Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great news. Good luck getting back into the swing of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Tue - 4 miles, Thur 3.5 miles, both first thing and slightly longer than last week. Pace around 10.30.

Sun - 6 miles, longest weekend run for a while, felt good, kept HR down, v enjoyable apart from the abuse from classy locals on their way home from night before :rolleyes:

13.5 miles for the week and 3 core sessions. Slowly increasing things, tempted to add another day but might hold off for a week or 2. Just glad to be running regularly again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to see you back and that things are going well for you!!!

Tues - 4.4 miles easy
    Thur 4.5 miles easy
    Sun - 6.5 miles easy

Just over 15 miles this week and 3 core sessions. The running is feeling easier - not tiring me as much and its getting easier to keep the HR down. Have been keeping an eye on resting HR which had creeped up to nearly 60 at one stage! Now sitting between 49 and 51 so def getting fitter. Having to be patient but gonna get back on track slowly. Reading race reports here makes me want to get out there racing again but for now its all about base building.

Have been fatigued this week but thankfully not from running - kids birthdays, sleepover parties (anyone who thinks kids sleep at these things must be as naive as I was!), silly work commitments...aaagghh! Hopefully next week will be less crazy and might add another running day, just an easy 2 or 3 miler...

Another busy week but got 3 runs in just about

Tues - planned 4.5m easy but got home, realised had dropped keys so had to retrace steps back to find them, luckily enough they were lying on a trail path, round trip was over 8 miles. Walked part of it looking for the dam keys so we'll call it 6.5m easy
    Thur - 4.2 m easy, through local trails, love these winter runs
    Sun - long, long, weekend full of kids Christmas stuff and then kids sport on Sunday - finally got out at 4pm, was tired and really didn't enjoy this run which is unusual for me, bit of a slog and not feeling great today. 6.3m easy.

17 miles for the week.

Was gonna aim for 20m this week then step back next week but will see how I'm feeling and maybe swap that. Sensible recovery all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good stuff, mind yourself. This time of year is so busy and with work, kids etc Don't stress about the miles at the moment , just enjoy it. Great you are back out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

And hide those keys in a bush near the house next time! :)

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Good stuff, mind yourself. This time of year is so busy and with work, kids etc Don't stress about the miles at the moment , just enjoy it. Great you are back out there.
    Hey Sam sage advice there, you're right it's just good to be out again, a welcome break from the craziness :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    And hide those keys in a bush near the house next time! :)

Haha murph yes still not sure what possessed me to carry them and not put them in a zipped pocket :confused:

Sick mon - wed, knew things weren't right last weekend! Out for a 2 mile jog on Thur to test things - still not 100%, but feeling much better yesterday. 3.5 miles easy Sat and 5 miles easy this morning. I'll call this a step back week and push on next week. Oh and 2 core sessions - normally do 3 but happy enough with this. Used to hate doing this stuff but am really enjoying it now.

Might start adding a fartlek session to a run a week in the new year and see how that goes. This low HR stuff is fine but we'll see what happens when I start pushing things a bit.

Happy Christmas to all, may santa be good to you :D

Tue - 4.2 miles easy
    Wed - 5.1 miles easy - running past loads of last minute panicking christmas shoppers, feeling bloody fantastic, thinking christmas has come early :D

Wanted to run again Christmas day but thought 3 consecutive days would be silly so the dog got a nice walk that morning instead

Sat - 7.5 miles easy - longest run since starting back, really wanted to go further but stayed sensible
    Sun - 4.4 easy frosty miles this morning

4 runs, 3 core sessions, 21 miles for the week and feeling blooming great. If someone had told me half way through the year that I could end the year feeling this good I wouldn't have believed them. Roll on 2015 :D

Now off west for a hotel break, time in the pool and hopefully a nice run or 2 along the beach, life is good :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like you're building :) Great post, had me rearing to go too :D:D All the best for 2015!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice way to end the year, on a positive note! Enjoy the break.

Delighted for you! Enjoy the break!

Tue - 5.2 miles easy beach running, nice :cool:
    Wed - 6.3 lovely easy miles through trails to end off the year.

In running terms oh boy am I glad to see the back of 2014. I managed 758 miles through a haze of burnout/ illness/ fatigue....eeeugh. I ran London marathon (when I probably shouldn't have but had fun plodding around) but that was it. Haven't done anything close to a session since June and ended up taking about 3 months off completely....

However, I've learned the lesson, I've found my limits and things are looking up. I'm starting to feel like my old self, and most importantly am really enjoying my running these days. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger eh!

The year ahead will be a much smarter year. Likely plan is continue the slow base building, step back every 4th week. No racing before Easter and hopefully run a few 5 and 10ks then a half towards the end of the year. Hopefully reach this time next year fit, healthy, strong and ready for a 2016 spring marathon. Let's see how it goes :)

happy new year to all boardsies, may 2015 bring you running happiness :D

Great to see you making good progress RC. Hoping to join you on the slow base build in the new year ! :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great to see you making good progress RC. Hoping to join you on the slow base build in the new year ! :)

Aw thanks RR here's hoping for a good running year ahead for us both :D

Worst hangover ever thur and fri, a 2 day hangover wtf !

Sat - 8.2 miles easy LSR. easy pace around 10.30 these days but felt good so added a steady mile towards the end at 9.19.
    Sun - 4.1 miles very easy

23 miles for the week, 4 runs, 3 core sessions, feeling great. RHR 47 and energy levels better than they have been for a long time. Will add a bit of fartlek over the next week or 2 and then plan to start the plan on the graduate thread. The comeback continues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi runchick,

You might have seen it already but in case you haven't I thought you might be interested in a post that was made on the graduate thread about following the plan. It's which days to include or leave out depending on whether you intend to do 3/4/5 days of it etc, might be of interest to you whenever you do start it. Can't post a link to it right now but it was on the 23/11.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi runchick,

You might have seen it already but in case you haven't I thought you might be interested in a post that was made on the graduate thread about following the plan. It's which days to include or leave out depending on whether you intend to do 3/4/5 days of it etc, might be of interest to you whenever you do start it. Can't post a link to it right now but it was on the 23/11.

Brilliant Laura, I'll have a look, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Tue - 4.7m very easy - middle child had been ill for a few days, nothing bad but lots of waking during the night so I was knackered and considered not running. Took it very handy and all was good in the end.

Thu - 5.3m easy with strides. Decided its time to add a little bit of pace so opted for 6 x 30 sec fast with 45 sec recoveries. Aim was comfortably hard, paces came out between 7 and 8 min/m (depending on the wind and hills) and this felt good. Hard to imagine holding that pace for a race though :eek:

Sat - 9m LSR - longest run in ages and felt surprisingly strong, despite the stupid headwind on the return journey.

Sun - 5.1m easy - handy plod with the dog.

Overall 24 miles, 2 core sessions and a good week. Easy running is all done by heart rate and the pace is increasing slightly each week. Felt the strides in my legs on Friday - will take a while for the legs to get used to this stuff again. Step back week ahead then gonna start the graduate plan. I'll stick to 4 days a week. The easy runs will be shorter than what I have been doing so hoping that'll compensate for the introduction of the sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff RC. Great to see you getting back into the swing of things :D

When I'm doing strides I walk the recoveries back to where I start and it could take 2 x 3 times as long as the strides themselves. 45 sec recovery seems very short to me. I would increase that for the time being and when you get used to doing the fast stuff again you can shorten them. At the moment you're trying to increase muscle fibre recruitment so a short recovery time is not much benefit to you and creates an additional stress. This is a good article that explains it better: http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/12/10/understanding-muscle-fibres-and-running

Good stuff RC. Great to see you getting back into the swing of things :D

When I'm doing strides I walk the recoveries back to where I start and it could take 2 x 3 times as long as the strides themselves. 45 sec recovery seems very short to me. I would increase that for the time being and when you get used to doing the fast stuff again you can shorten them. At the moment you're trying to increase muscle fibre recruitment so a short recovery time is not much benefit to you and creates an additional stress. This is a good article that explains it better: http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/12/10/understanding-muscle-fibres-and-running

Thanks for that CM, makes sense and I was wondering about the recovery, explains the heavy legs next day too. Will make it 90 secs next time :)

Triathlete articles eh? I really hope we don't lose ya to the dark side :p

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Welcome back Runchic and good to hear your wearing the tar of the road again. Reading about your mishap with keys brought a wry smile on my face. During last year I decided to have a run in a forested area that I don't frequent to often. I parked the car outside the gate and then put my keys in the pocket of a tracksuit bottom and then hid same at the back of a large tree and proceeded to run through the wood for a few miles only to discover on returning the tracksuit with keys were not to be found. Long story short as I didn't have spare keys I had to wait for almost a week to get a spare one and fearing my car would be vandalised while parked there,
    Hope you took that trip to the West (no place like it) and hopefully you will have a trouble free year ahead. As for myself I'm still running a bit with a 8k locally this weekend, then maybe the Raheny 5 and I've my entry in for the Ballycotton 10 in early March. Nothing like going to the extreme parts of the country now and again and yes I've been up north a few times as well. Keep on running

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Welcome back Runchic and good to hear your wearing the tar of the road again. Reading about your mishap with keys brought a wry smile on my face. During last year I decided to have a run in a forested area that I don't frequent to often. I parked the car outside the gate and then put my keys in the pocket of a tracksuit bottom and then hid same at the back of a large tree and proceeded to run through the wood for a few miles only to discover on returning the tracksuit with keys were not to be found. Long story short as I didn't have spare keys I had to wait for almost a week to get a spare one and fearing my car would be vandalised while parked there,
    Hope you took that trip to the West (no place like it) and hopefully you will have a trouble free year ahead. As for myself I'm still running a bit with a 8k locally this weekend, then maybe the Raheny 5 and I've my entry in for the Ballycotton 10 in early March. Nothing like going to the extreme parts of the country now and again and yes I've been up north a few times as well. Keep on running

Hey Fieldsman, those damn keys! Had a fab trip west thanks, always nice to run in new places :) Glad you are still running, did you run DCM last year? Thanks for your message - a trouble free year would be bliss, here's hoping! Best of luck with your races :)

Not much to report this week, step back week:

Tue - 3.4m easy with 1m tempo - decided to push the HR up for a mile. Normally keep it well below 150 which is a pace around 10/ 10.30 min/m, let it max out at 162 for this mile, pace was 8.49.

Thu - 3 miles easy - gale force winds and more like resistance training than jogging!

Sat - 6m LSR - enjoyed this, love running in the snow!

Was planning a few miles this morning but woke feeling congested, sore ear and had a lie in instead of a run :p Kids and OH have all had similar symptoms all week - lots of wakeful nights too, so not surprised although I do panic a bit when I get sick as that was a big sign of overtraining for me last year. Will see how things pan out this week - have a crazy Monday and Tuesday ahead work-wise so might not run until Wednesday. Probably not a bad thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hi Runchick,
    I've just read your log and have to say you're some woman for one woman! I have such admiration for your resilience. I know if I'd had to put up with a fraction of what you've had to deal with, I'd have curled up on the sofa permanently long ago with a giant bar of Tiffin. Wishing you all the best for your comeback and looking forward to following your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to see things going well for you again runchick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »

+1

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hi Runchick,
    I've just read your log and have to say you're some woman for one woman! I have such admiration for your resilience. I know if I'd had to put up with a fraction of what you've had to deal with, I'd have curled up on the sofa permanently long ago with a giant bar of Tiffin. Wishing you all the best for your comeback and looking forward to following your progress.

Aw you poor thing reading all my tales of woe! Thanks BG but having read about your XC shenanigans I doubt you'd be on the sofa for long :)
    blockic wrote: »

Cheers blocky, it's great to be back...well jealous of your Aussie adventures, enjoy :)
    +1

Thanks AMK :)

First week of the graduate plan for me. Can't run Mondays or Tuesdays for the forseeable future so have to make my running days Wed, Thu, Sat and Sun. Can't fit in the hill reps so for now am just sticking to a session, a long run and 2 easy runs. Think that's plenty for now considering where I'm at anyway.

Wed - plan 45 mins easy, actual 4.4m in 46 mins HR 145, very icy trail paths but enjoyable run

Thu - plan 5 x 2mins @5k pace with 3 min recovery, actual 5.7m including 5 x 2mins @ 5k - wasn't sure what 5k pace is anymore but pretty sure I can judge the effort so didn't clock watch. Was slippy out again, took first one easy, 4th one had to slow because of ice and last one put the foot down a bit, all reflected in the splits 8.13, 7.53, 7.35, 8.14, 7.04. 3 min recovery was loads.

Sat - plan 90min LSR, actual 8.5m in 89 mins HR 148. Felt tired for this as had only done session Thursday evening. RHR was a bit elevated but was the only chance to get it in. Found it harder than normal to keep HR in easy range.

Sun - plan 45 mins easy, actual 4.5m in 46 mins HR 144 - good sleep last night and HR back to normal.

Next week will be Wed - session, Thu - easy, Sat - LSR, Sun easy - this should allow for enough recovery between session and LR. Great to be back with a plan :D

• Advertisement

Be careful on these icy paths! I fell at Xmas while out on a 3 mile run which I should have postpone and now im out injuried with knee trouble. It was nt worth it so be careful please!

Be careful on these icy paths! I fell at Xmas while out on a 3 mile run which I should have postpone and now im out injuried with knee trouble. It was nt worth it so be careful please!

I know Sam the weather has been so dodgy for running, at least it's a bit milder now, hope you get back out soon :)

I didn't have a good Dublin marathon at all,got very tired after 17 miles and finished up taking over 5 hours to do it. 50 mins slower than 2012 ouch.Done the Tuam 5 mile and Raheny 5 mile over the last two weekends both in 43 mins. I might up the training mileage from now on hoping to break 90 mins (91 mins last year) in Ballycotton 10 and in the meantime we've National masters cross-country in Tuam early February

I didn't have a good Dublin marathon at all,got very tired after 17 miles and finished up taking over 5 hours to do it. 50 mins slower than 2012 ouch.Done the Tuam 5 mile and Raheny 5 mile over the last two weekends both in 43 mins. I might up the training mileage from now on hoping to break 90 mins (91 mins last year) in Ballycotton 10 and in the meantime we've National masters cross-country in Tuam early February

Your experience of DCM sounds very similar to a lot of folk around here, bit of a nightmare day by all accounts :( Well done on the 5 milers, its a distance I've never raced so might target it later in the year for a guaranteed PB! Your running is very impressive Fieldsman, inspiring stuff at your stage in life. Have you always been a runner? Best of luck with the next goals :)

Weekly update time:

Tues : 2m recovery @ 11.20 HR 132, so I can't run on Tuesdays but do have a small window to walk the dog early in the morning so thought a very gentle jog would do no harm, mind you didn't bring a torch and had to use memory to find the path half the time

Wed: Plan 60 mins with 20 min tempo. Easy pace for me is keeping HR in 140's so figured tempo would be in the 160's. Only ran to effort, not looking at pace and was hoping to be under 9 min/m. Felt comfortable although toward the end had to slow to keep in HR range. Was pleased to see 20 mins @ 8.20 ish pace. 2.4m in 25 mins, 2.4m in 20 mins, 1.45m cool down in 15 mins. Enjoyed that, nice to add a bit of pace again.

Thu: Plan 45 mins easy. Kids school was closed, OH worked from home, we were snowed in but I couldn't resist a nosey around the local trails. Headed off in thick snow - literally higher than my shoes, and trundled round the local trails. It was really pretty and regretted not having a camera. Had to walk through the slushy, slippy bits but managed to cover 4.5m in 49 mins. HR 146.

Sat: Plan 90min LSR. Headed off in gale force winds and from the first mile really didn't enjoy this run. The wind was in my face at every turn and I just wasn't feeling the love. Grinded it out and was just thankful I'm not marathon training and out there for twice as long! 8.9m in 91 mins HR 147.

That was the end of Jan - 93 miles which is more than Jan last year when I had a marathon to train for! That says it all really. The past year has been a disaster but this one is looking up already :D

Sun: Plan 45 mins easy. Paths were glistening white this morning and plenty of black ice around so was very careful with the footing. Really love these runs though, good end to the week. 4.5m in 47 mins HR 142.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Definitely getting the form back there Runchick! Delighted for ya!!!!

Great stuff, delighted your come back is going smoothly! Enjoy.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Definitely getting the form back there Runchick! Delighted for ya!!!!

Thanks O so far so good, must say enjoying your exploits, I think excellent things are to come for you this year :D
    Great stuff, delighted your come back is going smoothly! Enjoy.

Thanks Sam it feels good to be back - a feeling you will be enjoying soon enough I bet :)

Great stuff with the tempo section there A!:)

Has been an ok week running wise but crazy life stuff has got in the way a bit, still not too bad:

Tues: 2.1m @ 11.30 recovery HR 127 - keeping this extremely easy, letting the dog stop loads, too soon to be adding a 5th day but reckon no harm in sneaking this in

Wed - 5 x 3mins @ 5k pace - 2 mile warm up then in to these, felt extremely strong at this pace, much better than I expected actually, mind you still appreciated the 3 min recoveries but had plenty left in the tank at the end. Splits 7.43, 7.36. 7.57 (uphill), 7.35, 7.45. Happy with this, getting better at consistency. 6 miles total.

Thu - plan 45 mins easy - really early start for this and felt a bit tired so took it super easy covering 4.4m in 47 mins. HR 142.

Sat - plan 90 min LSR - a week of late nights, some family dramas and falling behind on absolutely everything (house, study, work) wasn't sure I'd get out at all. Throat starting to get sore too but was meeting a friend for part of the run so went along for the social part, ran a few miles with her, a few on my own and just felt tired so stopped after 70 mins. 6.5m in 70mins HR 146 - wise move - runchick of old would have finished 90 mins regardless of anything :rolleyes:

Sun - plan 45 mins easy - a glass of red to unwind last night turned in to a few resulting in sleeping in and only having a 35 min window to run before OH had to go out. Managed 3.4m in 34 mins, HR 144 - felt surprisingly spritely, legs are raring to go these days!

That's a 3 week build so I'm gonna step back this week. Graduate plan steps back every 5th week but it suits my body clock to do it every 4th (ladies will get this :rolleyes:). Suits life stuff also. Must admit really enjoying training and getting kind of excited about racing again :D

• Advertisement

Nice to see Spring again and as we've more daylight now I'm sure runners have a spring in the step as well. Runchic I admire all your forward planning not to mention all those accurate times you keep of training runs so I presume you must have one of them GPS watches. I got one of them many years but alas it packed up sometime during last year. It seems someone must have heard my sad stories about it as good old Santa brought me a brand new Garmin 10 at Christmas, Its less than half the size of the old one and twice as good but of course they don't make you run any faster. I had a go at the National Masters xcountry last Sunday, no slouchers there just all serious runners but it was nice to meet a lot of old friends and many familiar faces. I hope all is well for you and we look forward to your reports in the weeks ahead.
    Like you I'm planning ahead too as I've a ten mile race down in East Cork early in March so for the next few weeks it's 30/35 MPW until then.

Nice to see Spring again and as we've more daylight now I'm sure runners have a spring in the step as well. Runchic I admire all your forward planning not to mention all those accurate times you keep of training runs so I presume you must have one of them GPS watches. I got one of them many years but alas it packed up sometime during last year. It seems someone must have heard my sad stories about it as good old Santa brought me a brand new Garmin 10 at Christmas, Its less than half the size of the old one and twice as good but of course they don't make you run any faster. I had a go at the National Masters xcountry last Sunday, no slouchers there just all serious runners but it was nice to meet a lot of old friends and many familiar faces. I hope all is well for you and we look forward to your reports in the weeks ahead.
    Like you I'm planning ahead too as I've a ten mile race down in East Cork early in March so for the next few weeks it's 30/35 MPW until then.

Hey Fieldsman yeah the number checking keeps me honest. Don't pay too much attention to anything but effort when running but its good to look at the numbers after. I started ignoring this stuff last year when it wasn't telling me what I wanted to see and ran myself into the ground...not something I want to go through again. Hope you like the Garmin 10 - had one of those a few years back and really liked it.

Sounds like you're motoring well and enjoying it too! Best of luck with the 10 miler :D

Last week was a step back and an old running partner of mine is just getting back in the swing of things after a baby so was the perfect time to go jogging with her.

Wed - session day so ran around 5 miles in 50 mins with 20 mins of fartlek. Fun. HR 150

Thu - 3m in 33 mins with friend - she needed 2 walk breaks and got a stitch - I felt like I was out for a walk. HR 127

Sat - 7.2m in 75 mins. HR 145. Quite a hilly route partly through trails, could have ran for hours, fab run.

Sun - 3.5m in 38 mins with friend - she only needed one walk break- its amazing how quickly she's getting back into it. HR 137.

Weeks ahead includes some MP running - no clue what that should be so am guessing running to effort - keeping HR sub 160?

Always forget to post core work but generally do 3 sessions a week (sometimes 2) - strength and stretching routine for 30 mins - mostly stolen from pilates classes last year. 4 year old likes to join in and copy me, quite cute until he decides that I've been planking for long enough and jumps on my back to stop me, oh the joys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Runchick wrote: »
    4 year old likes to join in and copy me, quite cute until he decides that I've been planking for long enough and jumps on my back to stop me, oh the joys :rolleyes:

Stop, I can't go near the foam roller when my 3 year old is around. Either it's suddenly essential for whatever game she's playing or she jumps on to give a bit of extra resistance. It's also covered in stickers :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good few days' running - nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

If you have a look at the graduate plan you're following there's a page on the tracker sheet named hr calculation or something like that. If you put in your max hr details it'll work out the ranges for the m-effort, tempos, easy etc

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Stop, I can't go near the foam roller when my 3 year old is around. Either it's suddenly essential for whatever game she's playing or she jumps on to give a bit of extra resistance. It's also covered in stickers :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good few days' running - nice one!

Haha BG yeah the kids get much more 'use' out of the foam roller than I do :eek: Not sure how we've avoided the stickers - they're on everything else in the house!!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    If you have a look at the graduate plan you're following there's a page on the tracker sheet named hr calculation or something like that. If you put in your max hr details it'll work out the ranges for the m-effort, tempos, easy etc

Good stuff laura, doing things a bit makey upey at the mo so prob an idea to check it out :)

What a week - kids off school, OH travelling with work, managed a few runs but think I've used up all my babysitting favours for a while!

Tue - plan 60 mins with 30mins @ MP. Had a check with the graduate thread and MP effort for me is up to 160bpm so ran according to this. Steep climb in third mile killed the pace here but effort stayed same. MP splits 9.09, 9.05, 9.29, 9.15 for last bit. Found it easy to dial in this pace, nice steady effort but nothing too taxing, enjoyable wee jaunt. 6.2m covered.

Thu - plan 45 mins easy - actual 4.6m in 49 mins HR 138. Stop/start effort running with kids on bikes and the dog through local trails.

Fri - plan 90 mins LSR. Opportunity for a long run presented itself late afternoon so I grabbed it instead of a 6.30am start next day. Covered 8.95 miles in 92 mins, HR 148. Felt grand except for getting tired by the last mile. Sore throat that evening and not feeling great :(

Sun - plan 45 mins easy. Spent the morning cheering on my 2 girls mountain bike racing in the pouring rain - what a mud bath! Got home teeth chattering, put on running gear and met a friend for a 4 mile run - more rain and mud and cold. Hardly ideal so hopefully no major sickness develops. 4m in 44 mins HR 140.

Long run due to go up to 100 mins this week but will only increase it if I'm feeling good. Last official week of winter - yipppeeee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fingers crossed your throat will be ok. Great to see you coming back to your best.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed your throat will be ok. Great to see you coming back to your best.

+1;)

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    RedRunner wrote: »
    +1;)

Thanks you 2, I panic a bit when sickness strikes but generally I'm a lot healthier and less fatigued than I was last year so moving in the right direction, trick will be keeping it that way!

Advertisement