Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What CM said - utterly thrilled for you A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Marathons are never easy but to deliver a PB on the back of all the illness you've had to deal with is AMAZING.

Congrats :D

+10000. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Well done Runchick looking forward to the report, enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks guys!! What an experience, oh my goodness if you ever get the chance to run London do it!! Felt amazing except for nausea from 15 miles but still managed to take it all in and enjoy it all!! Brilliant weekend, a bit sad to be at Gatwick now to fly home, back to reality :) report to follow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Huge congrats Runchick - delighted for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Over the moon for ya Runchick:D Super pb and sounds like you really enjoyed the experience. Looking forward to reading more about it in your race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Well done on PB Runchick looking forward to race report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done Angie! Fantastic day for you, hope you really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done you legend!

BTW I take it you took your electrolytes the "standard" way this time??? :eek: :D

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    BTW I take it you took your electrolytes the "standard" way this time??? :eek: :D

Haha!! Did indeed, that little experiment's not something you'd be doing twice ;)

London Marathon Race Report

Well that was some experience!

On Friday I woke up feeling so ill I looked up the hotel number in London to cancel. OH convinced me to see the doctor and then make a call so I trotted off to the GP totally dismayed and feeling sorry for myself. Got checked over - bit of inflammation in the throat and ears but chest clear and no temperature. Got the all clear to run on the assumption that I rested well and felt better the next day, happy days!

Travelled to London on Saturday thankfully feeling a bit better, fairly long commute from Gatwick to the expo and back to the hotel, was wrecked by then but slept for a while and felt a lot better. Meself and Mr Runchick met up with Meno, RR, CL and Digger for a nice relaxed dinner, spirits were high and I felt the excitement building - maybe I could pull this off after all.

Sunday morning, big breakfast (if anything I was gonna fuel properly) and headed for the train with Gavlor, RR, Meno, CL and Digger..bit of a fiasco getting to the start line - basically we went a stop or 2 too far and then had to go back - jaysus I'm laughing just thinking about it :p but made it to the start line just in time for bag drop, toilet and in the pen with a few mins to spare.

So there I was about to run London marathon - hardly any training done bar one run over 20 miles, hardly the healthiest I had ever been so how was I gonna do this? Positive attitude was all I really had - enjoy the experience, take it as it comes. Knew I could get round under 4h30 and had 4h15 in mind from the start.

First half of the course is really fast and I spent the whole first 13 miles holding back - the legs wanted to push on but I knew how far I had to go and held back as much as I could. The crowd support was unbelievable, having my name shouted out the whole way was fantastic and I soaked up the whole atmosphere. I think I smiled the whole way through the first half. Went through the first half in 2.05 - a bit faster than planned and I knew it would be a slower second half but I was enjoying myself and made the call to forget about the watch. Felt strong until 15 miles when I felt the first sharp pain in my stomach, uh, oh. From then on waves of nausea consumed me. I'm guessing it was a combination of the heat and gels, not the most pleasant feeling but once I realised it came and went again I learned to manage it. So once it passed I ran strong, looked around me, soaked up the experience and reminded myself how awesome this all was.

By 20 miles all I could think of was where the hell could I puke - some parts of the course were so narrow and congested that I couldn't guarantee not puking over other runners or spectators so I ploughed on as best as I could, slowing way down when the queasiness was at its worst. Mile 23 or so my opportunity appeared, a big tunnel, no spectators - happy days - straight over to the side, stopped and projectile vomited - like something out of an alien movie (sorry folks)…Felt dizzy for a minute and briefly wondered was that the end for me but there was no way I was for stopping. Trudged off and actually felt a lot better (wishing I'd done that a lot earlier) but was completely spent. Came out of the tunnel and for the next 3 miles the crowd literally brought me home. People say that about marathons but to actually experience it is something else.

I was exhausted but kind of euphoric, I knew I would finish and the atmosphere was electric. Turning the corner for the finish line I could have cried, over the line, 4h19, that'll do nicely. Slowly made my way to collect the bag and staggered to where I was to meet OH. Was dizzy and close to collapsing at this stage. But a sports drink, sugary tea and massage later and I felt human again - in fact felt much better than expected and was able to eat something. Back to the hotel for a shower and then a few drinks in the Coal Hole with the other boardsies. Amazing runs my so many and it was great to put so many faces to boards names. Hard luck for some on the day too, was especially disappointed for Meno as he really deserved a good day.

Left the party in full swing to head back to Gatwick. Feeling grand today - throat and ears a bit sore but nothing worse than they had been. Legs not too bad at all, just feels like the day after a long run. Bit tired too but nothing major so happy enough.

Now time to forget about London and get back to studying. The assignments have been building up over the last week or so, need to get my ass in gear on that front!

What next? I need a sinus operation so no more marathons until after that. Hopefully not too long a wait though as I can't wait for the next one already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

God your some woman, you did well to hang on til you got to the tunnel, very considerate! Hope you get your sinus op out of the way soon. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Smashing stuff Runchick so happy for you, super running and to be able to recover from the puking incident respect! I was glued to it on the TV yest morning and kept thinking were any of ye on the telly :) enjoy a well deserved rest your a star!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed that - good running, and good puke too. You're a tough one; well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good run, good puke and good read, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

So well done,great run n great report,so happy for u. U deserved it after all u came through. Good luck with your op,hopefully u will get it soon n get back to full health. London sounds like an amazing experience, enjoyed watching it on TV.
    Rest up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely amazing Runchick, I don't post much in these parts any more, but I am so happy for you with all the sickness and hard work and disappointments, you deserved it so much. I was jealous of all the runners while watching on Sunday, it looked like an amazing race and fantastic atmosphere. Congrats again on a well earned PB

SamforMayo wrote: »
    God your some woman, you did well to hang on til you got to the tunnel, very considerate! Hope you get your sinus op out of the way soon. Take care.

Thanks Sam, you for DCM this year again?
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    Smashing stuff Runchick so happy for you, super running and to be able to recover from the puking incident respect! I was glued to it on the TV yest morning and kept thinking were any of ye on the telly :) enjoy a well deserved rest your a star!

Cheers DOCO you have to do London!!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Enjoyed that - good running, and good puke too. You're a tough one; well done.

:D
    Good run, good puke and good read, well done!

:D
    New runner wrote: »
    So well done,great run n great report,so happy for u. U deserved it after all u came through. Good luck with your op,hopefully u will get it soon n get back to full health. London sounds like an amazing experience, enjoyed watching it on TV.
    Rest up now.

Cheers NR, hows your marathon training going? Hope its all going to plan, maybe you'll be the one reporting from London next year??

Runchick wrote: »
    Cheers NR, hows your marathon training going? Hope its all going to plan, maybe you'll be the one reporting from London next year??
    LOL A, Training for a marathon of a different sort, due my first baby in 7 weeks! But wouldn't rule out London, was so jealous watching it, it looked amazing, think I will have to enter the lottery for the craic!

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing Runchick, I don't post much in these parts any more, but I am so happy for you with all the sickness and hard work and disappointments, you deserved it so much. I was jealous of all the runners while watching on Sunday, it looked like an amazing race and fantastic atmosphere. Congrats again on a well earned PB

OMG its so good to hear from you!! I had my suspicions about what had happened - congrats, you must be so excited!! If you've run a marathon you've nothing to worry about - its a similar experience - the hype, anticipation, excitement, then the hard work on the day - but that's all forgotten about the minute you reach the end :D All the very best with it all!!

OMG its so good to hear from you!! I had my suspicions about what had happened - congrats, you must be so excited!! If you've run a marathon you've nothing to worry about - its a similar experience - the hype, anticipation, excitement, then the hard work on the day - but that's all forgotten about the minute you reach the end :D All the very best with it all!!
    Aw thanks, that's so sweet! I'm due a year to the day after Cork Marathon, so will compare and contrast! Hope to get back running by the end of the summer. You're the inspiration as to what the mammies can achieve!

U never know Runchick, watching it on TV I so wished I was there,looked amazing!
    Tho many a day I say if I get through this 1,never again lol! Training going well so far,must admit happy enough, have a wee cold with sore throat and runny nose at min so hopefully will clear up without developing into anything worse. Ran a 5k race while back n got small PB,then ran a good 10k in derry a month ago,44.52 which was almost 2 min PB n won f40 category so was delighted. On sunday I ran the inishowen half marathon, wasn't feeling great n it was really windy so was happy with 1.41.01, but again won f40 category,(€50) so I was thrilled, tho obviously the competition wasn't too tough! Just wish marathon was over now at this stage. The time commitment is a big factor but hey I'm lucky to b able to run n hopefully will stay injury free till then.
    Hope u enjoying your recovery now,tho I know u doing assignments etc. Rather run another marathon anyday! Good luck with them.tho from what I know of u on here,you're a fighter n won't give in so u will do them n do them well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That was some run you put in, after all your health woes getting to the startline! You are a tough cookie :D Congrats to you.

U never know Runchick, watching it on TV I so wished I was there,looked amazing!
    Tho many a day I say if I get through this 1,never again lol! Training going well so far,must admit happy enough, have a wee cold with sore throat and runny nose at min so hopefully will clear up without developing into anything worse. Ran a 5k race while back n got small PB,then ran a good 10k in derry a month ago,44.52 which was almost 2 min PB n won f40 category so was delighted. On sunday I ran the inishowen half marathon, wasn't feeling great n it was really windy so was happy with 1.41.01, but again won f40 category,(€50) so I was thrilled, tho obviously the competition wasn't too tough! Just wish marathon was over now at this stage. The time commitment is a big factor but hey I'm lucky to b able to run n hopefully will stay injury free till then.
    Hope u enjoying your recovery now,tho I know u doing assignments etc. Rather run another marathon anyday! Good luck with them.tho from what I know of u on here,you're a fighter n won't give in so u will do them n do them well!!

Geez NR you're flying! Winning in your category is awesome, go you! Thats a fab half time, what are you aiming for in the mara? You know the GFA time for London is 3.45 - no bother to you!! Best of luck with the rest of the training and let us know how you get on. Maybe put a race report in the events section? I agree with you about the studying - horrible business but just has to be done! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hey RC. Enjoyed your report even though I knew most if already and congrats again on a great run. It was lovely to meet you and Mr RC. Hope the studying goes well for and you get those sinuses sorted out. Best of luck with all that and maybe see you again later in the year for some more PBs. :-)

2 weeks since London...took a whole week off, legs were great but was exhausted. Expected to get a chest infection after the marathon but that didn't happen so delighted on that front. Still got the same symptoms in my ears/throat /chest but not any worse so can't complain.

First run last Sunday, 3.5 easy miles. This week still very much in recovery so 4 short, slow runs, Tues 3.4 miles, Thur 3.4 miles, Sat 5.1m and 2.6 slow miles this morning. Still fatigued but getting there.

So what next? I am delighted that I ran London, such an experience. But to do it I had to slow things down, reduce the training and forget about a sub 4 attempt. That bugs me. I still want that sub 4. So how do I get there?

I need to get back in PB shape for 10k and HM. Set PBs last Spring of 48.xx and 1.47.xx but haven't been close to that shape since. I'm thinking I'll take another 2 weeks of easy recovery running then start in to a plan, probably a HM plan with a 10k or 2 along the way. Plenty of June 10k options locally and HMs in July and August. I'll decide on a plan over the next few weeks but any advice welcome.

Looking forward to a summer of racing without marathon training. Here's hoping the body allows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

2 weeks since London...took a whole week off, legs were great but was exhausted. Expected to get a chest infection after the marathon but that didn't happen so delighted on that front. Still got the same symptoms in my ears/throat /chest but not any worse so can't complain.

First run last Sunday, 3.5 easy miles. This week still very much in recovery so 4 short, slow runs, Tues 3.4 miles, Thur 3.4 miles, Sat 5.1m and 2.6 slow miles this morning. Still fatigued but getting there.

So what next? I am delighted that I ran London, such an experience. But to do it I had to slow things down, reduce the training and forget about a sub 4 attempt. That bugs me. I still want that sub 4. So how do I get there?

I need to get back in PB shape for 10k and HM. Set PBs last Spring of 48.xx and 1.47.xx but haven't been close to that shape since. I'm thinking I'll take another 2 weeks of easy recovery running then start in to a plan, probably a HM plan with a 10k or 2 along the way. Plenty of June 10k options locally and HMs in July and August. I'll decide on a plan over the next few weeks but any advice welcome.

Looking forward to a summer of racing without marathon training. Here's hoping the body allows...

Hi Runchick,
    Well done on your London time! Don't know how you did it sick....I could barely string together five 10min/miles last week when I had a touch of the same thing.

I'm new on here and we seem to be in a very similar place with running goals at the mo. Last years 10k PB 47:xx, half-marathon 1.51:xx and missed out on sub 4 at DCM by 9 mins. Boo! Hoping to knock the HM time into line in Limerick next weekend and then trying to decide what to do after that. Want to get under 4 hours for the marathon but don't know if I want to do Dublin yet. Nothing booked but Athlone Flatline HM in September (seriously good value at 20 euro) What to do.......
    Will be following this thread to see if any more experienced people give you and advice I can follow/steal!

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Hi Runchick,
    Well done on your London time! Don't know how you did it sick....I could barely string together five 10min/miles last week when I had a touch of the same thing.

I'm new on here and we seem to be in a very similar place with running goals at the mo. Last years 10k PB 47:xx, half-marathon 1.51:xx and missed out on sub 4 at DCM by 9 mins. Boo! Hoping to knock the HM time into line in Limerick next weekend and then trying to decide what to do after that. Want to get under 4 hours for the marathon but don't know if I want to do Dublin yet. Nothing booked but Athlone Flatline HM in September (seriously good value at 20 euro) What to do.......
    Will be following this thread to see if any more experienced people give you and advice I can follow/steal!

Very similar times alright ED! Best of luck in Limerick, let us know how you get on. Was DCM your first mara?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Very similar times alright ED! Best of luck in Limerick, let us know how you get on. Was DCM your first mara?

Yup! Had stomach issues (gels....never again!) and went out too fast and swore blind over the last few miles I'd never ever do it again..........but knew I wanted to do another one by the next morning.

Had to move in January and my job was unstable so that put paid to any ideas of a spring marathon. Settling in now and I start my new job in August so time to start planning.
    Have slowly built my mileage back up to 25-35 miles per week and I'm tolerating it well so I should be starting off a better base this time around.

Who am I kidding....I've obviously been thinking about this way more than I'll admit and will most probably do Dublin unless I decide to do one sooner!!!

Haven't followed a plan for Limerick so god knows how it will go but will be a nice tester of the fitness if nothing else. Bet you're glad you asked that short question now??? Do you want more detail.....my favourite colour? No?

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Yup! Had stomach issues (gels....never again!) and went out too fast and swore blind over the last few miles I'd never ever do it again..........but knew I wanted to do another one by the next morning.

Had to move in January and my job was unstable so that put paid to any ideas of a spring marathon. Settling in now and I start my new job in August so time to start planning.
    Have slowly built my mileage back up to 25-35 miles per week and I'm tolerating it well so I should be starting off a better base this time around.

Who am I kidding....I've obviously been thinking about this way more than I'll admit and will most probably do Dublin unless I decide to do one sooner!!!

Haven't followed a plan for Limerick so god knows how it will go but will be a nice tester of the fitness if nothing else. Bet you're glad you asked that short question now??? Do you want more detail.....my favourite colour? No?

Sounds like you'll be doing DCM this year alright and with a great base behind you. I'm sure you'll run well in Limerick :)

April summary

This has to be the log for 'how little training can you run a marathon on"

77 miles for April includes a very low mileage taper, London marathon, a week off and a very slow building of miles back up.

Miles for the year: 398 so just about on track for 1000 miles for the year, hopefully that'll be more like 1200 though.

Chest problems flaring up again this week but still running a bit...3.4m Tues, 3.4m Thur - 6am running which is absolute bliss :D Walking the dog 3 miles on non running mornings, can't get enough of these early starts :p

Sat 6.4m LSR - really really wanted to go further, gorgeous morning for running, I miss the really long runs!
    Sun - 3.3m recovery - 6am misty, serene plod through the trails :)

Marathon recovery done. Now gonna start Hal Higdon intermediate HM training plan which will bring me up to Cookstown half on 27th July. Will just add a couple of miles to the long runs and maybe stretch out the easy runs a tad. Have earmarked 2 10k's in June (may only end up doing one) and will probably do a parkrun in 3 weeks or so to see where I'm at.

Nice easy week ahead to start things off:

Tue - 3m
    Wed - 5 x 400m
    Thu - 3m
    Sat - 3m
    Sun - 7m LSR

This is a fresh start for me. Plan is to more or less start over, follow a proper plan and get properly healthy and fit again.

Saw a new consultant yesterday (have been waiting to see him for 3 months) and basically discovered that I've been barking up the wrong tree in terms of my ongoing health issues. Not going in to detail on a public forum, but finally think I'm now on the right path and have been properly diagnosed (the guy is a marathon runner and seems to know his stuff).

Treatment - medication initially to treat the symptoms. Hate taking medication but without a short term intervention I will just continue getting sick
    Diet - have cleaned up my diet recently anyway so will continue with that - no dairy or gluten
    Exercise - moderate exercise but not overcooking things - the plan above is certainly in that camp

Let's see how it goes :)

Now a question about the 400s - plan doesn't say what recovery, would 90 second walk/jog recovery between reps be about right?

Very happy to hear you're finally getting medical direction A - and I thought it was only down on this end of the island where it's near impossible to get prompt medical advice when you need it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Sat 6.4m LSR - really really wanted to go further, gorgeous morning for running, I miss the really long runs!
    Sun - 3.3m recovery - 6am misty, serene plod through the trails :)

Marathon recovery done. Now gonna start Hal Higdon intermediate HM training plan which will bring me up to Cookstown half on 27th July. Will just add a couple of miles to the long runs and maybe stretch out the easy runs a tad. Have earmarked 2 10k's in June (may only end up doing one) and will probably do a parkrun in 3 weeks or so to see where I'm at.

Nice easy week ahead to start things off:

Tue - 3m
    Wed - 5 x 400m
    Thu - 3m
    Sat - 3m
    Sun - 7m LSR

This is a fresh start for me. Plan is to more or less start over, follow a proper plan and get properly healthy and fit again.

Saw a new consultant yesterday (have been waiting to see him for 3 months) and basically discovered that I've been barking up the wrong tree in terms of my ongoing health issues. Not going in to detail on a public forum, but finally think I'm now on the right path and have been properly diagnosed (the guy is a marathon runner and seems to know his stuff).

Treatment - medication initially to treat the symptoms. Hate taking medication but without a short term intervention I will just continue getting sick
    Diet - have cleaned up my diet recently anyway so will continue with that - no dairy or gluten
    Exercise - moderate exercise but not overcooking things - the plan above is certainly in that camp

Let's see how it goes :)

Now a question about the 400s - plan doesn't say what recovery, would 90 second walk/jog recovery between reps be about right?

Best of luck with the plan Runchick. For the 400s it seems to vary from plan to plan. I have done them before with a 200m jog recovery or a 60 second standing recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Our club session has it as a 200m light jog / brisk walk.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Very happy to hear you're finally getting medical direction A - and I thought it was only down on this end of the island where it's near impossible to get prompt medical advice when you need it.:mad:

Prompt medical advice really depends on the size of yer bank balance, same everywhere I guess :rolleyes:

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan Runchick. For the 400s it seems to vary from plan to plan. I have done them before with a 200m jog recovery or a 60 second standing recovery.
    Our club session has it as a 200m light jog / brisk walk.

Thanks guys, 200m jog it is :)

Nice one A - best of luck with the new medical regime. And with the training plan - HHN2 is definitely enough to get you in sub-4 shape, all going well with everything else, especially if you mix it up with a midweek session as you seem to be doing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck with the fresh approach in all areas RC. I really hope this works out well for you. You deserve a bit of good fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck with the plans, hope you are fighting fit soon.

Glad hear u getting sorted RC, hope that sorts u out at last, all the very best x

Nice one A - best of luck with the new medical regime. And with the training plan - HHN2 is definitely enough to get you in sub-4 shape, all going well with everything else, especially if you mix it up with a midweek session as you seem to be doing already.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Good luck with the fresh approach in all areas RC. I really hope this works out well for you. You deserve a bit of good fortune.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plans, hope you are fighting fit soon.
    Glad hear u getting sorted RC, hope that sorts u out at last, all the very best x

Thanks guys, on the right track now at last :)

Tues - 3.4 miles easy
    Wed - 4.6 miles including 5 x 400m intervals
    . Did this on a country road first thing, using hedges as markers. Opted for 1 min standing recovery. Was clueless about what pace to run at so just ran at a pace I thought I could hold for the 5 reps.
    Splits: 1.45, 1.45, 1.43, 1.50, 1.45. I mentally gave up half way through the 4th one and slowed down, gave myself a good talking to for the last one and got through stronger. Tired at the end but delighted as I haven't ran faster than 9min/m since January :eek: There's no way this is my 5k pace though - I wish, so probably too fast but really enjoyed these.
    Thur - 3.4 miles easy
    Sat - 3.4 miles easy. I've had a tightness in my right quad since London but it became more noticeable during this run. Its exactly the same feeling and in the same place as where I had a slight tear last summer. Back then the physio said no running for a week and plenty of RICE so I'm going with that again, hopefully it does the trick.

Sun - 70min spin - replaced my 70 min planned run with a 70 min spin on the bike. Nice morning for it, would prefer to be running but enjoyable enough wee jaunt. About 15.5 miles.

I took the kids to the start of the Giro in Friday and was in absolute awe of those guys. What a spectacular event, couldn't believe it was in Belfast!

The week ahead will depend on the quad. Will probably stick to the bike during the week and hopefully a run next weekend.

Off now to watch the bikes again :)

Nice 400s! Did some of these myself this week at about the same pace. Smart thinking with the quads, especially as you are still in recovery mode - why risk it.

Saw the bikes myself today in Dublin, 5k from the finish. Speed was very impressive!

Nice 400s! Did some of these myself this week at about the same pace. Smart thinking with the quads, especially as you are still in recovery mode - why risk it.

Saw the bikes myself today in Dublin, 5k from the finish. Speed was very impressive!

Cheers D you're sauntering along nicely yourself :) Yep not risking anything with the quad - first time I haven't been marathon training in a long time - nice and relaxed approach all the way :cool:

The bikes absolutely rocked - seeing the best of the best in action in any sport is always impressive :)

Played it safe this week, replacing a few runs with the bike:

Tues - 11m bike ride in 45 mins or so
    Wed - 17m bike ride, pushed harder than day before an pushed it up the hills, surprised to be able to get hr up on the bike as much
    Thu - quad felt perfect so risked a wee plod, 3.4m slow run - no niggle, happy days :)

Sat - 3.4m easy run mostly on grass
    Sun - 8.2m LSR, longest run since London, was absolutely fine until last mile when hip got a bit uncomfortable, body is really telling me what its ready for :rolleyes:

Plan for the week ahead has 6 x 400m on Wed and a 5k race next weekend. I'll see how the hip goes but will take things easy, may replace Wed intervals with a progression run and push the 5k race another week out, or longer if body tells me to! Might replace Tues run with the bike again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Played it safe this week, replacing a few runs with the bike:

Tues - 11m bike ride in 45 mins or so
    Wed - 17m bike ride, pushed harder than day before an pushed it up the hills, surprised to be able to get hr up on the bike as much
    Thu - quad felt perfect so risked a wee plod, 3.4m slow run - no niggle, happy days :)

Sat - 3.4m easy run mostly on grass
    Sun - 8.2m LSR, longest run since London, was absolutely fine until last mile when hip got a bit uncomfortable, body is really telling me what its ready for :rolleyes:

Plan for the week ahead has 6 x 400m on Wed and a 5k race next weekend. I'll see how the hip goes but will take things easy, may replace Wed intervals with a progression run and push the 5k race another week out, or longer if body tells me to! Might replace Tues run with the bike again.

You should invest in a garmin cadence sensor, you'll pick one up on eBay for 35 or so. It's an easy way to ensure your keeping effort levels high during your spin.

Gavlor wrote: »
    You should invest in a garmin cadence sensor, you'll pick one up on eBay for 35 or so. It's an easy way to ensure your keeping effort levels high during your spin.

Thanks yeah I'll get all the gadgets once I get a decent bike, my garage is coming down with fancy bikes but I head out on an old raleigh racer as its the only one with toe clips :rolleyes: cleats on order - oh how things change

Had planned a bike ride on Tues but life got in the way and it didn't happen, wasn't too bothered as it gave hip a bit of a rest.

Wed - plan was for a 35 min tempo run so thought I'd go out easy and see how the hip felt. Planned paces for 4 miles 10, 9 , 8 , 10 - picking up the speed throughout the first 3 miles. This is how a tempo is done, right? Anyway in first mile I noticed I could only feel the hip when I lengthened my stride so kept the stride short and that seemed to do the trick.

Spilts 9.38, 8.33, 7.56, 9.39, 9.42 (0.7). 4.7 miles covered. The third mile was mostly uphill so I was working a lot harder than I would like, having to sprint the last 100metres or so to dip in under 8 min/m pace. Enjoyed this session, think its the first time I've done this type of run properly. Was more tiring than expected so a good workout I guess.

Thu - 3.4m easy and 1 hour pilates.

Fri - don't normally run on Fridays but felt good and had the chance to get out early in the morning which I hadn't had all week so went for 3.2 easy miles.

Sat - 9.1m LSR - longest run since London, very enjoyable but was pretty tired after and had to take a nap before going to work :o

Sun - 3.4m recovery - nice easy plod mostly on grass.

Not a bad week but the tempo run really made me think about where I'm at in terms of racing. I really have lost speed (very loose use of the term!) over the last year and am realising that its gonna take a fair amount of work to get it back. In 2 minds whether to just train over the summer and target races in Sept/ Oct or to race through the summer as planned, even if the results are disappointing. I wonder if racing 5 and 10k's will bring me on more than training with alternating intervals and tempo runs along with easy running?

Have almost certainly canned the idea of a July half too, will do one in September instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement