Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hope it all works out for you Runchick, really hope you make the start line. Think positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks for all the positivity guys, I think its working...

Sat - LSR

18.06m @ 9.35

Headed out early still feeling croaky but hoping for worst case 12m best case 18. Started off at a nice easy 10+ min/m pace and after 7 miles or so felt great so hid the watch (this is becoming a habit) and ran to feel. Felt strong all the way, well probably getting tired after 17, got home and was surprised to see a bit of a progression run, with the last few miles around 9.05 min/m. Delighted with this but fully expecting to feel cr@p afterwards - that didn't happen :D Best thing though was that I didn't stop once for a pee - I think this is the first time ever on a long run and I really benefited from not breaking the rhythm.

Sun - recovery

4.53m @ 10.57

Lovely lazy recovery run, still lingering sore throat but nearly there.

So goalposts have changed - next week's 22m won't be a test of whether to run or not, it'll just determine what pace. DCM is on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fantastic. That's great news A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Runchick wrote: »
    T
    DCM is on :D

Hurray!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

Slow down your long runs - theres no reason to be running any faster than 10min/m's - your recovery and tempos will look after the pace.
    Oh - and well done too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Delighted for u! Well done !

Slow down your long runs - theres no reason to be running any faster than 10min/m's - your recovery and tempos will look after the pace.
    Oh - and well done too :)

Thanks Witchburner the long runs have all been slower until now - getting to the pointy end though - time for some race day speed ;) Are you running DCM yourself?

Thanks Witchburner the long runs have all been slower until now - getting to the pointy end though - time for some race day speed ;) Are you running DCM yourself?

I am RC - targeting sometime around 3:50 but anytime under 4 will suffice.
    Try to keep your legs fresh - don't go running off at race day speed for long distances -
    Are you working to a programme? If yes which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

:)

I am RC - targeting sometime around 3:50 but anytime under 4 will suffice.
    Try to keep your legs fresh - don't go running off at race day speed for long distances -
    Are you working to a programme? If yes which one?

Yeah I'm following a plan from boards, on the DCM 2012 Graduates thread. The marathon-pace work in LSRs has been built up to over the course of the plan, I have faith in it ;) Have you run a marathon before yourself? And btw best of luck with the target :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm following a plan from boards, on the DCM 2012 Graduates thread. The marathon-pace work in LSRs has been built up to over the course of the plan, I have faith in it ;) Have you run a marathon before yourself? And btw best of luck with the target :)

Ya, 2008 - for my sins and as per my opening post to you.
    Good luck with the remainder of your training.

Mon - rest

Tues - easy with strides

6.08m @ 9.50 includes 6 x 100m strides

Wed - session

10.87m @ 9.17

Included 7m @ MP, splits: 8.53, 8.48, 8.50, 8.37, 8.52, 8.51, 8.42. Only glanced at the watch, got a good feel for the pace and felt strong throughout. Didn't mind the rain but absolutely hate the wind, weather gods better play ball on 28th :rolleyes:

Thur - recovery

5.12m @ 10.30

Fri - rest

Sat - 22m easy

22.05m @ 9.48

Originally wanted to do miles 10 - 20 @ MP but erred on the side of caution. Already conscious that its only 2 weeks til race day and I woke up yesterday with a head cold :rolleyes: So decided time on feet was the best option and as I've already done a 20m and 21m run, really wanted to get 22 under the belt.

Turned out the be a very enjoyable run. Started around 10.15 min/m and pace naturally drifted up over the course of the run to around 9.15 towards the end. Forgot to take the inhaler beforehand so any thoughts of MP miles were well and truly canned anyway.

Got home feeling quite refreshed :eek: Not particularly tired, no soreness, feel like I did 12 or 13 actually. Probably could have worked harder but glad I didn't push things and risk not getting to the start line healthy. That's the main goal now. Slightly concerned that lack of MP miles will cost me the sub 4 target but honestly all I'm after is a strong race. If it takes a bit longer I'm absolutely fine with that. Roll on 28th :D

Sun - recovery

5.19m @ 10.30

Nice slow run to round off the week with almost 50 miles. Glad to get this under the belt after all the missed training. Taper time :)

Mon - rest

Tues - 4m easy

4.7m @ 9.27

Meant to run 10min/m but found myself at MP without much effort. Had to really try to slow things down.

Wed - rest

Not gonna do a MP session until tomorrow. Still not 100% and honestly 50/50 as to whether I'll run on 28th. Its driving me absolutely nuts - I've had 2 weeks on antibiotics and now, although the infection is cleared, have lingering congestion. Not enough to stop me running, RHR is fine, but I'm not quite right and certainly wouldn't run a marathon like this. So I'll just have to hope it clears up in time :(

On the plus side, when I run I feel strong, the effort feels easy and apart from the lingering illness, I feel in great shape. Had a rub at physio today and the legs are ready for action.

The kids and OH have the same thing, we're all congested, so I don't think its something I have from too much training, just the joys of family life.

Anyway moan over. I'm planning a shortened taper week, probably just 5m @ MP tomorrow instead of the prescribed 8, and a very easy 12m on the weekend...I'm keeping fingers crossed to make the start :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sensible thinking RC, fingers crossed that you make it to the start line though!

How are you feeling now, Runchick? All ok?

murphd77 wrote: »
    How are you feeling now, Runchick? All ok?

Hey Murph my dcm dream is over for this year unfortunately :( Still not feeling well, been to doctor and have to undergo more tests, chest xrays and things to try to get to the bottom of things...my gut feeling is my body's had enough and is screaming for a break. I kinda hoped it would hold out until after next week but I think it knows what I'm planning and its telling me to pi$$ off :eek:

Doc reckons I've underestimated the effects of running until I collapsed in Limerick as I haven't been right since...big lesson in listening to your body and knowing when things aren't right...time for a break :rolleyes:

So while all of you bust a gut getting over that finish line, I'll be there on the sidelines cheering you all on...very best of luck to everyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ah, gutted for you Runchick. It was funny, I was just thinking about you and RedRunner this morning and wondering were either of you going to be able to run. Very, very disappointing after all your hard work. Definitely sounds like you need to rest up a bit, maybe three marathons in one year is a bit too much of a stretch for relatively ‘newbie’ marathoners like us, it does mean you’re going from one training plan to the next without getting any real break.

Take a proper break now, cut the mileage back and run for pleasure rather than training for something specific. I’m sure you’ll be back to your best and planning your next marathon before you know it!

ncmc wrote: »
    Ah, gutted for you Runchick. It was funny, I was just thinking about you and RedRunner this morning and wondering were either of you going to be able to run. Very, very disappointing after all your hard work. Definitely sounds like you need to rest up a bit, maybe three marathons in one year is a bit too much of a stretch for relatively ‘newbie’ marathoners like us, it does mean you’re going from one training plan to the next without getting any real break.

Take a proper break now, cut the mileage back and run for pleasure rather than training for something specific. I’m sure you’ll be back to your best and planning your next marathon before you know it!

Thanks ncmc yes definitely planning a proper break, plenty of walking with the dog and some slow short runs for fun...I haven't taken a proper break since dcm last year and clearly this is a problem! OH thinks he can get me in to cycling now - that's never gonna happen :p...having a ballot place for London kind of softens the blow so here's hoping I can get back on track properly this time and get to the start line in London happy and healthy ;)

How are you? Have you found the love for running again yet?

Aw gutted for u Runchick after all your hard work, however glad you've been sensible n listening to your body, would be a bigger blow to go do DCM n suffer n be disappointed with the result esp if that resulted in a DNF, it would knock your confidence so relax now, give your body a break n look ahead to London '14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sorry to hear that Runchick, very disappointing! Looking forward to meeting you hopefully this weekend anyway. You'll be back with a bang soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

sorry to hear that, no doubt you'll be back stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ah f€ck. sorry to hear that.

P&D sucks!

On a serious note, mixing some cycling into your plan might well be the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hard luck A. I expect you're very disappointed but as you say having London to look forward to softens the blow a bit. And you'll be well sorted with Meno's plan for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Sorry to hear that Runchick, hope you get yourself sorted soon. Real shame for you after what happened in Limerick but we will all be well jealous reading your report from London next year.

Really sorry to hear that RC. And I had visions of us cruising through the finish line together in 3;55 with the Chariots of Fire music in the background heading straight for McGrattans and plonking ourselves at the bar and downing a pint, followed by a "Ahhh...worth waiting for" :);):D

Will let you knwo how I get on in the physio later. I could be joining you on the DNS list.

Take care.

Never mind A - all the cool kids get scraped off the ground in GLR and then get injured or sick before Dublin. I think we should form a club and deliberately exclude anyone who finishes all of their marathons and is perfectly healthy.

Bad luck but sounds like you made the right call with this RC. Rest up now and enjoy the runs for what they are for the next while. I always enjoy your log so im looking forward to following your London buildup and your crowning glory!

So sorry to hear your out Runchick but agree it's the best decision when you've been under the weather for so long. All that great training will stand to you later down the road and hey London 2014 now that's something to be looking forward to. Hopefully get to meet you in the pub after :D Mind yourself.

• Advertisement

Terrible news but obviously the right decision. Hope the rest does the trick. Everything's a learning opportunity in the long run. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

+1 to the sentiments everyone is posting. Right choice and braver choice to pull out now. Gutted for you of course.

New runner wrote: »
    Aw gutted for u Runchick after all your hard work, however glad you've been sensible n listening to your body, would be a bigger blow to go do DCM n suffer n be disappointed with the result esp if that resulted in a DNF, it would knock your confidence so relax now, give your body a break n look ahead to London '14

Thanks NR any more marathons on the cards for you?
    blockic wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Runchick, very disappointing! Looking forward to meeting you hopefully this weekend anyway. You'll be back with a bang soon!

You can cheer me up by actually posting a chicago race report :p
    sorry to hear that, no doubt you'll be back stronger.

And you :)
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Ah f€ck. sorry to hear that.

P&D sucks!

On a serious note, mixing some cycling into your plan might well be the way to go

Reluctantly getting my bike ready for winter, dam you bike-heads ;)
    Hard luck A. I expect you're very disappointed but as you say having London to look forward to softens the blow a bit. And you'll be well sorted with Meno's plan for next year.

Def no probs knowing what plan to follow, for sure!
    dazza21ie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Runchick, hope you get yourself sorted soon. Real shame for you after what happened in Limerick but we will all be well jealous reading your report from London next year.

Haha I hope so - goal for next year - start and finish a marathon - simple as that!
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that RC. And I had visions of us cruising through the finish line together in 3;55 with the Chariots of Fire music in the background heading straight for McGrattans and plonking ourselves at the bar and downing a pint, followed by a "Ahhh...worth waiting for" :);):D

Will let you knwo how I get on in the physio later. I could be joining you on the DNS list.

Take care.

Haha RR keep that vision in mind for next April! Hope things work out for you too :)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Never mind A - all the cool kids get scraped off the ground in GLR and then get injured or sick before Dublin. I think we should form a club and deliberately exclude anyone who finishes all of their marathons and is perfectly healthy.

:D
    Bad luck but sounds like you made the right call with this RC. Rest up now and enjoy the runs for what they are for the next while. I always enjoy your log so im looking forward to following your London buildup and your crowning glory!

I need some of your optimism OP :D
    DOCO12 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear your out Runchick but agree it's the best decision when you've been under the weather for so long. All that great training will stand to you later down the road and hey London 2014 now that's something to be looking forward to. Hopefully get to meet you in the pub after :D Mind yourself.

Thanks DOCO - best of luck on Monday - I've no doubt you'll smash the goal :D
    Terrible news but obviously the right decision. Hope the rest does the trick. Everything's a learning opportunity in the long run. :(

Cheers Murph, all the best for Monday, no bother to you ;)
    +1 to the sentiments everyone is posting. Right choice and braver choice to pull out now. Gutted for you of course.

Cheers PM, great to see you back on the road :)

Thanks to everyone here for amazing support and camaraderie through all the training, I couldn't imagine any running club out there being able to provide the advice and support gained through boards...some might think I should give up but I'm a persistent so-and-so and have every intention of successfully running a marathon in 2014 - in the mean time I can't wait for all the race reports to come flooding in next week :D

I'm out too RC.:(

Ah well, I don't feel too bad actually as like you I feel that having the London entry has softened the blow.

Get well soon and looking forward to comparing training logs for London over the Winter!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

:( , sorry to hear your out Runchick, but echo the sentiments of the rest of the posters, your health has to come first but at least while those of us who are still able to do DCM will be wondering on Tuesday morning on how to fill the void left you'll planning for the big race in London ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Was really gutted to hear your news Runchick but you will have such a great base after this year going into London you'll fly it - I hope your eyes are still on that prize and i really hope the recovery goes well for you - London will be amazing

• Advertisement

I'm back in the game. Over 3 weeks of absolutely no running which wasn't too bad as I really wasn't feeling great anyway. Went for a few runs last week but a horrible gastro virus swept through the Runchick house resulting in a few nasty days a false start to the return to training.

Anyhoos all much better now and I headed out for a glorious 4 miler today..I just knew I was ready to run again as I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time and can feel energy levels getting back to where I want them.

So now I embark on what will be my 3rd 4-hour marathon training cycle for the year :eek:...general plan is to build miles again slowly for the rest of this month, get long run up to 18m by Christmas and throw in a few park runs and a 10k in Dec along the way. Marathon specific training for London will start after Christmas - hopefully I can hack the pace this time :rolleyes:

On a positive note all my old niggles - tender achilles, tight calves, twinging quads have completely vanished and my legs really do feel brand new. I feel properly rested and raring to go.

Training will be trickier now as OH will be away with work a fair bit so recovery runs might have to be replaced with sessions on the turbo trainer, also I won't be able to squeeze in many 5.30am runs - I am seriously disappointed about this!

Plan for the week ahead:

Tues - 5
    Thur - 4
    Sat - 8
    Sun - 4

Putting it down here will hopefully keep me honest :p

Great to hear you're back RC, you will nail the sub4 for sure.
    I'm 95% sure I'll be joining ye all in London 2014, just waiting on final confirmation. Another marathon cycle is scaring me right now!

Great to hear you're back RC, you will nail the sub4 for sure.
    I'm 95% sure I'll be joining ye all in London 2014, just waiting on final confirmation. Another marathon cycle is scaring me right now!

Brilliant OP, looks like a good few of us dong it then! Don't be scared, 20-mile runs are great craic :P

Great to hear it A - where better to beat your target than London?

I'm back in the game. Over 3 weeks of absolutely no running which wasn't too bad as I really wasn't feeling great anyway. Went for a few runs last week but a horrible gastro virus swept through the Runchick house resulting in a few nasty days a false start to the return to training.

Anyhoos all much better now and I headed out for a glorious 4 miler today..I just knew I was ready to run again as I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time and can feel energy levels getting back to where I want them.

So now I embark on what will be my 3rd 4-hour marathon training cycle for the year :eek:...general plan is to build miles again slowly for the rest of this month, get long run up to 18m by Christmas and throw in a few park runs and a 10k in Dec along the way. Marathon specific training for London will start after Christmas - hopefully I can hack the pace this time :rolleyes:

On a positive note all my old niggles - tender achilles, tight calves, twinging quads have completely vanished and my legs really do feel brand new. I feel properly rested and raring to go.

Training will be trickier now as OH will be away with work a fair bit so recovery runs might have to be replaced with sessions on the turbo trainer, also I won't be able to squeeze in many 5.30am runs - I am seriously disappointed about this!

Plan for the week ahead:

Tues - 5
    Thur - 4
    Sat - 8
    Sun - 4

Putting it down here will hopefully keep me honest :p
    Wud u believe I was just wondering an hour or so ago how u were getting on n thought must message u and see. Delighted to hear u feeling better n back out again. Here's to u continuing to get back up to full fitness again n that 4hr marathon is def in sight.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Welcome back!

Great to see ya back Runchick, have I mentioned how jealous I am of you doing London ?! :D it will be class, looking forward to that will def help the winter go quicker .

21 mile week done, all slow easy running 10+ min/m:

Tues 6.1m - really felt it after 5 miles and wondered how I ever ran 20 miles in training :eek:

Thur - 3.1m run followed by 1hr pilates class - absolutely loved this even though I was shocked at how inflexible I am :o Only way I'll def do core work though so will be part of the weekly routine

Sat - 8.3m - felt comfortable thankfully and really enjoyed the run

Sun - 4.1m - early plod through the local trails - autumn is by far the best time of year for running.

For the first time in a long time I feel like my running is putting credit in to the energy bank and not withdrawing as it was before. Aim is to keep it this way and be alert to sings of over-doing things. So the week ahead - similar to last week but up to around 25 miles with a 10m LSR. Still got a lingering sore throat so not out of the woods yet.

Great see u getting back up there again, u have had a rough time, do u still have take inhalers? A preventer all the time, or just ventolin b4 exercising?
    Don't overdo it till that sore throat mends completely
    ( sorry that's the nurse talking instead of the want -to-be- runner lol!

New runner wrote: »
    Great see u getting back up there again, u have had a rough time, do u still have take inhalers? A preventer all the time, or just ventolin b4 exercising?
    Don't overdo it till that sore throat mends completely
    ( sorry that's the nurse talking instead of the want -to-be- runner lol!

Thanks NR yep still puffing away! Only before exercise - well anything over a few miles really. Yeah the throat thing is so annoying - hasn't been right for months now grrr. Didn't know you were a nurse! How's your training going? I saw you can't do Derry mara, have you thought about an alternative?

Training going ok, tho still feel, n know, I'm slower than I was in the spring :-(
    Tho I also know I've over half stone on so that definately doesn't help. No can't do the omagh half but the Inishowen half is apparently the week after so I'll hopefully do that. Can do Derry marathon tho, registered on day 1, last Monday, at the moment that is my goal race for 2014, but know will need do a lot of work b4 that. Plan to join a gym maybe n do some weights n core work as this past 6 months or more I only ran n done minimal strength n conditioning or anything.
    Hopefully u will feel back to normal soon again. My 3 kids are asthmatic n are on strong puffers n singular tabs also. Not the nicest ailment but could b worse.
    All the best n good look with your onward n upward journey
    Henrietta is my name btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick just something to consider re sore throat, make sure you're taking your inhalers before brushing your teeth and give your mouth a good rinse, they can make your throat sore otherwise... Could be unrelated and you might already know that, if so ignore me :-)

Tues - 6.1m - had to do a fair bit of juggling to fit this in with OH being away - I really miss being able to get up at 5.30 and just go out for a run :(

Wed - 3.3m - hadn't planned to run but the chance was there and I grabbed it - even though it was raining and blowing a gale :rolleyes:

Thur - 3.2m followed by 1hr pilates...love, love love this :D

Sat - 10.1m - great to get a decent run again - even though I'd sore ribs from falling down the stairs - doh! and sore abs from pilates :eek:

Sun - 4.4m early misty peaceful plod through the local trails, bliss :)

27 miles this week - all slow pace. Getting a bit peeved that I still have a sore throat (has been 4 months now) and am reluctant to run any faster in case it moves in to my chest again. Ah well, otherwise I'm feeling good - plenty of energy, so I'll keep things slow and continue building the miles. Have earmarked a 10k on 21 Dec - throat allowing :rolleyes:

Falling down the stairs? Take it easy there, A. Mind you, the pilates should help your balance. :D

Falling down the stairs? Take it easy there, A. Mind you, the pilates should help your balance. :D

Haha I know I really shouldn't be left on my own :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement