Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I think the nervousness came from pressure your putting on yourself to have a good race after Limerick,I know I'm plotting/thinking about something similar myself after Cork.

Limerick was only 4weeks ago,your just coming out of the recovery period ,not to mention a bug recently which sometimes can knock more out of us than we realise.

A few more easy runs without the watch or the watch just set to time may not go astray.

Time to just enjoy being able to run in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

docjewel wrote: »
    I think the nervousness came from pressure your putting on yourself to have a good race after Limerick,I know I'm plotting/thinking about something similar myself after Cork.

Limerick was only 4weeks ago,your just coming out of the recovery period ,not to mention a bug recently which sometimes can knock more out of us than we realise.

A few more easy runs without the watch or the watch just set to time may not go astray.

Time to just enjoy being able to run in this weather.

Thank you so much doc for your encouragement and words of wisdom. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and today I am realising that I shouldn't have ran last night at all. A runner friend of mine ran a 5k 4 weeks after running London marathon and finished 2 minutes slower than goal and she had warned me that I may experience the same...looks like she was right :rolleyes: I feel really tired today so think a few days rest are in order...something I am not very good at :o

On a side note, my OH did the 1k family fun run with all 3 of the kids last night. They all really enjoyed it and I just found a note my 5 yr old daughter wrote before school this morning saying "I love to run but my mum is the best runner and she drinks water" (well it took a bit of deciphering but that's what I think she tried to write! :)) That note just snapped me out of my disappointment and made me realise that times aren't that important. Running is having a positive influence on them, getting out there and enjoying it is the main thing :D I need to learn to pick my battles, not every race can be a PB attempt and as long as I'm enjoying it then who really cares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just found your log now Runchick, best of luck with it. I think a sub 4 in DCM is a formality for you with all your hard work, especially after the tough lessons learned in Limerick. Sorry you had a tough 10K over the weekend, but A) I can confirm that it was very tough racing in that heat and B) you are only a few weeks after collapsing with dehydration in Limerick. Please look after yourself and don’t be so hard on yourself if you’re not back to your racing best after 4 weeks!

Also plus 1 million on what Doc said, I think the temptation after a bad race is to go out and get revenge straight away, but I think the sensible thing is to slowly build back up to full recovery and then come back and tear the ar*e out of your target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

FWIW I've been told a few times that post-race recovery should be 1 day per mile raced. Add to that recovery from the dehydration and maybe you really shouldn't be pushing yourself too hard just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

As others have said Runchick fair play for giving it a go. Probably came a couple of weeks too early for you but only way you find that out is by giving it a go. Put it down as a good session.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm on a steep learning curve at the minute but hopefully all these hard lessons will pay off in the end :rolleyes: The biggest thing I need to take away from last night is to read the signs - deep down I knew I wasn't on form, I always get excited at the start of a race and enjoy the buzz but was totally flat last night, the warm up felt very sluggish and I just wasn't in the zone at all. My body may have known I wasn't ready but I kept telling myself sure its only 6 miles, you'll be fine.

Anyway I've scheduled myself today and tomorrow as rest days (reluctantly). I know I shouldn't be thinking about it but I can't wait for the next race - hopefully ready by then to enjoy it :D (god I sound like a junkie, just one more hit....)

Was up half the night with crappy toothache, face swollen this morning, off to doc, turns out I have a tooth abscess, nasty infection requiring antibiotics and a trip to the dentist in a few days :( Doc took bloods a few weeks ago too and they came back not so good - lacking a few nutrients...basically Runchick is extremely run down...nothing a bit of r&r won't fix...racing on Wednesday night was not so clever but at least I know the reason for my crappy performance :rolleyes:

Anyway I need to take it easy for a bit to get back to full strength. Easy running in a few days if I feel ready...I know rightly I tried to do too much too soon and am now paying the price...take heed folks, look after yourselves and don't make the same mistakes :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Runchick, mind yourself, enjoy the rest and use the time with the family. Follow Docs Doctors advice and you'll be back on top form in no time.....

There you go A - and you were being hard on yourself. Who knows how long that was creeping up on you - maybe for months. Look after yourself and you'll be back to your best quick as a flash.

• Advertisement

Tues 11 Jun

3.13m @ 10.01 Av HR 137

First run since last Wednesday. Have been feeling fairly unwell so had absolutely no desire to run despite the good weather. This morning was the first day I felt like putting the runners on so took the dog for a wee jaunt before breakfast. Am I complete weirdo by saying that I was glad to find it drizzling and cool outside? :eek: I've realised that I hate running in the heat. No running to plan just yet, I'll just go with the flow for another week or so, nice easy runs when the notion takes me...probably won't race as planned on 19th either, I'd rather make sure I'm on top form...I'm far too competitive with myself to race again without a go at a PB :eek:

Wed 12 Jun

5.15m @9.04 Av HR 147

Thur 13 Jun

7.2m @ 9.09 AV HR 146

Both runs with no particular aim, just taking things fairly easy, not looking at the watch. Feeling the love for running again but still not feeling 100%. Finished antibiotics though so hopefully on the mend.

Fri 14 Jun - rest and 15 mins core and foam rolling, did this on Monday too...necessary evil and all that

Sat 15 Jun - LSR

12.25m @ 9.44 Av HR 149

Took a new route which always helps to keep things interesting. Enjoyed the run but had to rush straight to work soon after so was pretty exhausted.

Sun 16 Jun - recovery

3.1m @ 10.36 AV HR 131

Still not feeling on top form but glad to be back out there. Still toying with the idea of racing on Wednesday night but if I do it won't be a PB attempt.

Runchick wrote: »
    Still toying with the idea of racing on Wednesday night

Really?:eek:
    If I do it won't be a PB attempt.

It'd be difficult not to push yourself though.

Honestly if you're not feeling 100% I'd wait. There'll be other races. Your health is more important.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Really?:eek:

It'd be difficult not to push yourself though.

Honestly if you're not feeling 100% I'd wait. There'll be other races. Your health is more important.

I totally agree C and prob shouldn't be considering it but it's a great wee event so very tempting to give it a lash. Will make a call on Wednesday:)

Mon 17 Jun

5.12m @ 9.09

Headed out late evening for this one and didn't have any plan but decided to do a bit of a progression run. Splits 10.07, 9.23, 8.48, 8.02, 9.21 (c/d). Didn't speed up too much as I still wasn't sure if I would be racing the 10k on Wed.

Tues - rest

Wed 19 Jun

6.25m @ 8.20 Av HR 165

Had been feeling fairly crap all week - sore throat, headache, very tired, etc. and felt worse than ever today. Went through the day thinking I would go to bed early and not go anywhere near the 10k I had signed up for. But the temptation to go was too much so I downed some paracetamol, put on the running gear and drove down to the race. I made a deal with myself that I would run it but not attempt to race it. I knew I was run down and my attempt at racing 2 weeks ago had resulted in 5 days of no running and a course of antiboitics. Time to be smart and not make the same mistake twice :rolleyes:

The race was extremely enjoyable. I had absolutely no pressure on myself and didn't care about the time. I kind of thought I'd be happy if I beat my time from last year but wasn't even that bothered. The first mile was slow as I started well back in the field and it took the whole first mile for the field to filter out. I just enjoyed the atmosphere and concentrated on running steady and strong but not hard. The second mile felt a bit too fast so I slowed things down a bit again and just tried to run to feel - challenging but not overly uncomfortable. During the final few miles I found myself encouraging others to keep going when they stopped to walk. I thought to myself this must be how pacers feel- class :) There was no sprint finish and to be honest I was glad to see the end but could easily have kept going for a lot longer. Got the medal and headed home delighted with myself for not getting carried away, sticking to my guns and running smart :D

Garmin time 51.44.

I'm back for repeat blood tests tomorrow. I'll wait to see what that shows, work on getting my strength back and take it from there. I love running too much to risk having to stop so for now I'm content to take things easy and build myself up again. Mind you my wee competitive streak is already trying to work out when I can actually race again - and nail me a PB :p

Good on ya A - a very sensible approach. Hope the tests bring you good news and you're in good fettle for Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good on ya A - a very sensible approach. Hope the tests bring you good news and you're in good fettle for Clontarf.
    +1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Do you take any supplements?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Do you take any supplements?

Only started taking them a few weeks ago, hoping it'll help though. Was always in the camp of 'don't need a supplement cause I get all I need from a healthy diet' but clearly not. Not when racking up plenty of miles anyway ;)

Thur 20 Jun

4.62m @ 10.08 Av HR 142

Easy/ recovery run. Only planned 3 miles but the weather was too nice, if I hadn't done the 10k the night before I would have run for hours. Loving this weather :D

Rest of the week looking like this:

Fri - rest
    Sat - 14m LSR
    Sun - 4m recovery

With 3 weeks to go until Clontarf HM I'm not really sure how to train until then. I had been following a Runners World HM plan with progressing LSRs but that's all out the window due to health issues the past few weeks. I'm starting to feel better but don't want to push things so realistically the 1.45 target is off. If training goes well for the next few weeks and I feel good I'll probably target 1.50. The 1.45 attempt can wait until Belfast HM in September.

I'm thinking the next 3 weeks like this:

Wk 1 - interval session, progression run, 2 or 3 recovery runs and LSR (16m).
    Wk 2 - interval session, 8m with 6 @ HMP (this will really tell me where I'm at), recovery runs and LSR (12m).
    Wk 3 - easy runs with strides, recovery runs, race day.

Of course this will all depend on continuing to feel like my health is improving, but I'm being optimistic. Any feedback welcome, this is all guesswork and I really don't have a clue about this stuff :eek:

I'm thinking the next 3 weeks like this:

Wk 1 - interval session, progression run, 2 or 3 recovery runs and LSR (16m).
    Wk 2 - interval session, 8m with 6 @ HMP (this will really tell me where I'm at), recovery runs and LSR (12m).
    Wk 3 - easy runs with strides, recovery runs, race day.

Of course this will all depend on continuing to feel like my health is improving, but I'm being optimistic. Any feedback welcome, this is all guesswork and I really don't have a clue about this stuff :eek:
    Just my opinion but in Wk 1 and 2 you're basically planning on doing 3 sessions/week. That seems like a tough enough plan when you're just back from not feeling well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just my opinion but in Wk 1 and 2 you're basically planning on doing 3 sessions/week. That seems like a tough enough plan when you're just back from not feeling well

:confused: I'm reading 2 sessions a week? Which is fine...

What are the intervals you are thinking of runchick?

blockic wrote: »
    :confused: I'm reading 2 sessions a week? Which is fine...

What are the intervals you are thinking of runchick?
    Most people count the lsr as a session :P

Most people count the lsr as a session :P

Ah go way outta that :) , an LSR is not a session at all imo, it's slow!

You're plan looks good to me, a 12x400 and a 6x800 for the intervals would fit nicely in there and as you say the 6m @PMP will help you with what target you should be looking at for race day

Ah go way outta that :) , an LSR is not a session at all imo, it's slow!

You're plan looks good to me, a 12x400 and a 6x800 for the intervals would fit nicely in there and as you say the 6m @PMP will help you with what target you should be looking at for race day
    Hey I'm just telling you what people like Tergat, Beepbeep, Krusty etc have posted. Haven't time to find you the exact references now but I can later if you like. The long run may be slow but you're running for a long time and that makes it a session :P

Hey I'm just telling you what people like Tergat, Beepbeep, Krusty etc have posted. Haven't time to find you the exact references now but I can later if you like. The long run may be slow but you're running for a long time and that makes it a session :P

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :) 2 sessions a week and an LSR is common practice in many places, you may need to factor in changes alright if there is pace work in the LSR alright.

No need to find the references btw. I believe you!

I'm with CM on this! I would def count an lsr as a session. In my book, if you need a recovery run after it - it's a session!

Make sure you're not rushing back too soon after your illness Runchick, I think it would be a massive mistake to do tough sessions before you're 100%. Better an extra easy week, then setting yourself further back by pushing too hard while unwell.

ncmc wrote: »
    Make sure you're not rushing back too soon after your illness Runchick, I think it would be a massive mistake to do tough sessions before you're 100%. Better an extra easy week, then setting yourself further back by pushing too hard while unwell.

Definitely agree with this.

But in regard to the LSR, 12-16m is more an MLR on the midweek runs in P&D, I don't think you'd need a recovery run after them. I'm not saying the recovery run won't benefit though.

Right I'm done blabbing. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :) 2 sessions a week and an LSR is common practice in many places, you may need to factor in changes alright if there is pace work in the LSR alright.

2 sessions a week and a lsr might be common practice but that doesn't make the lsr any less of a session. So if you have nothing better to offer I rest my case :P

2 sessions a week and a lsr might be common practice but that doesn't make the lsr any less of a session. So if you have nothing better to offer I rest my case :P

Where is Gavlor when you need him! :D ...nah, I raised my point and am happy now to move on! :)

Where is Gavlor when you need him! :D ...nah, I have seen that I was wrong all along and am happy now to move on! :)

FYP :D

• Advertisement

Brave boy taking on someone who knows the training log archives inside out :D

Good to see your feeling better Runchick, best of luck with the HM prep.

Of course lsr is a session!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Of course lsr is a session!

Haha, some man.

Geez guys thanks for the input, you're wee 'debate' has really made me think...maybe I should replace the week 1 interval session to an easy run with 8x 100m strides...I'm probably rushing things a bit to think I'm ready for a full schedule and don't want to set myself back. I'll see how that goes and maybe keep the intervals in week 2 if I'm feeling good. So 8x400 then. That way I'll have a hard second week followed by an easy taper week. I want to give myself the best chance to run well without compromising my health...when did running become so complicated...

Of course there's always the opinion that with only 3 weeks I don't have enough time to make much of a difference to my race day performance, whether I follow this plan or just run to feel as and when...can 3 weeks really make a difference?

the opinion that with only 3 weeks I don't have enough time to make much of a difference to my race day performance, whether I follow this plan or just run to feel as and when...can 3 weeks really make a difference?

I could be wrong but I think it takes 10-14 days for you to get the benefit of sessions so it will make some small difference. Probably make more difference for you mentally especially the HM specific session that you had planned. Main thing is to get to the start line feeling ok.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think it takes 10-14 days for you to get the benefit of sessions so it will make some small difference. Probably make more difference for you mentally especially the HM specific session that you had planned. Main thing is to get to the start line feeling ok.

Thanks Dazza I think you are absolutely spot on about the mental benefits, I think having my head in the right place will make the biggest difference to me:)

Of course you could always rely on the motivational value of trying to avoid myself and Belcarra arguing about Mayo roads and used cars...

Of course you could always rely on the motivational value of trying to avoid myself and Belcarra arguing about Mayo roads and used cars...

Jaysus I'll be staying well ahead of that no matter what ;)

See - now you're motivated. The bill's in the post.:P

• Advertisement

Sat 22 Jun - LSR

14m @ 9.56 Av HR 147

Easy enough run until 11 miles when I felt so nauseous I had to stop for a few minutes :( Didn't feel great the rest of the way which is a pity as it ruined what was until then a very enjoyable run. Feeling a lot better now - I'm guessing my body was just telling me I'm not 100% just yet. The chocolate milk went down bloody well after mind you so things can't be that bad :p

Sun 23 Jun - recovery

4.5m @ 10.37 AV HR 134

Nice wee morning jog with the dog to round off the week with 34ish miles.

Mon 24 Jun - short intervals

4.48m @ 8.51 Av HR 155

Had a 40 minute window this evening for a run so grabbed the chance for a short session. Few miles warm up then 8 x 30sec fast/ 1min slow reps. My head has been wrecked recently with being unwell, low bloods, poor race performance, blah blah blah...the thought that I'm overtraining is at the back of my head and I went into this run feeling almost guilty for doing it and during the first mile actually decided that I should rest up for the rest of the week and reassess then :rolleyes:.

However, after a few miles I started into the reps feeling in good form. As the reps went on I felt better and better and got such a buzz from speeding things up. Splits for the fast bits were: 6.55, 7.16, 6.42, 6.52, 6.50, 6.07 :eek:, 6.29, 6.17. The last one was uphill and I gave it everything I had. How the hell do you fast feckers keep that pace for a whole race? :eek:

Anyway this was the best run I've had for ages and as long as the mojo is strong I'll keep plugging away. But I'll keep an eye on things and try not to overdo it. I've already reluctantly reduced days running from 6 to 5. Further blood test results later this week...fingers crossed for good news :)

Sun 23 Jun - recovery

4.5m @ 10.37 AV HR 134

Nice wee morning jog with the dog to round off the week with 34ish miles.

