Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done! you will find that 13 seconds another day, look forward to the FULL race report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great stuff A!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry you didn't hit your goal - I'd be disappointed too. But it's a marker for the rest of the year as you say. Must feel good to have this done and dusted all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Agonisingly close to the goal, I'm sure you're raging over those few seconds but it's your first race in a long time, it'll click for you! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done, very close. By the way that's not a race report you know!
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Chuffed for you A. And don't be worrying about the few seconds. No goal worth having is easily achieved.
    Firedance wrote: »
    well done! you will find that 13 seconds another day, look forward to the FULL race report :D
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Great stuff A!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry you didn't hit your goal - I'd be disappointed too. But it's a marker for the rest of the year as you say. Must feel good to have this done and dusted all the same!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Agonisingly close to the goal, I'm sure you're raging over those few seconds but it's your first race in a long time, it'll click for you! Well done.

Thanks folks, it would appear there is a running god, start mat was further up than I thought, official time 51.53 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done !! Super stuff.

Agree, we need a comprehensive race report, if only to hear more about the mile 5 meltdown ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done Runchick. I bet it felt good to be back racing :)

After it was all over anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So glad that I'm behind here so I can skip the 'pity about those 13 seconds, they didn't really matter anyway' and go straight to WOOOOO HOOOOO... Well done, you nailed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done :)

Can I delete my first comment??? :) excellent!!

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done !! Super stuff.

Agree, we need a comprehensive race report, if only to hear more about the mile 5 meltdown ;)

Gorey details to follow BG!
    Well done Runchick. I bet it felt good to be back racing :)

After it was all over anyway :D

Absolutely CM!
    annapr wrote: »
    So glad that I'm behind here so I can skip the 'pity about those 13 seconds, they didn't really matter anyway' and go straight to WOOOOO HOOOOO... Well done, you nailed it!!

Cheers Anna
    Well done :)

Cheers Hilly
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Can I delete my first comment??? :) excellent!!

Thanks Laura

10k race report

Ok so this was a big deal to me. 2 years ago I was making great gains with running and really enjoying it, assuming I would just keep progressing. Then overtraining hit so hard its taken me until now to be back able to train at any consistency. I have been loosely following the Clearlier graduate plan for the last couple of months, always aware that if I overdo it I could be back to square one. A few parkruns over the past couple of months were manageable so signed up for a 10k.

Other than a dodgy tum over the past few days I had been feeling good. The recurrent hip flexor strain meant a 3 day break from running and plenty of icing seemed to do the trick, happy days.

Set myself a conservative target of 52 minutes – based on my best recent parkrun. This event is awesome. Absolute carnival atmosphere before the start, my 9 year old and OH doing the 3k fun run and me and a friend all fired up for the 10k. It was her first go at the distance and she smashed her target time by 3 minutes – absolute legend and a future training partner in the making for me!!

Nearly 2000 were doing the 10k so to say it was congested at the start was an understatement. We started too far back and half a mile in the garmin read 9.30 – dam – with a 8.15 target I panicked a bit (classic mistake!). Anyway mile 1 bleeped at 8.25 so I probably made time up too fast, was having fun though and really had to hold back for mile 2, 8.01. Mile 3 was mostly uphill so ran conservatively, 8.24 and mile 4 was pretty uneventful although starting to feel the effort, 8.14.
    Mile 5 was when the fun started. Yes I was starting to feel tired but my stomach was in knots. The internal voice was along the lines of ‘uh oh this is bad’, ‘you’re fine its all in your head’, ‘need to be sick’, ‘feck the pace’. Anyway slowed to a walk and barfed into a hedge – all water (so ladylike :eek:). People were streaming past me and for a second I thought about sitting down and giving up but promised myself I would get going again so picked the next person coming along and fell in behind them. Started feeling better and felt the pace was too slow so found another pair of feet to follow, mile 5 8.40. Was really tired now so just concentrated on keeping a high cadence mile 6, 8.20 and 8.15 for the last bit - thought this was faster as I gave it all I had but it was uphill so no sprint finish! In fact this was a hilly enough course, much moreso than the parkrun course so happy enough with how I did.

Finished feeling tired but ok, stomach was grand – did I imagine that I thought. Garmin read 52.13 but a long course and of course found out official time was 51.53 so happy out. Bit of confusion over where the starting mat was!

So the time is hardly record breaking but this was an important race. I feel fine today, did a 4.4m recovery run earlier and no ill effects. Feeling positive about getting stuck in to a 12 week HM plan and getting those times down. I won’t be happy until I’m able to run PBs again but think that’s all possible now.

Oh and my girl ran the 3k fun run without a walk break, first time running. Taking her down to the local running club is crossing my mind, get us both signed up if I can drag her away from her bike for long enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You re some woman! Well done for keeping going after puking! Delighted you got your sub 52. What plan are you going to follow for HM? And what do you plan on taking the mileage up to?

Barfing is becoming a bit of a specialty, eh? Better out than in! Too much water maybe? But what a recovery, well done!

You re some woman! Well done for keeping going after puking! Delighted you got your sub 52. What plan are you going to follow for HM? And what do you plan on taking the mileage up to?

Thanks Sam probably not as bad as it sounds but something I need to address - can't be doing that every race!! Not fully decided on plan yet, had found a great 12 week one which I can't find the link for just now or am considering this 10 week schedule

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-sub-150-half-marathon-schedules/97.html

as I'm runnign Clontarf for the craic in a few weeks so could start after that. Also like the 2 10k races along the way! Probably peak around 40 - 45 miles at most.

Are you running to a plan?
    Barfing is becoming a bit of a specialty, eh? Better out than in! Too much water maybe? But what a recovery, well done!

I know Murph, nightmare. Bit of a worry if I can't hold water - don't want to think what'll happen when I need to use gels again! I grabbed water at 2 water stations and that's all I can think of - haven't taken a drink while running since London marathon!

Bloody hell, fair play to you for getting your sub-52 after all that! Good on ya.

Hi, I'm not really following a plan. My focus is getting the LSR built up and having one run a week a bit faster( I hate speed work). The rest of the miles will be easy pace. I won't get the miles much over 40 per week with the kids off school etc. I don't mind though as I need to keep the core work going as well!!

Bloody hell, fair play to you for getting your sub-52 after all that! Good on ya.

Thanks Anna
    Hi, I'm not really following a plan. My focus is getting the LSR built up and having one run a week a bit faster( I hate speed work). The rest of the miles will be easy pace. I won't get the miles much over 40 per week with the kids off school etc. I don't mind though as I need to keep the core work going as well!!

Similar enough to myself then Sam, the summer with kids off will be tricky alright. Mixture of very early morning runs and dragging the 3 of them along on their bikes. 4 year old has his stabilisers off now so at least that's possible. Core work back on the front burner here too - the thought of an injury lay-off has reaffirmed that one :rolleyes:

Weekly update:

Mon and Tue - rest to let hip flexor settle, did the trick

Wed - 7m including 10k @ 51.53, short warm up with strides and no cool down except walk back to car, all I had time for, kids to pick up and all that

Thu - 4.4m recovery @10.30 HR 142, hip ok during run but niggling after

Sat - 6.5m @ 9.52 HR 147, hip getting annoying after 5 miles, dam. Icing settled it down again

Sun - 5.2m @ 9.45 HR 140, hip perfect until last half mile, not sore but uncomfortable.

Have been doing core and stretching before runs this week which seems to be helping, icing also helps. Will just keep things short and easy this week, well hoping to do a 2 hour run on Thursday as a last long run before Clontarf but will only do it if theres no discomfort. Fingers crossed :)

All my runs up to 8 miles are with my dog. She has always been my running partner and grabbing her lead is as automatic as lacing up. However the last few runs she's slowing, instead of doing her own thing and sprinting after me to catch up she's plodding beside me, tongue hanging out. Am hoping its just the heat although its never been an issue before. Should probably rest her for a few days and see how she goes. Can't imagine getting to the stage I have to leave her at home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Hi Runchic Delighted to hear of your good run in Lisburn and also getting the young ones involved as well. That run reminds me of a race I had in Belfast a few years ago called the Titanic 10K. to mark the 100 year anniv. and as I had a close relative lost in that tragedy I had to have a go. Checking back I note my time that day was 51 47 but alas I'm way short of that now but I enjoyed that day.
    I'm back from a break in Italy, taking in Pompei, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast, folks put this place on your bucket list as I've never seen nicer scenery. As the roads were unsuitable and the weather very hot I didn't do any running at all just a good bit of 'elbow bending' was my only exercise while there !!
    My next race might be the National Half marathon which is run in conjunction with the Rock n' Roll race in early August.
    Hope your hip isn't causing any more problems.

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Hi Runchic Delighted to hear of your good run in Lisburn and also getting the young ones involved as well. That run reminds me of a race I had in Belfast a few years ago called the Titanic 10K. to mark the 100 year anniv. and as I had a close relative lost in that tragedy I had to have a go. Checking back I note my time that day was 51 47 but alas I'm way short of that now but I enjoyed that day.
    I'm back from a break in Italy, taking in Pompei, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast, folks put this place on your bucket list as I've never seen nicer scenery. As the roads were unsuitable and the weather very hot I didn't do any running at all just a good bit of 'elbow bending' was my only exercise while there !!
    My next race might be the National Half marathon which is run in conjunction with the Rock n' Roll race in early August.
    Hope your hip isn't causing any more problems.

Hey Fieldsman welcome back! Italy sounds fab, one for the bucket list for sure :) Not too long until the half, plenty of time to work off the holiday excess ;)
    I've ran the titanic 10k a few times, really great race, managed 48 mins there a few years back, those were the days!!
    Hip thing becoming a bit of a menace, mind you I haven't been very good at resting it so think its time to give in and let it heal. Hopefully just a temporary blip, feeling good otherwise.

Are you still planning to do Clontarf next week?

Not a great week on the running front

Mon - 1 hr MTBing, great session in the summer sun, lovely, managed 6 hill climbs which I was happy with as I found 2 hard a few weeks back.

Tues - 4m easy run, hip thing niggling after 3 miles so realised no point continuing running, time to rest, dam :(

Wed, Thu, Fri - walking, core, stretching, ice - hip niggle still there but not as bad

Was away for the weekend with the mountain bike

Fri - 1 hr MTBing handy enough trails, good fun

Sat - 2.5 hr MTBing, tough trails, miles of climbing, crazy descents, most fun I've had for ages!! ...well a girl has to amuse herself somehow when the runners are banned :cool: Probably not sensible though, I'm pretty sure my physio would say biking is ok but avoid hills, in fact that was his exact advice last time I had this, oh dear.

Sun - rest (well except for the core stuff) and the realisation that its time for a professional opinion. I kind of know there'll be a running ban but best get it sorted now. 11 weeks until the goal HM so need to keep the eye on the prize.

Might get back in the pool this week.

Are you still planning to do Clontarf next week?

Unfortunately not anna, thankfully we hadn't registered but it would be pure madness for me with this silly injury. We might hit the PP for a few miles if physio allows, fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear that Runchick, but it sounds like you're having an awesome time on the MTB. Hope that hip is sorted soon, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Good luck with the physio visit, I am headed in the same direction myself tomorrow.... fingers crossed it will not be too much interruption for either of us.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Runchick, but it sounds like you're having an awesome time on the MTB. Hope that hip is sorted soon, fingers crossed!

Thanks BG yeah probably too much fun being had on 2 wheels :D
    Good luck with the physio visit, I am headed in the same direction myself tomorrow.... fingers crossed it will not be too much interruption for either of us.

Fingers crossed indeed hilly, hopefully only a few weeks - not enough to go completely crazy but enough to make us appreciate being able to run when we get back out there! Good luck

Runchick wrote: »
    Unfortunately not anna, thankfully we hadn't registered but it would be pure madness for me with this silly injury. We might hit the PP for a few miles if physio allows, fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear that... But sounds like the right decision.

June update

After a great start to the month this damn hip injury put a real spanner in the works, meaning I only ran 14 days in June. Mind you included a 10k which I was delighted to be able to do. Bit annoyed as I felt my fitness was really getting somewhere but hey that's running for you.

Physio this week. Basically I have a labral (?) tear, the extent of which won't become apparent until we see if I progress well over the next 2 weeks. Optimistically its a small tear and 2 weeks of glute and groin stretching will see a big improvement. I am not even considering the worst scenario here yet - no point. Also the pilates I was dong was aggravating it so all that's on hold until I get this sorted, stretching and foam rolling only for a few weeks.

The good news is I can cycle and swim, strongly advised to give the aqua jogging a go. Have been on the bike most days this week. Frustrating but I have known something was amiss for a while so in a way I'm relieved to be finally getting the right advice and managing this. At this stage physio reckons the September half marathon is still realistic so gonna keep that as the goal and hope for the best.

Enjoy your running you lucky folk :)

Jun 85 miles, YTD 592 miles.

Chin up Mrs. You have been through worse! Use the pool as well as the bike. It will give you a good work out.

• Advertisement

It's nearly the same story here, with 12 June runs and similar number of miles as you. And the cycling....

Anyway I'm allowed a bit of running now, and am hopeful. Fingers crossed it'll just be a couple of weeks for you.

Chin up Mrs. You have been through worse! Use the pool as well as the bike. It will give you a good work out.

Thanks Sam yeah will be hitting the pool for sure.
    It's nearly the same story here, with 12 June runs and similar number of miles as you. And the cycling....

Anyway I'm allowed a bit of running now, and am hopeful. Fingers crossed it'll just be a couple of weeks for you.

Thanks Hilly hopefully I follow your progress - to be back in a few weeks would be fab!

Keep the faith, you won't have lost all that hard work. It'll stand to you when you get the niggle sorted.

i knew all this pilates was over-rated... at this rate there will be an aqua-jogging forum needed too!

+1 to the wishes for a speedy recovery, at least you can stay active...

How's the hip coming along, A?

How's the hip coming along, A?

Hey Murph not great unfortunately, still waiting for mri but looking like potential surgery required, running on hold for a few months at least:(

July update:

0 running miles, lots of Physio
    Hundreds (probably 500) cycling miles road and mtb
    Even a few swimming miles which I'm hoping to increase when school's back

May as well write the running year off now but have no doubt I'll be back as soon as possible, dam I miss lacing up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That sucks A, it really does. Sorry to hear that.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That sucks A, it really does. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks kinda used to it now and it's not so bad, could be worse eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thats rotten luck, what part of the hip requires surgery?

Really sorry to hear this Runchick but good to know you can swim and cycle. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement

Ah no, too bad, sorry it hasn't improved. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yeah a :( +1 to all the above.

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats rotten luck, what part of the hip requires surgery?

Physio thinks it's a labral tear which would need removed by keyhole, common enough among endurance runners apparently, mri will confirm the cause hopefully

Physio thinks it's a labral tear which would need removed by keyhole, common enough among endurance runners apparently, mri will confirm the cause hopefully

Exact same thing i have, my physio advised that surgery should be a last resort, i done 3-4 months of rehab on it and touch wood its behaved itself. It does niggle from time to time but i was told to expect that. I run pain free, its only after sometime it lets me know its there. I would avoid surgery if you can, but i'm only speaking from a bad experience on my behalf with my knee. Mo Farah has suffered with the same injury for the past 7 years and not needed surgery on it.

Exact same thing i have, my physio advised that surgery should be a last resort, i done 3-4 months of rehab on it and touch wood its behaved itself. It does niggle from time to time but i was told to expect that. I run pain free, its only after sometime it lets me know its there. I would avoid surgery if you can, but i'm only speaking from a bad experience on my behalf with my knee. Mo Farah has suffered with the same injury for the past 7 years and not needed surgery on it.

Really tang? That's great to hear. What rehab were you doing? I haven't responded well to anything we've tried over the past month. Wotld be interested to know what's worked for you?

Really tang? That's great to hear. What rehab were you doing? I haven't responded well to anything we've tried over the past month. Wotld be interested to know what's worked for you?

Yip, i done a serious amount of work with a resistance band strenghtening the hip back up. Basically lie on your side resistance band around your ankles and lift the affected leg/hip up and down. I done about 100-200 of those daily. Obviously work the good side to. Another exercise was just basic step ups on a wooden box or bench. Walking lunges, one legged hops forward on both legs, hop forward as many times on one leg as you can, i had serious weakness in my left leg compared to my right doing this first and run of the mill hip stretches. Resistance band stuff was the big thing for me.

Yip, i done a serious amount of work with a resistance band strenghtening the hip back up. Basically lie on your side resistance band around your ankles and lift the affected leg/hip up and down. I done about 100-200 of those daily. Obviously work the good side to. Another exercise was just basic step ups on a wooden box or bench. Walking lunges, one legged hops forward on both legs, hop forward as many times on one leg as you can, i had serious weakness in my left leg compared to my right doing this first and run of the mill hip stretches. Resistance band stuff was the big thing for me.

Thanks tang. Did it hurt when you did those exercises? I can't do lunges or resistance band work on the sore side without a lot of pain. Physio doesn't want me doing anything that irritates it. Very frustrating but I'll def be asking about non-surgery options when I see him this week.

Thanks tang. Did it hurt when you did those exercises? I can't do lunges or resistance band work on the sore side without a lot of pain. Physio doesn't want me doing anything that irritates it. Very frustrating but I'll def be asking about non-surgery options when I see him this week.

Yeah it hurt like hell to begin with, but as the strength improved the pain eased off. My physio told me the pain was due to weakness & in fairness to him in my case it seemed to be the case. Aqua jogging worked for another few around here with hip issues also, career move would definitely sing its praises.

Yeah it hurt like hell to begin with, but as the strength improved the pain eased off. My physio told me the pain was due to weakness & in fairness to him in my case it seemed to be the case. Aqua jogging worked for another few around here with hip issues also, career move would definitely sing its praises.

Thats interesting, lots to think about and questions to ask, maybe all is not lost! Thanks tang and best of luck with your continued return :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hope you can find a non-surgical solution A. Surgeons only make a living by performing surgery and will naturally advise a course of action with which they can help. Before I'd ask for a surgical opinion I'd want to be sure I'd exhausted all alternatives.

Advertisement