Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

route to market?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

hi,
    I am in the process of trademarking a logo I designed. The logo is geared towards promoting Dublin and I intend to have it printed onto mugs, fridge magnets, tote bags and a few other items...
    I think the largest market for these products will be tourists.
    I hope to get stock from promotional product companies based in Ireland (any other sources identified would be greatly considered).

I'm seeking advice in what I should do to have retailers stock my products?

I must add that this is my first business venture and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Should I get a few samples of each, identify the unit price to the retailer and enter their stores asking to speak with someone involved in purchasing?

How do I get to the right person? Is there another/better strategy?

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tourists offices have there own dublin logo so won't stick another one as it will compete with their brand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

ted1 wrote: »
    Tourists offices have there own dublin logo so won't stick another one as it will compete with their brand

I get your point but I dont think 'Tourist Offices' is the only possible point of sale for this. Also Dublin does not have any particular single logo... Dublin City Council has the three castles and Dublin GAA has a logo but Dublin does not have any single defining logo...my 'logo' does not aim to trump what exists but the design is clever and appealing and I think it will connect with individuals looking to find a momento or product that expresses their fondness for the city via something new/different..

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dublin Tourism do have a logo that is used in all branding and merchandise.

There is no one single logo becuse of trade marks and copyright. basically no one is willing to pay for a licence, which is waht you would be offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was unaware that an individual could trademark a logo for a city...

anyway, there's also http://www.dublin.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Lets assume the OP has a really catchy unique quirky design/logo, he can protect it's copyright by claiming it as a Trade Mark without having to go the full hog of registering it. It is then protected.

OP go into one of the Carrols Irish Gift shops and check their prices for similar types of items, assume they have at least 60% gross margin on their selling prices, factor in the VAT and then see how your costs/ pricing compares. These are the kind of outlets that you need to be able to interest in your products but you need to have your homework done properly on the numbers or they will just run you! Using the promotional suppliers is fine for sorting samples and initial artwork etc etc, but will never get you to the price points you will need to meet for retailer supply business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

ted1 wrote: »
    Dublin Tourism do have a logo that is used in all branding and merchandise.

There is no one single logo becuse of trade marks and copyright. basically no one is willing to pay for a licence, which is waht you would be offering.

Could you provide a link to Dublin Tourism's merchandise...i cant find anything online...

I am not offering to licence my goods. I am hoping to approach stores where I think my products will fit and ask if they are interested in buying a number of items (perhaps on consignment [advice needed about using consignment?]) and go from there... the point of tradmarking my design is so no one else rips it off if it becomes popular...

Just to give an idea of scale; I would like this to become a side business for me, not provide a single wage I can live on.. I work part time at the moment and I am comfortable...If this could earn 15,000 a year it would be amazing..

Peter Dalkey...thanks for this information... the promotional product route to get stock is the simplest at this stage...if I could generate sales then I can source the products from China perhaps (you might be able to advise on this :) As for Carolls gift shop, I think i'll try to find stockists with smaller/ single store retailers first...

thanks

Advertisement