Mon 24 Jun - short intervals

4.48m @ 8.51 Av HR 155

Had a 40 minute window this evening for a run so grabbed the chance for a short session. Few miles warm up then 8 x 30sec fast/ 1min slow reps. My head has been wrecked recently with being unwell, low bloods, poor race performance, blah blah blah...the thought that I'm overtraining is at the back of my head and I went into this run feeling almost guilty for doing it and during the first mile actually decided that I should rest up for the rest of the week and reassess then :rolleyes:.

However, after a few miles I started into the reps feeling in good form. As the reps went on I felt better and better and got such a buzz from speeding things up. Splits for the fast bits were: 6.55, 7.16, 6.42, 6.52, 6.50, 6.07 :eek:, 6.29, 6.17. The last one was uphill and I gave it everything I had. How the hell do you fast feckers keep that pace for a whole race? :eek:

Anyway this was the best run I've had for ages and as long as the mojo is strong I'll keep plugging away. But I'll keep an eye on things and try not to overdo it. I've already reluctantly reduced days running from 6 to 5. Further blood test results later this week...fingers crossed for good news :)

5 days running is plenty

Best of luck with the blood test

Tues 25 Jun - easy

4.53m @ 9.43 Av HR 144

Lovely evening jaunt, loving summer running in shorts and vest.

Wed - rest day

Thur 27 Jun - progression run

6.84m @ 8.57 Av HR 154

The idea was to go out easy, increase the pace by around 30sec/m for 6 miles then 1m c/d. Splits 9.53, 9.28, 9.01, 8.25, 8.06, 7.54, 10.01 c/d.

This was a very difficult session. I stopped at the end of mile 4 and twice during mile 6 :o. I just found it really hard to sustain and mile 6 was really tough. Having said that I have learned a few things:

- running a session on empty at 6am never works for me, have tried it a few times and the result is always a disaster
    - I need to learn how to do these runs. I start a new mile and panic until the pace quickly gets up to where I want it. Surely the way to do this is to let the pace progress gradually over the course of the mile
    - the last time I did a progression run was before getting sick and it was a total of 6m. I made today's longer but should have gone back to where I was rather than jumping on ahead before I'm ready.

Excuses over, time for breakfast ;)

Fri 28 Jun - recovery

3.08m @ 10.52

Slow plod with the dog, wasn't gonna run but she needed a walk and I just can't walk when running is an option ;)

Sat 29 Jun - LSR

16.08m @ 9.59 Av HR 144

Didn't know if I'd even get a run this weekend as OH is away doing a marathon of his own - bike ride from Belfast to Dublin today and back tomorrow. But my lovely folks agreed to have the kids so I could get out on the road. Took a new route out and back from their place to a village 7 miles away and back via a few laps of the local park. It was great to run a new route but my achilles is niggling a bit now. Not sure if its the uneven surface for a few miles or the fact that my current shoes have over 700 miles in them :eek: Time to go shoe shopping :p

What a difference a week makes. 14 miles last week felt like a long way, today I could easily have knocked out a 20 miler :) Felt great throughout and had plenty left in the tank at the end.

Blood test results this week were much improved :D On the low end of normal but normal all the same, so I'm delighted with this. A month of eating healthy and taking supplements has made a difference and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting back to my old self :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Fri 28 Jun - recovery

3.08m @ 10.52

Slow plod with the dog, wasn't gonna run but she needed a walk and I just can't walk when running is an option ;)

Sat 29 Jun - LSR

16.08m @ 9.59 Av HR 144

Didn't know if I'd even get a run this weekend as OH is away doing a marathon of his own - bike ride from Belfast to Dublin today and back tomorrow. But my lovely folks agreed to have the kids so I could get out on the road. Took a new route out and back from their place to a village 7 miles away and back via a few laps of the local park. It was great to run a new route but my achilles is niggling a bit now. Not sure if its the uneven surface for a few miles or the fact that my current shoes have over 700 miles in them :eek: Time to go shoe shopping :p

What a difference a week makes. 14 miles last week felt like a long way, today I could easily have knocked out a 20 miler :) Felt great throughout and had plenty left in the tank at the end.

Blood test results this week were much improved :D On the low end of normal but normal all the same, so I'm delighted with this. A month of eating healthy and taking supplements has made a difference and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting back to my old self :D

what supplements are you on Runchick?
    I'm on a multi vitamin but its the Probiotic ones so they're just cheap aul things.

• Advertisement

Big Logger wrote: »
    what supplements are you on Runchick?
    I'm on a multi vitamin but its the Probiotic ones so they're just cheap aul things.

Hey BL I'm just taking a regular multivitamin too, nothing fancy. To be honest I'm not convinced of their benefits if you are eating well but can't discount my own improvements recently. In terms of diet I've made a really conscious effort to make every meal as nutrient-rich as possible, so things like adding nuts/seeds/blueberries to breakfast, replacing potato with sweet potato, using avocado instead of butter, those kind of things. I eat loads more beans and pulses, beetroot, wholegrains than I did before. So I think the diet changes have probably had as much impact as the supplement but something's working so I'm happy enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Hey BL I'm just taking a regular multivitamin too, nothing fancy. To be honest I'm not convinced of their benefits if you are eating well but can't discount my own improvements recently. In terms of diet I've made a really conscious effort to make every meal as nutrient-rich as possible, so things like adding nuts/seeds/blueberries to breakfast, replacing potato with sweet potato, using avocado instead of butter, those kind of things. I eat loads more beans and pulses, beetroot, wholegrains than I did before. So I think the diet changes have probably had as much impact as the supplement but something's working so I'm happy enough :)

When I fell while out training two years ago i done the same thing, changed the diet and looking after myself better. It made a big difference.
    I still take this multi vitamin but like you i'm not convinced since its not a proven science.
    My sisters take the female vitamin from the real health food store (not Holland & Barrett) but its too big for me to swallow it and its expensive as well. I'd rather try and get it from my diet.

Just when I thought I was getting back to full health I've gone and picked up a bit of an injury:( My achilles and lower calf have been worrying me since the weekend's LSR. I did a few slow miles on Sunday as it felt ok but could feel it after. Its the same issues I had training for DCM last year and I'm annoyed with myself as I've felt tightness in my calf for a few weeks but haven't given stretching any extra attention, doh :mad:

Anyway I'm not taking any chances. I missed many weeks of DCM training last year through injury and I'm bloody well not gonna let that happen again. I've booked in to physio this evening. Its not actually painful to touch or anything, just when I stretch the area so hopefully its not too bad yet. I've been doing RICE too and ordered new shoes as my current pair are knackered and a probable culprit.

So training wise where does this leave me? For a start Clontarf half is out :mad: I'm raging about this as I was really looking forward to it. We'll still be in Dublin so might pop along if I can convince the family to go...although the pressure will probably be on to spend the time traipsing around Dublin Zoo or such like instead:rolleyes:

I'm really hoping physio allows easy running and if so I'll treat this week as a step-back week with no sessions. All being well I will jump in to Meno's plan over the next week or two.

I've a good base built up again since Limerick with the LSR comfortably up to 16 miles so I'm not panicking about missed training at this stage. I have a 10k in 4 weeks and Belfast half in Sept so they are now the build up to DCM which is of course the main event. As frustrating as it is I have to remember "The main thing is the main thing is the main thing" (sorry RK but that is a keeper :p)

Try not to worry too much Runchick, it could just be something simple, the physio might be able to rub it out this evening. I suffer a bit with pain in my calf down to my Achilles and sometimes it feels like it can’t take my full weight, but I even find self massaging the calf for a few days helps no end. I read in someone elses log that every time you are in the shower, rub the affected area for a couple of minutes. It really helps.

I really wouldn’t worry about missing a week or so training, I know most training plans are 18 weeks, but when you’re coming off another marathon training stint and are comfortably running 16 miles, then you are already in great shape for DCM.

Thanks ncmc yeah I've been massaging the calf area but to be honest it just doesn't feel right iykwim so I really don't want to take any risks. The physio now can't see me until tomorrow, and I have to work tomorrow evening, which means no running until at least Thursday - if he even allows it - grrrr...breath deeply ;) But you're right, a bit of missed training now won't make any difference, I'm more annoyed about missing Clontarf but ain't gonna risk being out for weeks on end from racing while injured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement