Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Happy birthday, great to see a clear run of training ;) and congrats on the illness-free run!* (Any tips?!)

*weak puns intended :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Happy birthday, great to see a clear run of training ;) and congrats on the illness-free run!* (Any tips?!)

*weak puns intended :o

I'd suffer through weeks of illness for one of your performances DG!

Runchick wrote: »
    I'd suffer through weeks of illness for one of your performances DG!

Haha, nononono...consistency ;):D

Sat - 7.1m in 72 mins HR 144. All I had time for yesterday and tbh all I wanted with the ridiculous weather!! Thank goodness for a step back week! Have been feeling tired this week so have decided to pull back the effort on easy runs. Usually allow HR to sit at 150 or a bit over towards the end but am going to bring it back closer to 140 and slow things down. Just because I can run easy runs at that effort doesn't mean I should right? Hoping a few weeks of this will deal with the tiredness as my guess is its cumulative fatigue from the steady base-building.

No running today so that's it for the week. Limerick marathon today, exactly 2 years since I DNFed and my running problems began. Its taken until now to work out the issues and take the right steps to recover. 2 bloody years! Ah well I don't really care how long it takes. I love running and want to run for many years to come so I'll keep plugging away and hopefully continue to progress. The recent addition of so many inspiring ladies around here has been a great boost to the forum and shows what is possible - keep up the good work ladies :)

That's the spirit :) I love the title of raycun's log 'festina lente'...hasten slowly.
    You have shown two years of complete perseverance and dedication, god knows how many times you've been knocked back...and you're still here! That is award-winning in itself...you are bloody amazing :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    That's the spirit :) I love the title of raycun's log 'festina lente'...hasten slowly.
    You have shown two years of complete perseverance and dedication, god knows how many times you've been knocked back...and you're still here! That is award-winning in itself...you are bloody amazing :)

Jaysus any slower and I'd be going backwards! Just stubborn and pig-headed but thanks for the vote of confidence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I think you've done really well to get back to where you are now. Two years is nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

+1 fair play to you for not giving in!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Belated birthday wishes Runchick,hope the candles don't cost as much as mine !! Glad to hear your getting a bit of decent running and injury free. I didn't start running until the second half of my life ?? and that's a long time ago.
    I would advise you join a club, our one here has a very good website and for a cheap subscription they give us free entry to all AI events,very cheap gear and I think one good race keep us well funded for the year.
    Last night was our second 5K in the series and the rain just about held off. I got slightly better last evening 26 43. I'm now looking forward to Cork and for the record its thirty one years ago since my last race in that city and I have lots of memories of that weekend. Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dub13 wrote: »
    Right looking for a bit of advice. I am a boards DCM14 novice graduate. As it was my first marathon I went mad for the getting the miles in and the LSR, I think I had from June to Oct six 20 mile runs and two 22 mile done. I did the BAA Intermediate and had 894 miles in the 18 weeks. Here is my race report.

So after DCM14 I was still motoring along, in 2015 I have averaged about 40/45 miles a week. About 7/8 weeks ago I decided to do the Belfast Marathon just to see where the fitness is and if I could maintain splits for the lot and not have a huge fall off. So I stuck in only two 20 mile LSR's the thinking been I could have over trained for Dublin.

So up in Belfast on Monday and nearly the same thing happened again, I was targeting 5:25/5:30 per Km. All was going to plan till the 27th KM then the drop off starts, in Dublin the drop off starts around the 33k mark. I ended up finishing in 4:02. In Dublin I came through the half point @ 1:53 so about 2 min up on target, in Belfast I was bang on at the half way @1:55.

So can anybody recommend something here, its good to get fresh eyes on your training so I am open to suggestions. I plan on doing DCM15 so my thoughts are starting to turn to that and I hope the same thing does not happen again. Maybe I am overthinking this and its just more experience I need. I am looking forward to working on the shorter distances till I go into another marathon plan in July.

Here are my stats for both.

Dublin
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/621799455

Belfast
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/765833352

hijack1200173212.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

hijack1200173212.gif

Haha, I had this open and posted it by mistake. I will delete it now.

hijack1200173212.gif

Weird stuff on boards today! I need to keep a tighter eye around here!

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Belated birthday wishes Runchick,hope the candles don't cost as much as mine !! Glad to hear your getting a bit of decent running and injury free. I didn't start running until the second half of my life ?? and that's a long time ago.
    I would advise you join a club, our one here has a very good website and for a cheap subscription they give us free entry to all AI events,very cheap gear and I think one good race keep us well funded for the year.
    Last night was our second 5K in the series and the rain just about held off. I got slightly better last evening 26 43. I'm now looking forward to Cork and for the record its thirty one years ago since my last race in that city and I have lots of memories of that weekend. Regards

Hey Fieldsman congrats on the 5K:) Not long until Cork now, looking forward to hearing how you get on! Yes the club thing is looking like the way to go. Have 2 options locally but won't be able to make the training nights before September so plan to join one then. Yours sounds fab!

Tue - did my last exam on Tuesday morning and decided to celebrate with a nice long run! 12m in just under 2 hours, HR 145. Making an effort this week to keep HR a bit lower. Happy with these long runs as I'm not feeling as tired after. It wasn't that long ago when a 90 min run had me exhausted.

Wed - 5.3m in 53 mins, HR 142. Nice easy plod with OH and the dog. PM 1.5 hours MTBing - loving this!

Thu - 5.6m in 56mins with 8 x 17 sec strides, HR 143. Enjoyed this, must try hill sprints one of these weeks.

Sat - 6.5m including a parkrun, 3.1m @ 8.07. Bit annoyed with myself about this one. Hoped to run sub 8 pace but gave in to the demons and once the pace slipped I gave up when really I should have dug in and got the job done. HR stats show I wasn't any where near hard effort. Ah well, another one chalked down to experience and an important lesson learned - I will never run a goal race at that time in the month :rolleyes: I'll go back in a few weeks and give it another go.

Sun - 5.6m in 56 mins, HR 144. Nice easy run to christen new runners. Tried a few other brands in store this time just to be sure, but in the end realised nothing fits me as well as the mizunos. Wave inspire 11's - perfect and so comfortable straight out of the box.

35 miles for the week

Mon - 1 hour MTBing - getting a bit addicted to this - some buzz even with gale force winds :cool:

Tue - early start and couldn't decide whether or not to go when the alarm went off, ended up going but only had time for a shorter one than usual. 4.2m in 42 mins HR 146. Of course going is ALWAYS the best option!

Wed - session day. 5 x 5mins @ 5k effort, 3 min recoveries. Was dreading this as felt sluggish and tired, even during the warm up. First 2 were a bit of a slog and I thought about only doing 3 but something changed half way through the 3rd rep and I felt strong and comfortable again - tired a bit on the last one but was happy with this in the end. Splits 7.54, 7.52, 7.44, 7.44, 7.46. 8 miles total with warm up and cool down HR 156.

Thur - 5.5m in 55 mins including 6 x 17 sec strides. Another early run and was tired.

Away for the weekend so wasn't even sure if I'd get running but managed a bit although very mindful that I've been tired and got very little sleep all weekend. Always great to explore a new place on foot though.

Sat - 5.1m in 52 mins HR 150 - 2 hours sleep the night before but kept it very easy. Followed by 1 hour MTBing - new trails, plenty of climbing and rocky descents - class craic!!

Sun - Long run day, usually try to do 12 miles but that was never gonna happen. Managed 8m in 79 mins HR 146.

Happy enough, over 30 miles for the week. The week ahead will involve more running but more importantly plenty of early nights....starting now zzzzzzz

• Advertisement

Hi Runchic good to see your getting in the miles in of late,upwards and onward from now. Last week wasn't a very good week for me partly due to the weather and my daughter first communion in Tipperary didn't help either.Oh and there was a football match on Sunday cancelled another day.
    Only 27 mins dead for last weeks 5K though a bit better last night 26 36, just 2 more races left in the series. I'm also looking forward to the Cork half marathon and I've a weeks holiday booked in Sorrento in the middle of June.for people who didn't learn their Italian geography very well imagine Italy is a leg then Sorrento is down in the shin bone part of it, just above where you tie the shoe lace !!
    When I'm running in Cork my daughter will be running the women's mini marathon and perhaps you'll be there as well. I have a long run planned for today or tomorrow so here goes.

Hi Runchic good to see your getting in the miles in of late,upwards and onward from now. Last week wasn't a very good week for me partly due to the weather and my daughter first communion in Tipperary didn't help either.Oh and there was a football match on Sunday cancelled another day.
    Only 27 mins dead for last weeks 5K though a bit better last night 26 36, just 2 more races left in the series. I'm also looking forward to the Cork half marathon and I've a weeks holiday booked in Sorrento in the middle of June.for people who didn't learn their Italian geography very well imagine Italy is a leg then Sorrento is down in the shin bone part of it, just above where you tie the shoe lace !!
    When I'm running in Cork my daughter will be running the women's mini marathon and perhaps you'll be there as well. I have a long run planned for today or tomorrow so here goes.

Hey Fieldsman good work on the 5ks! I believe Sorrento is a beautiful part of the world, maybe you'll get to explore on the run, great way to discover new places I find! No WMM for me but am signed up for a 10k a few weeks later so looking forward to that. I hope Cork goes well for you. What time are you hoping for?

Not a great week running wise, only 2 runs:(

Mon - 1 hr MTBing

Tue - only time for a run is 6am but was still tired from the weekend so hit snooze instead

Wed - session was 72 mins with 36 mins at MP so decided to run 3m easy, 4 @ MP and 1 easy cd. I love MP sessions. I find it so easy to find that pace and stay there. Nothing too taxing but feeling strong and controlled. I did this session in Feb with 3m @ MP and the pace was around 9.15. This time (keeping HR the same) average pace was around 8.57 so delighted with the progress. Total 8.2m @ 9.30 HR 156.

Wed PM - 2 hrs MTBing - not ideal to do this on session day but felt fine.

Fri - 6m in an hour with 4 x 15 sec strides. Felt a bit tired so only did 4 strides.

Sat and Sun - no running. A blocked ear turned into an ear infection so feeling a bit under the weather. Hoping the antibiotics will do their magic in a day or 2 and hopefully will get back on the road soon. Has been a crazy week with other stuff so the rest is probably much needed anyway. Was hoping to parkrun next weekend but will see how I'm feeling closer to the time.

Hi RC Yes the half in Cork is around the corner now. I'd be happy enough with something less than 2 11 that would be 10 minute miles though I done 1 51 four years ago in Waterford. It seems a bit of erosion has taken place since. We had another of the 5K's last evening in a new venue which is the runway of a now rarely used airport. It was lovely and flat so it will probably 'take off' as everyone seemed to 'flying' last evening except for few 'hanger on's' like myself. I kept an odd eye on the sky in case of an unexpected plane coming in. I done 26 24 for it.Busy weekend ahead starting Sunday with a match in Dublin then a hurried trip for an overnight in Cork.The race on Monday and then Tuesday evening the final race of the 5K series which doubles up as party night as well.Bring it on

Hi RC Yes the half in Cork is around the corner now. I'd be happy enough with something less than 2 11 that would be 10 minute miles though I done 1 51 four years ago in Waterford. It seems a bit of erosion has taken place since. We had another of the 5K's last evening in a new venue which is the runway of a now rarely used airport. It was lovely and flat so it will probably 'take off' as everyone seemed to 'flying' last evening except for few 'hanger on's' like myself. I kept an odd eye on the sky in case of an unexpected plane coming in. I done 26 24 for it.Busy weekend ahead starting Sunday with a match in Dublin then a hurried trip for an overnight in Cork.The race on Monday and then Tuesday evening the final race of the 5K series which doubles up as party night as well.Bring it on

Runway running - great idea!!! Busy weekend ahead for you Fieldsman, very best of luck in Cork and let us know how you get on - after you've recovered from all the partying :D

• Advertisement

Slowly getting back in to things. Ear infections are the pits, blooming thing was sore most of the week but finally turned a corner on Thursday so tried a few runs, keeping things easy. Antibiotics finish today so will probably keep things fairly easy for another week. 10k on 17th is the next goal so hopefully back to full strength for then.

Fri - 3.5m @10.09 HR 141
    Sat - 6.7m @ 10.09 HR 142
    Sun - 4m @ 10.20 HR 143

May total 100 miles, one week missed through illness and one crap parkrun so not the best. However not surprising as the last 2 months have been full on with late nights, lashings of red vino and all the stuff that comes with that. Its hardly surprising that I ended up sick. Mental note to self - if you've only had 2 hours sleep then get more rest instead of insisting on doing your long run!!

I can only train properly if I'm getting sleep and staying reasonably healthy. Not very rock and roll but whats needed if I want to progress my running and that's exactly what I want. Here's hoping for a healthier, fitter and faster June!!

Hear hear! I've had a bit of that myself lately and it's true, runners don't do rock'n'roll....very well anyway! :D Best of luck with it!

Yeah and we have to learn the hard way! ;)

Hi Runchic hope your feeling better after that minor illness and logging the miles again. I survived the weekend in Cork but yes weather conditions made it challenging. I got through it in a gun time of 2 06 but passing the mat just short of finish line gave me 2 04 and 13 1. KM. I felt strong over the last 3 miles passing a 50/60 runners so maybe I should have worked harder earlier on. After finishing I met a good few people from my own club but it wasn't a day for hanging around.
    Back at the hotel there was a long wait to get a hot shower as there were only two rooms available. I must admit I'm partial to a bit of trad music and what goes with it so after getting home I just did that in my own local here. The following evening was the final race in the 5K series, this time I was a minute slower. Looking ahead I've a local half marathon coming up the end of June but it's only 2 or 3 days after returning from a weeks holiday so ???? there. Keep on running

Hi Runchic hope your feeling better after that minor illness and logging the miles again. I survived the weekend in Cork but yes weather conditions made it challenging. I got through it in a gun time of 2 06 but passing the mat just short of finish line gave me 2 04 and 13 1. KM. I felt strong over the last 3 miles passing a 50/60 runners so maybe I should have worked harder earlier on. After finishing I met a good few people from my own club but it wasn't a day for hanging around.
    Back at the hotel there was a long wait to get a hot shower as there were only two rooms available. I must admit I'm partial to a bit of trad music and what goes with it so after getting home I just did that in my own local here. The following evening was the final race in the 5K series, this time I was a minute slower. Looking ahead I've a local half marathon coming up the end of June but it's only 2 or 3 days after returning from a weeks holiday so ???? there. Keep on running

Fieldsman you are amazing!! A half marathon, night out, followed by a 5k the next day, what's your secret?! Really well done, you're running better than plenty of folk half your age, I really am in awe!

I would be partial to a bit of trad myself, accompanied with the black stuff of course ;) enjoy the holiday and report back on the half, no doubt you'll run well again :)

Mon - I hr MTBing including 2 difficult wet, grassy hill climbs.

Tue - 5.5m @ 9.33 HR 148

Wed - long run, after getting used to 12m runs, haven't ran that far in weeks so wasn't sure how I'd go. Decided on an 11 mile route and was just about right as I got tired around the 10 mile mark. 11m @ 9.53 HR 148.

Thu - 6am recovery run, 4.5m @ 10.00 including 4 x 18 sec strides.

Sat - 4.5m including parkrun 3.1m @ 8.10. Well knew this would be a disaster but with a 10k in less than 2 weeks I thought it would be a good workout if anything. Let's just say prep was poor. Dinner with a group of friends I have t seen for ages the night before was the first oops. All plans to limit the vino and get home by 10.30 were out the window once the craic got going. Woke on sat to howling wind and rain and am still not quite sure why I didn't just stay in bed :( anyway ran first mile too fast and things unravelled quickly, the headwind was in the second half and I seriously tried to bail somewhere in the third mile. Anyway managed to finish but was fairly disappointed with myself. This run should have been a good indicator for the 10k but it has left me less than confident. Am thinking I'll shoot for 52 minutes and see what happens. Being realistic that's where I'm at, the sub 50 goal will move to later in the year. Some serious training to get under the belt before then.

Sun - 5.6m easy @ 9.31 HR 150, running a bit faster than normal on these easy runs but seriously my legs are feeling strong. Must be the biking!

Jeez, sounds like that parkrun is not an indicator of anything, considering the night before and the weather!

Sorry if I missed this above somewhere, but what's your target distance for this year... dare I ask, are you considering another marathon?

annapr wrote: »
    Jeez, sounds like that parkrun is not an indicator of anything, considering the night before and the weather!

Sorry if I missed this above somewhere, but what's your target distance for this year... dare I ask, are you considering another marathon?

Hey Anna main goal is Belfast half in September. Am considering the Clontarf half in July just for fun with hubby. Would love to go sub 50 in the 10k, sub 1.50 in the half and sub 24 in the 5k by the end of the year. If I can manage this I'll look for a Spring marathon, that's the plan so far anyway :)

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Anna main goal is Belfast half in September. Am considering the Clontarf half in July just for fun with hubby. Would love to go sub 50 in the 10k, sub 1.50 in the half and sub 24 in the 5k by the end of the year. If I can manage this I'll look for a Spring marathon, that's the plan so far anyway :)

Sounds like a good plan... ! If you decide to do Clontarf, we'll be there to support :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I think you should forget about that park run as an indicator of where you are. Going into the 10 km with a clear head and give it your all. You have nothing to loose!

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan... ! If you decide to do Clontarf, we'll be there to support :D

Excellent, my preference is to race the 5 mile but he's keen to do the 13.1 so think we'll plod round that, really enjoyed it 2 years ago!
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    I think you should forget about that park run as an indicator of where you are. Going into the 10 km with a clear head and give it your all. You have nothing to loose!

Sam thank you for your positivity. I know what you're saying, will see how the next week or so goes. If I can get the pacing right it might go ok, and save the vino for after - ahem ;)

Last week:

Mon - 1 hr MTBing including 3 hill climbs. Have been advised that I need to be able to do 8 of these to be properly bike fit so that's a wee challenge over the next few months.

Tue - easy run 5m @ 9.56 HR 144, first 6am run in tshirt and shorts, hello summer at last :D

Wed - not running to a plan at the mo so decided to run a progression run as they're a favorite. 1m easy, 5m progression from 9.36 to 8.14, 2m c/d HR 158. Midday run in the heat so found it tough enough, enjoyable 8 miler though!

Thu - easy run 4.4m @ 10.05, HR 146, another sunny early start.

Sat - long run - 10m @ 9.39 HR 147. Headed on a hilly local route that I haven't ran for ages. Was enjoying the hills and the run, feeling great until 8 mile in and right hip flexor got sore :mad: This has always flared up from time to time, particularly at the end of a long run but this time was more painful. Anyway jogged home, cut run short to 10 miles.

Rested up on sunday as pain was still there. Iced it and thankfully its much better today.

10k race on Wednesday night though so am just going to rest it until then and hope for the best. Haven't raced for a time in 2 years so was really looking forward to this. Fingers crossed the hip holds up!

Oh best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oh best of luck!

+1, hope the hip behaves, bitch of an injury.

Sorry if I missed it, A, but what are you aiming for on Weds? Hopefully the rest works for the hip!

Thank Runchic for the nice comments and glad to hear you also like the odd glassful of the 'black stuff' BTW did you ever hear it called 'blond in the black dress' oh oh maybe that's a lads comment. I'm about to go out the door and off on a week's holiday so at the moment I'm just getting in 4/5 miles a day and also running in the heat dosen't agree with me either.
    Hope that injury sorts itself out and I'll be in touch when I get back.

Oh best of luck!

Thanks Sam gonna need a bit of luck!
    tang1 wrote: »
    +1, hope the hip behaves, bitch of an injury.

Cheers Tang yes nightmare, has been there for 3 years on and off:(
    Sorry if I missed it, A, but what are you aiming for on Weds? Hopefully the rest works for the hip!

Hoping for sub 52 Anna, it'll be all about pacing!
    Thank Runchic for the nice comments and glad to hear you also like the odd glassful of the 'black stuff' BTW did you ever hear it called 'blond in the black dress' oh oh maybe that's a lads comment. I'm about to go out the door and off on a week's holiday so at the moment I'm just getting in 4/5 miles a day and also running in the heat dosen't agree with me either.
    Hope that injury sorts itself out and I'll be in touch when I get back.

Thanks Fieldsman, that must be a lad's saying alright!! Enjoy the hols :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck, A. <52 all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

another good luck for tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Firedance wrote: »

One more here.....

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    One more here.....

And another one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

And another one here.
    ....aaand another! :-)

+1... go get that sub-52!!! best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck, A. <52 all the way!
    Firedance wrote: »
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    One more here.....
    And another one here.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    ....aaand another! :-)
    +1... go get that sub-52!!! best of luck!
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1

Thanks a mill you lovely people!!

Lisburn 10k - Target sub 52 or 8.15 pace, actual 52.13 (garmin time) av pace 8.22 HR 169.

A tad disappointed with the time but over the moon that I'm back able to race after such a long and tedious break. A very congested start and a mini meltdown in mile 5 cost me the goal but sure what the hell, its a starting point for the rest of the year. Onwards and upwards - I remember this time last year missing this race and feeling like I would never race again - those days are long gone :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff! Not too far off your goal at all. Fantastic to see things coming together for you again. Well done!

Well done, onwards & upwards is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Raymond Darcy

Well done-)

Well done, very close. By the way that's not a race report you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Chuffed for you A. And don't be worrying about the few seconds. No goal worth having is easily achieved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement