Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taming the marathon beast...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey NR not really much better, didn't run at all last week as it got in to my chest again and I know from experience a run just makes things worse. Saw GP again and started antibiotics so hoping to get back out running later this week. He doesn't have a problem with me training for and running a marathon as long as this doesn't come back again before then. Far from ideal but hopeful I can stay healthy after this to get a few more decent weeks training in. At this rate I'll be walking London marathon with the street sweeper behind me :( Ah well, I'm staying positive, not much else I can do!

How's your training going?

That's really unlucky, sorry to hear that RC.:( Hope things improve for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

New runner wrote: »
    Aw for gods sake u certainly are getting it rough,can't believe that,u must b pure sickened,:(
    But fair play to u for staying positive n battling on. U will do it n better than u expect so keep u that positivity n don't push yourself too hard for couple weeks,your health is more important. Really feel for u with all you've been through.
    Thankfully I'm doing ok,training hard n its fine line wondering if I am pushing too hard too soon n possibly getting injured,fingers crossed will get to starting line 1st June injury free.did my 1st race of the yr last Sunday week,wee 5k n was pleased,no PB but not too far away, 21.54 which was much better than I thought so happy enuf.my lsr I've done 17m last Saturday but it's still 14+ weeks away so unsure if I'll manage keep up the intensity, hope so! all the very best n here's wishing u a speedy recovery back to full health.

Hey NR sounds like you're back in super form! Well done on the 5k and best of luck with the rest of the training :D
    RedRunner wrote: »
    That's really unlucky, sorry to hear that RC.:( Hope things improve for you soon.

Cheers RR hardly unlucky - didn't listen to the body last long run and am paying for it :( You're training is going so well, delighted for ya!!

Update time...so last logged run here was a very hard 19 miles. After that I took 2 weeks off running with the usual throat and chest problems and more or less resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be running London Marathon.

Then I starting feeling better so starting training again, ran 30 miles last week including a 14 mile long run. All much slower than before but very enjoyable and all except long run watch free. This week my non running life has been hectic but I've managed 37 miles over 4 runs including a much more comfortable 19 miles today. Was able to pick up the pace for the last few miles which made me think...hmmm flights are paid for, hotel is booked, babysitter organised, so feck it I'll be running London afterall. I probably won't be any faster than DCM 2012 :o but don't particularly care about that. Throat is still a big issue though so not counting any chickens just yet but just happy to be able to run. All being well I'll do another 14 mile long run next week, 20 the following week then taper. A 'get me round' plan I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Update time...so last logged run here was a very hard 19 miles. After that I took 2 weeks off running with the usual throat and chest problems and more or less resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be running London Marathon.

Then I starting feeling better so starting training again, ran 30 miles last week including a 14 mile long run. All much slower than before but very enjoyable and all except long run watch free. This week my non running life has been hectic but I've managed 37 miles over 4 runs including a much more comfortable 19 miles today. Was able to pick up the pace for the last few miles which made me think...hmmm flights are paid for, hotel is booked, babysitter organised, so feck it I'll be running London afterall. I probably won't be any faster than DCM 2012 :o but don't particularly care about that. Throat is still a big issue though so not counting any chickens just yet but just happy to be able to run. All being well I'll do another 14 mile long run next week, 20 the following week then taper. A 'get me round' plan I suppose...

Delighted that you've decided to run it. Once in a life time experience by all account (unless you run it again :D ) so make sure you enjoy the fact that you are running against mo farah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Everything crossed for you A - never mind the clock; once you're well enough to do it just enjoy the experience. Looking forward to hearing what it's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Everything crossed for you A - never mind the clock; once you're well enough to do it just enjoy the experience. Looking forward to hearing what it's like.

+1 Hope you make the start line and get to enjoy it!

Delighted to hear of your return RC. Looking forward to saying hello in London at the start line.:)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Delighted that you've decided to run it. Once in a life time experience by all account (unless you run it again :D ) so make sure you enjoy the fact that you are running against mo farah!!

Absolutely, life's too short :D

Cheers C can't bloody wait!
    blockic wrote: »
    +1 Hope you make the start line and get to enjoy it!

Me too!
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Delighted to hear of your return RC. Looking forward to saying hello in London at the start line.:)

Def RR you speedy folk can keep me a seat at the pub after ;)

21.7 mile run in the bag, picked up pace for last 2 mile, c'mon London, let's be havin ya :)

21.7 mile run in the bag, picked up pace for last 2 mile, c'mon London, let's be havin ya :)

Brilliant. Start line here you come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    Brilliant. Start line here you come!

+1. Great to see.

Brill...well done:)

Great stuff. Now get a big roll of bubble wrap and roll yourself up in it for the next 3 weeks!

Great stuff. Now get a big roll of bubble wrap and roll yourself up in it for the next 3 weeks!

Haha!! Mind you that sounds a bit too like marathon training of old, this time it feels more like getting ready for a party :eek: So excited...only 3 weeks to figure out what to wear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Brilliant!!!!! :D

Deadly :)

4 mile recovery this morning to round off the week with 43 miles, highest mileage week :eek: Included 8m with 6 steady on Wednesday and yesterdays long 'un. Did about 30 mile last week but was feeling fairly ropey.

Feeling reasonably good for the first time in months now though, doc put me on strong antibiotics for a few weeks in an attempt to get me to the start line and things seem to be going to plan :) Might do 10m with 8 steady on Wed then taper down the weekend long run 12 mile, 8 mile.

Race number - check
    New runners broken in - check
    Last long run - check
    Much needed sports massage - check (Was so sore I actually screamed :o)

Looks like I'm ready :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

4 mile recovery this morning to round off the week with 43 miles, highest mileage week :eek: Included 8m with 6 steady on Wednesday and yesterdays long 'un. Did about 30 mile last week but was feeling fairly ropey.

Feeling reasonably good for the first time in months now though, doc put me on strong antibiotics for a few weeks in an attempt to get me to the start line and things seem to be going to plan :) Might do 10m with 8 steady on Wed then taper down the weekend long run 12 mile, 8 mile.

Race number - check
    New runners broken in - check
    Last long run - check
    Much needed sports massage - check (Was so sore I actually screamed :o)

Looks like I'm ready :D

Bring on the taper madness !

4 mile recovery this morning

Surely you mean last night??!! :p

• Advertisement

Surely you mean last night??!! :p

Day's half over, didn't ya know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Brilliant RC, delighted for u.

Tues - 4 easy miles

Wed - 9.5m with 8 steady. Have been building this midweek run for the last 3 weeks - 4, 6 then 8 at steady effort. Have noticed pace is getting a tad faster but effort staying the same so taking that as a sign of increased fitness. The pace is faster than PMP so hoping the effort on the day will feel easy peasy (well for about 18 miles anyway;)).

That's the last run of any effort before the big day for me. Throat thing reappearing since Monday (although not too bad probably because of antibiotics which finish tomorrow) and RHR a bit higher than it had been. Now its 2 weeks of running enough to tick over, getting RHR back down and getting to that start line rested and healthy. Feeling lucky to have got this far and fairly pleased with myself for judging the training load just enough to get to the start line without getting sick again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Delighted that you're doing so well running wise. Fingers crossed you have a great day in London :D

Thur - 3.4 recovery miles then 1 hour pilates. I swear this has been my saving grace for not getting injured.

Sat - 12m easy, was very easy indeed, wasn't feeling well and considered not running at all (sinus/throat cr@p kicking in again :mad:) but headed out anyway and as usual felt grand and so much better after :)

Sun - 4.5 easy miles

March summary

157 miles. Includes 2 very comfortable LSRs - 19.1 and 21.7 miles - so I'm confident this is enough to get me round London in one piece.

Obviously nowhere near the training I would like to have under the belt this close to the marathon but the best I could manage under the circumstances.

Was thinking about this while running today - Jan and Feb were plagued with illness so March had been a great improvement.

I've been effectively a single-mum midweek since Christmas so midweek running takes a huge amount of juggling. Oh boy how I miss the days of heading out the door at 5.30am and getting the miles in before OH went to work - those were the days :(.

This stupid sinus problem has caused huge grief. Getting it sorted is a long waiting game - months away yet. In the meantime I have to be very careful about balancing training with rest. One of the symptoms is fatigue so add too much training stress to that and bang - immune system overload and infection strikes.

Anyway at least I know this now and am managing it. Running is certainly the biggest stress reliever I have and I ain't for giving it up. For now running slower will just have to do. All this and still doing London marathon absolutely rocks - bring it on :D

Managed 5 runs this week although have a head cold so focus is on clearing that over the next week. All fairly short runs including 5 with 4 steady and 8 miles yesterday. RHR back down to 47 which is low for me these days (although this time last year was 43/ 44).

To say I'm excited about London is such an understatement. Absolutely can't wait :D Will probably only do 2 short runs this week and concentrate on rest, vit c and positive thinking ;)

Friend of mine is currenty running Paris (first marathon and only 16m LSR under the belt :eek:) and of course the boardsies in Manchester today are really adding to the excitement...one more week :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Managed 5 runs this week although have a head cold so focus is on clearing that over the next week. All fairly short runs including 5 with 4 steady and 8 miles yesterday. RHR back down to 47 which is low for me these days (although this time last year was 43/ 44).

To say I'm excited about London is such an understatement. Absolutely can't wait :D Will probably only do 2 short runs this week and concentrate on rest, vit c and positive thinking ;)

Friend of mine is currenty running Paris (first marathon and only 16m LSR under the belt :eek:) and of course the boardsies in Manchester today are really adding to the excitement...one more week :D:D

Absolute best of luck, you so deserve a good run! Mind yourself this week and have blast! Are the family going with you?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Absolute best of luck, you so deserve a good run! Mind yourself this week and have blast! Are the family going with you?

Thanks Sam, travelling sans kids which is part of the excitement :P

I hear you Mrs! Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck next week Runchick - you've done very well to get to where you are. Enjoy it!

Are ye staying in strand palace/ meeting us in coal hole afterwards??

• Advertisement

Are ye staying in strand palace/ meeting us in coal hole afterwards??

yep staying at the strand palace so hopefully meet up with a few boardsies beforehand and follow you lot to the start line :P Coal hole afterwards for sure, mind you by the time I get there you speedsters will be in fine tune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

All the very best for Sunday, well done on persevering with all your illness n your determination to see it through. Enjoy n reep your rewards.

Wed - 4.5m easy with 2 at PMP. Not panicking yet but throat is quite sore and chest was a bit tight during this run :( This is the usual pattern for me and ends up with a chest infection. I can handle that but 4 days before a marathon this bloody thing can go feck itself. Hopefully a few early nights and plenty of fluids keep it from getting worse until after Sunday.

I'm gonna forget about that and focus on the positives:

- no injurues - in fact legs feeling strong and ready for action
    - RHR lowest it has been all year - 45 this week
    - I'm mentally ready for this - time isn't really important but a strong finish is and I've managed a strong finish at the end of long runs
    - I'm a lucky so and so to have this opportunity - London marathon baby :cool:

Basic race day plan, go out with 4.15 pacers and see what happens.

Plan A - stay with them and sneak ahead in the last few miles
    Plan B - stay with them and hang on to cross the line with them
    Plan C - a PB (4.27 from DCM 12)
    Plan D - get a medal at all costs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

All the best Runchick. Have a fantastic experience and stay positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Sunday, but more importantly, ENJOY it! London is a fantastic experience, soak up the atmosphere and support (plus those out having bbq's and beers!). The cutty sark, and tower bridge are amazing. The final couple of miles are something else too, the crowds are fantastic.

A little tip, around the 14 mile mark you'll be running along a dual carriage way, run on the left hand side by the barrier and you'll get a good view of the elite runners coming in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Will be looking on jealously Runchick! Best of luck, hope you you enjoy it all.

Can you give us your race no for tracking purposes ( if you don't we will just get detective Career Move to find it anyway !)

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Will be looking on jealously Runchick! Best of luck, hope you you enjoy it all.

Can you give us your race no for tracking purposes ( if you don't we will just get detective Career Move to find it anyway !)

Oh jaysus this makes it real - 2326 :D

The very best of luck to you on Sunday A.

Make the very most of it and enjoy every second...never mind the time, just savour the experience! :)

Fingers and toes crossed that you have a super race. So excited for you - hope you enjoy every moment (even the bits where it hurts!!!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck RC, you deserve a good day if anyone does!

• Advertisement

Have a great trip A and enjoy the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

Good luck Runchick. Take it really easy till Sunday and get to the start line. I hope you have a great race and get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Best of luck Runchick - enjoy the whole experience and hope everything goes as planned, lucky lucky girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The very best of luck runchick! Another one I'll be tracking. Sher by this time next week you'll only be a little bit sore. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Enjoy the race & the atmosphere Runchick, and best of luck with it.
    You deserve a good race - no doubt it'll be Sunday.

great positive vibes here guys, much appreciated :D Did a few slow miles this morning then pilates class. Felt ok then but tbh have been feeling crap for most of the day. Not too bad now thankfully so I really think I'll be better tomorrow and feeling fantastic (well maybe thats a stretch ;)) by sunday morning. Nothing but r&r between now then.

Got my charity running vest this morning (thought I should raise a few quid as I haven't bothered in other races) and am packing now - so excited :D The support on here is unreal so thank you so anyone who has been following my misadventures. There is no buzz like the marathon - I'm absolutely addicted - yes, I know - concentrate on shorter distances, speed, blah, blah bah...for me life's too short - the 26.2 is what its all about - can't wait to get that medal on sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tamed !

Marathons are never easy but to deliver a PB on the back of all the illness you've had to deal with is AMAZING.

Congrats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1

Great run, Angie. Gutsy!

• Advertisement

Well done, you so deserved the PB. Plenty would have given up long ago with all you have had to deal with. Enjoy the break.

Advertisement