Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am in the same situation as you RC in that I don't feel in shape to 'race'. This is where parkruns are great. I'm gonna do one most weeks as my tempo run and hope to see some improvements which in turn will hopefully give me the confidence to do a real race. Don't you have a few parkruns around you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am in the same situation as you RC in that I don't feel in shape to 'race'. This is where parkruns are great. I'm gonna do one most weeks as my tempo run and hope to see some improvements which in turn will hopefully give me the confidence to do a real race. Don't you have a few parkruns around you?

Yip had thought of that but Saturday mornings are now taken up with kids sport so its tricky as one of us go to sport and the other looks after the youngest (can't take him to sport as parents take active role) - would involve driving to babysitter then to parkrun, instead of simply jogging to the start line - doable but hassle, might try one a month or something though...lots of midweek local races though which fit nicely - just not feeling brave enough :rolleyes:

Weekly update time

Tues - 4m easy

Wed - 5m including 6x400s - decided that I ran these too fast last time (1.45ish) and as they're supposed to be 5k pace (much slower) I'd not push as hard. Ran to feel and felt more comfortable than last time although just as tired at the end, splits 1.46, 1.44, 1.46, 1.43, 1.44, 1.48 so not any different to last time - just a different mental attitude - this running lark's all in yer head :)

Thur - 3.8m recovery mostly on grass

Sat - 4m easy - well supposed to be easy but pushed the middle 2 miles as was feeling good.

Sun - 10.2m LSR - slow early morning run, longest in a while.

May - ran 83 miles with a week on the bike so not too bad.

Will take a step back week now and then push on from there, keeping the LSR in double digits and get up to a regular 30-40mpw over summer.

Its a flippin joy to be running at this time of year, I'm grateful that I'm healthy enough and to be honest am starting to feel strong and in control again, slowly building things seems to be working :D

Update...

Last week - supposed to be stepback week anyway but only ran once. Went out on Wed to do a progression run, easy few miles then started picking the pace up, getting under 8 min/m was torturous so after 5 miles and pace down to around 7.45 I just stopped dead and walked home :( Just gave up, felt spent and tbh couldn't be bothered. Didn't run again the rest of the week, very busy with other stuff and needed the break.

This week -
    Mon - 4.5m easy
    Tues - 5m including 7 x 400s (1.51, 1.47, 1.46, 1.50, 1.45, 1.49, 1.48). These were bloody hard. I knew they were slower that last time but effort was high.
    Thur - 4m recovery - pace was v slow but HR high, cr@p.

So not a great week. It is no coincidence that I'm struggling again after stopping the medication that was supposed to "fix" me. All it did was mask things - throat and chest are sore again as soon as I stopped taking it:( Back to the drawing board and on to the next medical solution. Had been hopeful as was feeling great. Where does this leave running? Back to slow plodding/ no sessions and probably cut back to 4 days a week.

I have been overtrained for the past year. High miles coupled with stressful life stuff (stuff that doesn't get a look in here - this is a happy place :P) have taken their toll and I've found my limits.

Might not post as much but I'll keep plodding away. Ultimately for me its all about 2015. I hit a milestone birthday then and instead of moaning about getting old I fully intend to be faster and fitter than I ever have been. If I have to plod about until my body is ready for that then that's what I'll do.

I mightn't post as much but I'll still be lurking. Boards is a hoot - I get a good laugh from all the fast boys and the school-boy whos faster than who stuff! And of course all the advice and support and seeing folk progress and reach their targets, sure where else would ya get it ;)

Also I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has been in my situation and has made a successful comeback...(please tell me it happens :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Sorry to hear things not going so good, better to pull back if you're not fighting fit. Look forward to the hyper speedy you in 2015!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds like things are a little low right now but no doubt will improve with time. Hang in there and don't feel you have to be on a marathon track to contribute. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

My God......really? You're 21 next year?!:)

Take care RC. I know you'll be back and then there'll be no stopping you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Runchick

Chin up missus.

You have been a genuine inspiration to me here - in how you keep coming back at it no matter what. I know you have personal stuff not reported here on boards going on as well as the medical stuff too. Of course that will take it's toll. You may well be right about over training versus your circumstances but don't look at a lack of sessions as a step back. Look at it as time to spend enjoying the run with no pressure - enjoy the break away from life. Please don't go lurking on us. We would miss you !

In regards to your last sentence. It's not quite your situation but I had to come back from a zero base again, having put back on a pile of weight and lost the ability to even run 500m. All that due to initial injury, life in general, babies, my own laziness and complete and utter lack of motivation to run. I'm back now enjoying the running and smashing PBs all over the place in the last couple of months. There's always a way back if you give it the time and patience.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear things not going so good, better to pull back if you're not fighting fit. Look forward to the hyper speedy you in 2015!!

Thanks Deedee, how are you getting on?
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds like things are a little low right now but no doubt will improve with time. Hang in there and don't feel you have to be on a marathon track to contribute. Look after yourself.

Cheers Murph, yep hoping things pick up eventually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You love running and you're a hard worker. Of course you'll be back, fitter and faster when life lets you. Just listen to your body telling you when enough is enough until it's ready for more.

Btw all the cool people will be planning milestone birthday events in 2015 ;) Certain multi-sport events balance out the training and many find it to be more enjoyable than one sport alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Certain multi-sport events balance out the training and many find it to be more enjoyable than one sport alone...
    Oi stop recruiting :P

RedRunner wrote: »
    My God......really? You're 21 next year?!:)

Take care RC. I know you'll be back and then there'll be no stopping you.

Ah RR ya charmer, I'm grinning just like this :D
    Hi Runchick

Chin up missus.

You have been a genuine inspiration to me here - in how you keep coming back at it no matter what. I know you have personal stuff not reported here on boards going on as well as the medical stuff too. Of course that will take it's toll. You may well be right about over training versus your circumstances but don't look at a lack of sessions as a step back. Look at it as time to spend enjoying the run with no pressure - enjoy the break away from life. Please don't go lurking on us. We would miss you !

In regards to your last sentence. It's not quite your situation but I had to come back from a zero base again, having put back on a pile of weight and lost the ability to even run 500m. All that due to initial injury, life in general, babies, my own laziness and complete and utter lack of motivation to run. I'm back now enjoying the running and smashing PBs all over the place in the last couple of months. There's always a way back if you give it the time and patience.

Thanks PM, you certainly have come a long way the past few months, long may your PB smashin' continue!! The medical stuff happened as a result of the stressful stuff - I tried to outrun it but it caught me :P

You love running and you're a hard worker. Of course you'll be back, fitter and faster when life lets you. Just listen to your body telling you when enough is enough until it's ready for more.

Btw all the cool people will be planning milestone birthday events in 2015 ;) Certain multi-sport events balance out the training and many find it to be more enjoyable than one sport alone...

Jaysus, I've had 2 people trying to get me on the bike today, and now you! Still not convinced...heart's in the running :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hi Runchick. This guy was recommended to me last year when I had 'stuff' going on. I didn't have to go to him in the end but I've heard from a few different sources that he's good for overtraining issues. Only downside is it'll cost you. 120 I think for a consultation... and he's in Dublin and you're not...:( I really hope you get to the bottom of it all soon:)
    Don't stop logging!

Oi stop recruiting :P

Oi back in your box, adventure racer / mountain runner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi Runchick. This guy was recommended to me last year when I had 'stuff' going on. I didn't have to go to him in the end but I've heard from a few different sources that he's good for overtraining issues. Only downside is it'll cost you. 120 I think for a consultation... and he's in Dublin and you're not...:( I really hope you get to the bottom of it all soon:)
    Don't stop logging!

Thanks Ososlo life takes me to Dublin from time to time so I'll keep this in mind :)
    Gavlor wrote: »

U been talkin to my OH? And there was me thinking it was the women did the nagging :p

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

So sorry to hear things aren't going well RC, make sure you mind yourself first and foremost. Also please keep us posted how your getting on, as someone else said there your an inspiration to us all! Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just seeing this now RC. Hope you get sorted. Best wishes.

June summary

60 miles, 541 for the year so far.

June has been all about facing up to the fact that I have been overtrained and working out a proper recovery plan. I have been overcooked since I started this log a year ago. The HR stats told the story - increasing HR and slower pace, but I chose to ignore them. Anyway on track now for a proper recovery. Have only been running between 3 and 5 miles every other day at a low effort and already the HR is dropping considerably. I'll take that as a good sign of things moving in the right direction.

July will be more of the same, low effort stuff every second day and maybe gradually push the weekend run up to 8 or 9 miles. I'll reassess then. Must admit to really missing the long runs but can see the bigger picture now (at last!!)

• Advertisement

Good to see you back at it. Are you sure the problem was overtraining though - where is this coming from?

Runchick wrote: »
    June summary

60 miles, 541 for the year so far.

June has been all about facing up to the fact that I have been overtrained and working out a proper recovery plan. I have been overcooked since I started this log a year ago. The HR stats told the story - increasing HR and slower pace, but I chose to ignore them. Anyway on track now for a proper recovery. Have only been running between 3 and 5 miles every other day at a low effort and already the HR is dropping considerably. I'll take that as a good sign of things moving in the right direction.

July will be more of the same, low effort stuff every second day and maybe gradually push the weekend run up to 8 or 9 miles. I'll reassess then. Must admit to really missing the long runs but can see the bigger picture now (at last!!)

Good to see ya logging again RC and to hear your minding yourself. Just on keeping track of HR since I started wearing my monitor on my runs I'm realising what a valuable training tool it is, it's always bang on how I'm feeling.

