Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB: installing a undeleatable file

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I want to upload a single data file onto 150 USB FLash drives but in a way that the file cannot be removed or deleted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

right click the file, properties, in attributes set to "read-only", although this can be reversed if there not stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Are you one of those guys who gives out free memory sticks as advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cooper1300 wrote: »
    I want to upload a single data file onto 150 USB FLash drives but in a way that the file cannot be removed or deleted

Damn near impossible once you are talking about a "standard" USB key.

Formatting the key will wipe everything.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cooper1300

Hi Paul... We supply Printed or engraved USB Flashdrives with a logo on them to the Business Gift trade. Are you looking for some? Regards, Paul C.

Many thanks... usually we get them done at the factory that supplies us in Asia, but we do not have them time to wait 3 weeks. We stock unprinted USBs in Europe but can only get a file uploaded which can be deleted by the user. A client wants is uploaded so the information cannot be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

A client wants is uploaded so the information cannot be removed.

Really not technically feasible if you want to be able to use it as as normal USB drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Khannie wrote: »
    Really not technically feasible if you want to be able to use it as as normal USB drive too.

How could that be achieved? I didn't think there was a way to make a usb read only.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

FSL wrote: »
    How could that be achieved? I didn't think there was a way to make a usb read only.

It would be possible to make Flash chips read only, probably requires some soldering. Wouldn't know much about that kind of stuff. Some flash keys have write protect switches, but this still wouldn't help op if the client must not be able to overwrite the data, as they could just flick the switch and format

Nick

FSL wrote: »

If you're a manufacturer you could make it read only, no problem. You could (for example) just use a type of memory that can only be written to once.

Thinking about it I suppose it might be technically possible to order one with two partitions - one that was read only with your file on it and another that was useful as a proper USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Using a pre-loaded ROM chip on a run of 150 is likely to be prohibitively expensive.

• Advertisement

If you're a manufacturer you could make it read only, no problem. You could (for example) just use a type of memory that can only be written to once.

Thinking about it I suppose it might be technically possible to order one with two partitions - one that was read only with your file on it and another that was useful as a proper USB stick.

It is possible to do that alright, but I cant see how it would be financially feasible for anyone involved.

Probably alright....customisations like that do seem to be very cheap these days though.

Regardless, I don't think it's possible to do the way the OP wants (i.e. that s/he has the ability to write the file once themselves and have it read-only).

Probably alright....customisations like that do seem to be very cheap these days though.

Regardless, I don't think it's possible to do the way the OP wants (i.e. that s/he has the ability to write the file once themselves and have it read-only).

Agreed.

Thanks everyone for the comments.... usually we can get a undeleatable file uploaded in our factory in Asia at about 14c/USB.... but lead time is about 3 weeks to Ireland. I have located a guy I used to deal with years ago in a Dublin tech shop and says he can do it but cost is over €1 per USB.. a bit more expensive!

Thanks everyone for the comments.... usually we can get a undeleatable file uploaded in our factory in Asia at about 14c/USB.... but lead time is about 3 weeks to Ireland. I have located a guy I used to deal with years ago in a Dublin tech shop and says he can do it but cost is over €1 per USB.. a bit more expensive!
    I'd be skeptical as to how "undeletable" either option are tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

A supplier can create a U3 image for a non-standard drive key that makes itself look to windows like a CD drive + windows drive. Even getting the formatting option needs a bit of techie partition manipulation.

Advertisement