spelling and grammar and not talk like a complete ****wit you'll consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Scortho wrote: »
    Better still take out an ad on donedeal. Free silage to whoever collects.
    Call anytime.
    Then his number.
    best laugh of the day, thanks Scortho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Considering the stories from landlords I have had , landlords I do work for and stories on here, Im surprised anyone would even consider accepting rent allowance. It appears to be nothing but headaches.

Most landlords won't accept rent allowance because the system of rent allowance is a joke.
    Money is given to the tenant who then gives the money plus their cobtribution to the landlord.
    However a small minority of tenants don't pass on the ra to the landlord.
    Landlord in turn gets burnt for a couple of grand and tells every landlord he knows about his experience. These landlords in turn don't take rent allowance tenants anymore.

The funny thing is, it's a very easy system to fix.
    Instead of rent allowance being paid by the gov. to the tenant, the full amount is agreed between landlord and the gov. Who then pay that landlord the rent in full.
    The tenant then has his cobtribution to the landlord deducted at source by the gov.
    It'd stop non paying tenants abusing the system, who in turn give all rent allowance recipients a bad name.
    It'd also stop the under the counter top up payments by some tenants.

Most landlords I believe would accept rent allowance if the system was as outlined. At the moment it's to risky for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Its just easier, no paperwork etc.

Which paperwork (forms etc.) do you need to fill out? Do you need to fill these out once or during the tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most landlords won't accept rent allowance because the system of rent allowance is a joke.
    Money is given to the tenant who then gives the money plus their cobtribution to the landlord.
    However a small minority of tenants don't pass on the ra to the landlord.
    Landlord in turn gets burnt for a couple of grand and tells every landlord he knows about his experience. These landlords in turn don't take rent allowance tenants anymore.

The funny thing is, it's a very easy system to fix.
    Instead of rent allowance being paid by the gov. to the tenant, the full amount is agreed between landlord and the gov. Who then pay that landlord the rent in full.
    The tenant then has his cobtribution to the landlord deducted at source by the gov.
    It'd stop non paying tenants abusing the system, who in turn give all rent allowance recipients a bad name.
    It'd also stop the under the counter top up payments by some tenants.

Most landlords I believe would accept rent allowance if the system was as outlined. At the moment it's to risky for them.

It wouldn't change my mind as RA can suddenly be cut or stopped and the tenant often takes no responsibility .

It would be actually relatively difficult to put in place such a system but ultimately I think it would reduce places for RA. Some LL don't like money going into their accounts which would also cost more to distribute RA thanks to bank charges.

It does need fixing but practically speaking a pretty major job.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It wouldn't change my mind as RA can suddenly be cut or stopped and the tenant often takes no responsibility .

It would be actually relatively difficult to put in place such a system but ultimately I think it would reduce places for RA. Some LL don't like money going into their accounts which would also cost more to distribute RA thanks to bank charges.

It does need fixing but practically speaking a pretty major job.

Why wouldn't they like money going into their account?
    Or is it due to revenue commisioner. In that case, if they're avoiding tax, that's not a valid reason against what I suggested.

I can't see how it'd be that difficult.
    Rent allowance can be administered by dept. of social welfare. They pay full amount to landlord and hold tenants contribution back from social welfare payments. Very few who are working, are on rent allowance. If they are earning a wage, it can be deducted at source from their income by revenue.

And any landlord Is perfectly entitled to decide who they rent to. This I believe however would give extra protection to landlords who currently or may be considering having rent allowance tenants at little extra cost to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Vaughney40

I actually just googled the phone number and its a Woman!!!!! Who advertises property to rent herself......... can't see the logic of why she is having a go at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

so maybe she is just giving you some helpful advised on how to be a landlord. for all the horror stories about accepting rent allowance I'm sure there are 10's of thousands that never have a problem.

Why wouldn't they like money going into their account?
    Or is it due to revenue commisioner. In that case, if they're avoiding tax, that's not a valid reason against what I suggested.

I can't see how it'd be that difficult.
    Rent allowance can be administered by dept. of social welfare. They pay full amount to landlord and hold tenants contribution back from social welfare payments. Very few who are working, are on rent allowance. If they are earning a wage, it can be deducted at source from their income by revenue.

And any landlord Is perfectly entitled to decide who they rent to. This I believe however would give extra protection to landlords who currently or may be considering having rent allowance tenants at little extra cost to the state.

Yes some LL are avoiding paying tax and the shouldn't. It doesn't matter as to why just that it will reduce supply. I don't see that it would increase supply in any manner as most of the problems with RA would remain.

RA is administrated by the HSE for starters so the deduction from dole would have to be connected, that is costly work. Then it has to be maintained which would also be costly. Banks charge for transfers so costs go up again. That is not little cost to the state.

Then you have the unions involved. If you want to take it away from the HSE it would involve changes to the law etc...

I have worked on state systems involved and it would not be cheap. A lot of people thing once a system is computerised it is easy and cheap to change. It isn't and does not eliminate work required to administrate and maintain.

I actually just googled the phone number and its a Woman!!!!! Who advertises property to rent herself......... can't see the logic of why she is having a go at me.

Because she sees herself as legal and thinks you are not. If your rent is lower than hers she sees you as a somebody under cutting her by not having the same expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Scrap RA completely and house them in the state controlled empties.

Save on state paying rent.
    Removes artificial floor in private rental market.
    Thus, removing artificial floor in property market.
    Thus, increasing transactional stamp duty from sales.
    True losses of banks realised.

Functioning property market.
    Functioning private rental market.
    Reduced state costs.
    Increased state income.
    Actual state balance sheet clarified.

Leaving aside "ghetto potential" can anyone provide a (non vested interest) reason why this would not be the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Banks charge for transfers so costs go up again. That is not little cost to the state.

Just on this point, does the money not have to be transferred somewhere anyway? i.e. to the tenants account, or into cash, the cost of the bank transfer would also be miniscule compared to the actual payments.

astrofool wrote: »
    Just on this point, does the money not have to be transferred somewhere anyway? i.e. to the tenants account, or into cash, the cost of the bank transfer would also be miniscule compared to the actual payments.

The post office charges of dealing with the cheques is cheap they would be easily double if done with the banks.

Zamboni wrote: »

Save on state paying rent.
    Removes artificial floor in private rental market.
    Thus, removing artificial floor in property market.
    Thus, increasing transactional stamp duty from sales.
    True losses of banks realised.

Functioning property market.
    Functioning private rental market.
    Reduced state costs.
    Increased state income.
    Actual state balance sheet clarified.

Leaving aside "ghetto potential" can anyone provide a (non vested interest) reason why this would not be the solution?

A few
    1) Artificial floor has been proved to be a myth in Dublin at least
    2) People don't want to live in the areas where many vacant houses are
    3) State maintenance on properties is not cheap
    4) Nama are not in the habit of giving away anything for free
    5) Most of the empty properties still require work
    6) The state want to get away from being LL not take on more
    7) Many empty houses don't meet the standards required by the state

Ghetto potential is enough in itself and has been proven to be a disaster. Integrated housing is the now the way it is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Zamboni wrote: »

You're excluding the biggest Con to your argument there, Ghettoisation is such a problem that it makes the idea a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You're excluding the biggest Con to your argument there, Ghettoisation is such a problem that it makes the idea a non runner.

+1

we've all seen it with council estates and haulting sites, putting a load of unemployed people together in one place just causes massive problems in Ireland.

Advertisement