Good to see you back at it. Are you sure the problem was overtraining though - where is this coming from?

Oh yep definitely overtraining - fatigue, struggling to hold any kind of pace, recurrent upper respiratory infections, high HR comparable to before, being a grump (OH has confirmed this one :p)...had it confirmed after London marathon (even though I had suggested it to GP on many many occasions before and he dismissed it :rolleyes:)...not sure running was the sole cause but that as well as other stresses burnt me out basically. Only now am I realising the difference between normal running fatigue and what I have been experiencing...I had completely lost the spring in my step. Only really understanding this now and its all falling in to place.
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    Good to see ya logging again RC and to hear your minding yourself. Just on keeping track of HR since I started wearing my monitor on my runs I'm realising what a valuable training tool it is, it's always bang on how I'm feeling.

Thanks DOCO yep the HR tracking is super - definitely keeps you honest, I tried to ignore what it was telling me for a long time, stoopid :(

July update

I think my running has finally hit rock bottom.

60 odd miles, 3 to 6 miles every other day at a snails pace.

Back to consultant - bad news - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The only good thing is I can continue the low volume/ low intensity running. HRM is a must, especially in the heat, keeping things very easy which means always walking up hills and sometimes just having to take walk breaks to keep effort low.

Taking meds to help with sleep.

Recovery period - usually 12 months if don't overdo things and rest properly. Some people recover in 6 months but can also take years. For now I'm being optimistic that I'll get away with a year or so.

That was all grand, came to terms with things, was happy that at least I could get out for the odd plod, dog was delighted as it meant she got out on every run! Some nice runs this month on a few weekends away and a family holiday last week - always nice to explore new places on the run :D

Until Sunday when I did some gardening and couldn't get up again. Back of hip aching, couldn't walk. Saw physio - basically muscles are fatigued, has led to muscle spasms and this has led to hip bone being pulled out of place - ouch! Couldn't get it back in today so have to go back next week.

Long story short, can't walk properly, never mind run.

Not one to give up though so I think I'll be hitting the pool this week, gotta keep sane somehow :rolleyes:

Think this is the end of the road (for now anyway) for this log. Just thought I'd post my experience to make people aware of what can happen and also to make anyone moaning about running in the heat, or not hitting training paces, or missing target times in races to catch themselves on and be grateful that they're out there running....lucky, lucky people :p

Oh dear, A, sorry to hear that news - not good at all. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad, and of course you have a lot on your plate with work/school/family. Stay as well as you can and keep us in the loop if you have the energy or the inclination!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Aww Runchick sorry hear about your ill health n struggles at moment , here's hoping u recover sooner rather than later, u are a real fighter n WILL get back to where u were given time. Best wishes n look after yourself x

Oh dear, A, sorry to hear that news - not good at all. Hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad, and of course you have a lot on your plate with work/school/family. Stay as well as you can and keep us in the loop if you have the energy or the inclination!

Thanks D I'll be following your Berlin build up for sure, best of luck with the rest of the training, seems all good so far :)

New runner wrote: »
    Aww Runchick sorry hear about your ill health n struggles at moment , here's hoping u recover sooner rather than later, u are a real fighter n WILL get back to where u were given time. Best wishes n look after yourself x

Hey NR thanks, great to see you posting. Was wondering how you got on in Derry?

Really sorry to read of this. You are one person I always have great respect for around here. You have a superb attitude which will stand to you in your recovery. You'll be back before you know it. At least you got to the bottom of it finally.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Really sorry to read of this. You are one person I always have great respect for around here. You have a superb attitude which will stand to you in your recovery. You'll be back before you know it. At least you got to the bottom of it finally.

Thanks Ososlo I've a feeling that when I get back in to things your name will have changed to something along the lines of speedster ;) Best of luck with your training :)

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Thanks Ososlo I've a feeling that when I get back in to things your name will have changed to something along the lines of speedster ;) Best of luck with your training :)

ha ha you never know:) Thanks so much Runchick and speedy recovery to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Very sorry to hear this, I hope you can get sorted soon. I've always enjoyed following your training, so hopefully we hear from you back here at some stage. Mind yourself.

Very sorry to hear this, I hope you can get sorted soon. I've always enjoyed following your training, so hopefully we hear from you back here at some stage. Mind yourself.

Thanks OP I see you're motoring very nicely yourself these days, great stuff smile.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck Ang, fortunately there's alot more to life than running!

Stay classy ;)

Ah Jebus A, that's not what any of us wanted to hear. I guess you are where you are and in the greater scheme of things marathon running is way down the list of priorities. At least if you can swim and do a bit of running here and there you'll be in good shape when triathlon season comes around next year ;) (no I haven't stopped - and you know you want to :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Aw, that's awful. Really sorry to hear that. Your health is your wealth though as they say so do look after yourself. You'll be sorely missed round here though. Say hello to my namesake and your OH for me and hope to meet the both of you again some time in the future.

Be sure to look in now and again and say hello :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonna advise you to drop my OH (Brianderunner) a PM - the situation sounds very similar regarding overtraining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Really sorry to hear that A. :( Hoping you get over it soon. Keep in touch here!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck Ang, fortunately there's alot more to life than running!

Stay classy ;)

Cheers Gav there's def a lot more to life (and it doesn't involve lycra ;))
    Ah Jebus A, that's not what any of us wanted to hear. I guess you are where you are and in the greater scheme of things marathon running is way down the list of priorities. At least if you can swim and do a bit of running here and there you'll be in good shape when triathlon season comes around next year ;) (no I haven't stopped - and you know you want to :D)

You're not gonna give up are ya :p
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Aw, that's awful. Really sorry to hear that. Your health is your wealth though as they say so do look after yourself. You'll be sorely missed round here though. Say hello to my namesake and your OH for me and hope to meet the both of you again some time in the future.

Be sure to look in now and again and say hello :)

Thanks so much RR and best of luck with DCM, I'll be checking in on your progress :)
    Gonna advise you to drop my OH (Brianderunner) a PM - the situation sounds very similar regarding overtraining.

Will do - a good news story I hope - fully recovered and back running???
    blockic wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that A. :( Hoping you get over it soon. Keep in touch here!

Hey blocky thanks mate, sounds like you're well on the road back to your old self, delighted for ya :D

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear this RC, really do wish you all the best with everything and I've no doubt we will see ya back here stronger than ever. All the best with everything and mind yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Although this is my first time posting I've been following your blog for quite a while and always admired your courage in fighting against illness ,injuries etc. as well as looking after young children. Like others I'm sorry your running has to be curtailed due to this but keep strong and you'll get over it with time.
    I myself have just sent in my entry for the Dublin marathon and god willing I'll be plodding the streets of Dublin for the National Half next Monday as well and believe me when your into the eight decade it doesn't come any easier I can tell you.
    Run Chick best of luck with everything in the future and keep writing and hopefully you'll be back running again very soon, as the saying goes 'When the going gets tough the tough get going'

DOCO12 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear this RC, really do wish you all the best with everything and I've no doubt we will see ya back here stronger than ever. All the best with everything and mind yourself x

Aw thanks DOCO wish I had half your talent for this running lark, you're flying at the mo, I've a feeling you'll smash the DCM target this year :)

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Although this is my first time posting I've been following your blog for quite a while and always admired your courage in fighting against illness ,injuries etc. as well as looking after young children. Like others I'm sorry your running has to be curtailed due to this but keep strong and you'll get over it with time.
    I myself have just sent in my entry for the Dublin marathon and god willing I'll be plodding the streets of Dublin for the National Half next Monday as well and believe me when your into the eight decade it doesn't come any easier I can tell you.
    Run Chick best of luck with everything in the future and keep writing and hopefully you'll be back running again very soon, as the saying goes 'When the going gets tough the tough get going'

Hi Fieldsman what a cool post, has really made me smile. I always had lofty running goals at the back of my mind but now have a new one - I really, really hope that some day I can say I've entered DCM in my eighth decade, much respect to you, best of luck with it and thank you for your positivity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck with your recovery, I have no doubt you will conquer this.

So 4 months after stopping all running, getting well rested, sorting out other life stuff I'm slowly getting back in to things.

Starting slow jogging about 8 weeks ago, being very mindful of HR and how tired I was after. I've slowly built things up and am now running 3 days a week about 12 miles in total. Body is responding well and energy levels are good. Its gonna be a slow road back but I'm determined to keep on the road. Tried swimming and cycling for a while - I'm actually a much better swimmer than runner but passion is in the running.

All runs are all early morning which is bliss! Have been doing core work 3 times a week too on non-running days. Hoping to get up to 20 mpw by Christmas and then take it from there. Not sure about racing next year. Will try introducing speedwork after Christmas and see how the body responds. Easy running all the way for now...I'm hoping that logging progress here will keep me honest and allow me to see any progress even if it is slow. Hardest thing for me is not comparing old training and adapting to the new fitness - or lack of. Starting from scratch I suppose. Any advice welcome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Brilliant to see you back and good luck with it!

Check out Ecolis continuity training thread here for getting back to some speed after Christmas if you decide to

Brilliant to see you back and good luck with it!

Check out Ecolis continuity training thread here for getting back to some speed after Christmas if you decide to

Fab thanks OP, one for the bookmark for sure :)

Welcome back, A. Look forward to following your progress again!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Welcome back! Great hear u back n in good form. Looking forward to following your journey getting back to and beyond your previous form. Best luck with your continuing training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Yay you're back :D:D:D:D

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement